Running Information Forums
Journey to sub 33k... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Journey to sub 33k... (/Thread-Journey-to-sub-33k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 09-09-2015

I picked this up after this mornings run, ended-up doing 30 mins (decided to stick to plan).

Tuesday's interval session went ok. Strangely enough the interval average pace was almost exatly the same as last time, 3:37.0 this time compared to 3:36.7 last time.

The splits are:

Avg Pace----Max HR----Avg Run Cadence
03:35.9------167--------176
03:35.7------173--------171
03:36.5------177--------172
03:35.5------179--------170
03:38.3------182--------169
03:40.0------181--------170

I've been carrying a slight infestion since Monday night. I think this may have affected the interval session. Also last time I wasn't on the track & I always find GPS a little generous compared to proper timed laps Wink. Anyway I'm happy with the stats & looking forward to cracking a 3:35 average one day soon.

I notice your article (posted on another thread) implies to drop training if you have a virus but if I do this I imagine no training for weeks. At the moment I feel fine in the day (I run first thing) but feel really tired after work. Hope its OK to carry on running, expect Saturday might not be as fast as I hoped for though (18:30 or quicker is the current dream)....

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 10-09-2015

after Day 3 to Day 8, things should start getting easier, and it is best to sort out any complications you have, it is the change of season, so the chances of things happening is normal

please keep me informed

hopefully you have a decent paced run, but do not over-exert yourself

good luck

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 13-09-2015

I'm ending this cycle on week 2 as I have a race in 3 weeks.

Mon: 10k @ 5:10/km avHR 145
Tue: 6*1k intervals @ 3:37 maxHR182
Wed: 6k @ 5:44/km avHR 145
Thu: 11k @ 5:42 avHR 146
Fri: Rest
Sat: Parkrun 5k @ 3:42 maxHR189
Sun: 12k @ 5:38/km avHR 147

The cold got a bit worse on Thursday & the easy 60 became a hard 60 (should have stayed in bed). Luckily it was on its way out by Saturday & I managed a new PB on the parkrun of 18:32. So thats 6 seconds in 2 weeks with av HR 1 beat lower. If I could shave off 6 seconds every 2 weeks I'd be a happy man.

Time-----Max HR-----Avg Run Cadence
03:40.3---171----------168
03:40.9---176----------166
03:35.1---181----------168
03:42.5---184----------164
03:34.5---189----------166

I'll see what cycle 3 brings but I'm currently thinking a 3:51 target pace for Winsford 10k on 4/10.

I managed to run today afterall albeit with no sleep a hangover & way earlier than I wanted to get out of bed.

At the moment when I run the paced 5k I'm choosing a pace of 1k interval average + seconds. Is this the right thing to do?

Thanks

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 14-09-2015

congrats on the PB . do make sure you look after yourself before the 2k session

the pace for the 5k paced run, would be what you would like to race your 10k in. So, if you looking for a 37 minute 10k, then you would halve that for 18:30

here's to a healthy week

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 15-09-2015

so its starting to rain on my training schedule.

last week i had the cold which is still lingering. on sunday I clipped my heel as I ran off a pavement & got quite a shooting pain down my left leg that quickly subsided, the pain didn't surprise me because my left leg has been grumbling a little for a few weeks during runs but it is always fine when i stop & i've been putting it down to the muscle not recovering between runs. anyway on monday & today i've felt the tinest of pains in my left knee (hardly anything but its there) which is permanent when i walk.

the good news is its not the right knee which had me out for 5 months this year.

so I'm looking after myself before the 2k, didn't run today & i will not run tomorrow. if the knee feels ok tomorrow i'll do the 2k on thursday otherwise i'll rest until saturday & see how it feels then.

given i've built up some fitness i think its probably better to err on caution & take the rest, I don't want to lose another 5 months. fingers crossed this is something simple that goes quickly.

EDIT: so the left leg still feels weird (its not painful) & it now seems the hamstring might be the source of the "oddness". i'm going to skip the 5*2k tomorrow & see how i feel for the long run on saturday.

my questions:

i've got a race in 3 weeks. i'm missing the big 5*2k training event, should i reschedule it in?
saturday is the long run. i guess i'd be better doing a shorter 5k run if i feel ok on saturday? if i do this do i then have to schedule another long run in?

i was wondering if i should maybe do next week as week 1 & then go straight to week 3 the following week for race week?

thanks

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 17-09-2015

so this training business is turning me into an emotional wreck, i'm either ill, injured or the training session goes to pot.

i decided to do the 5*2k after all. it went really badly wth an average pace of 3:51. Two weeks ago I did the 2k in just under 3:46 & my park run at the weekend went at 3:42 (i was around 3:49 average at 5k today & really feeling it). At 6k I was literaly on my knees during the recovery (ok an exaggeration but I was certainly leaning heavily on the track fence!) & was close to quiting, figured finishing with a bad pace was better than that though. i can only assume (hope) its the end of this cold. my left leg (which i now think is a knee problem) seems to have suffered a little but not massively (still no pain, just an odd feeling). i'll go for the long run on saturday but cut short if needed.

i've got a physio appointment booked next friday. i was going to continue doing cycles until december but thinking i might move to the build phase after this cycle if the knee problem doesn't resolve itself.

stats are:
Pace-----Max HR---Avg Run Cadence
03:43.9----175--------175.5
03:43.8----182--------173.2
03:49.6----182--------169.6
03:55.8----181--------170.4
04:02.4----177--------171.6

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 17-09-2015

take a break, sort the aches out and you will come back stronger

consider easy 20 minute runs every 2nd day, and after 1 week of that runa 4k time-trial and you may just be back on track

consider doing this, it may well be worth it

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 18-09-2015

seems sound advice to me. i'll do as you say & if i'm feeling good a week on tuesday i'll do the 4k tt then which will at least give me an indicator of how i'll perform in the race the following saturday.

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 22-09-2015

so i've had a week off completely (didnt even manage the 20 minute runs) due to this leg injury & having to work through a couple of nights so i've been completely wiped out.

so that means last week i ran monday & thursday(2k session) only. this week i've done no running.

tomorrow i'm planning on an easy 5k to see if the leg holds up (feels much better). you said to do the 4ktt. im just wondering what the best use of my last 10 days before race day is? should i do the 4ktt on thursday & then come back on to the training schedule as per end of week 2? i ask because i notice your coming back from injury article ("You can lose about half your aerobic fitness in just two or three weeks.") says to do hill reps if you've had time off & have a race coming up so wondered if i should do hill reps on thursday & maybe monday? any advice appreciated.

"You can lose about half your aerobic fitness in just two or three weeks." Sad

thanks

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 23-09-2015

no no . the article may be there but it was not written by TheEd Big Grin

we will roll you back slowly

you should do the following session Thursday

1 x 2k @ 10k pace (do not go faster)

Rest 2 to 3 minutes

then

2 x 1k @ 5 to seconds per k quicker than the 2k (do not go faster)

then report back

on we go

TheEd
ps.. hope session goes well & relaxed