Running Information Forums
Journey to sub 33k... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Journey to sub 33k... (/Thread-Journey-to-sub-33k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 13-06-2016

skeldol, for development to move in the right direction, do not look to run faster but instead to feel more relaxed during the quality sessions

the chances of being more trained for 5k would be correct, though you would still be able to cope with a decent 10k

you must focus on adaptation before looking for improvement

less is still better and if you able to increase your aerobic run without complications you should get improvement all round

here's hoping everything improves

TheEd
ps.. please ask further questions, you making improvement BUT shouldn't be looking at the improvement continually

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 13-06-2016

is the idea to keep at current pace & just aim to feel more relaxed to prevent injury?

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 14-06-2016

that would be best, staying injury free is the plan for now

when do you have your next test / race?

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 14-06-2016

staying injury free sounds like a great plan! Smile

ive got my local fell race on 25/6. however i see that more as an exercise in stying in one piece than any real test Wink

then i plan on a park run on 9/7.

i do not have any 10ks planned until end of august.

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 17-06-2016

this week ended-up being a difficult one for me to get my runs in due to work & family committments. i had to run on monday which is normally a recovery day for me. i extended my run on monday by 10 minutes to 120 minutes because i wasnt sure if i'd get a long run in this week. tuesday i did my usual bike session in the gym, i was tired from monday so kept it very light. yesterday i had a work enforced rest day & it was yesterday that i started to notice a slight niggle on the inside of my right knee. i got up this morning & the niggle was worse, still only slight but definately worse. so i cancelled today's 5*2k session. i'm away hiking this weekend so i think its sensible to cancel the rest of the weeks runs & kick off again on monday. if the niggle is gone by sunday i was gonna kick off week 2 but if not i'll look at doing short easy runs.

sound sensible? lucky i'm not overly bothered about next saturdays fell race!

thanks
skeldol

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 17-06-2016

the cycling could affect the knee if the saddle height is not right

please check that out

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 17-06-2016

just looked into this. i've been setting the height so my leg is straight when the peddle is fully extended. i'll make sure it has a slight bend next time (20o apparently). thanks TheEd. i'm guessing a few days off running is still sensible?

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 20-06-2016

on thursday by 10am the niggle had disappeared. i decided i was being a drama queen so did the 5*2k. the track was busy so went on the road instead. the average was 3:45, i set of on a 6th interval by mistake, was 3 minutes in before i realized.

went for an "easy" run with friends on saturday. was harder than i expected due to it being the day after the 5*2k & involving 500m of climbing.

no niggle today. i'm going to avoid cycling this week.

got the fell race on saturday. i wasn't too bothered about my time until someone pegged me @ 43 mins (which was my hoped for time). now i need to beat 43 mins Wink

i saw jo pavey did a "slow" sub 16 5k in the us recently. i always get inspired by the times jo can run, gives me hope i can get to sub 35 10k as an old man in his 40s.

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 20-06-2016

lol skeldol, set off on 6th one before you realised Big Grin

must be careful to give yourself rest after that session, so as to avoid problems

Jo, certainly an inspiration

1k session coming up

TheEd
ps.. wrong saddle height can cause major leg problems, I am a great fan of using biking for recovery, but no all too much how things can go wrong so easily. Achieving aerobic on the bike is the aim, getting that right without tiring the legs after or before quality sessions, is often difficult to get right

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 22-06-2016

hello TheEd

i've got a question. as i'm only running three maybe four days a week i've just been oscillating week 1 & 2 as they seem much more demanding than week 3.

i'm only doing week 3 when i actually have a race.

do you think its reasonable to continue in this way or should i look to be doing week 3 religiously? week 3 seems like a taper week that doesn't actually get you fitter?