Running Information Forums
Journey to sub 33k... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Journey to sub 33k... (/Thread-Journey-to-sub-33k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 25-09-2015

I just biked on Thursday (2.8 TE on Garmin).

Saw physio today & she said the knee should be fine (she thinks all my knee issues are due to general tightness in muscles) so I did the run you suggested.

I didn't go to the track & GPS pace was all over the place so ended-up being quicker than it should have been. I did try to keep to target race pace which is 3:51 for next Sundays 10k.

2k warm up @ 4:43 max HR of 157

2k interval which breaks down as
starting HR is 146
1st 1k 3:50 max HR 178
2nd 1k 3:47 max HR 183 --this seems high for the second k of a 10k race but I guess the pace is slightly above target. 189 is usually my max HR in a race.

then a 2 min rest
starting HR is 126
1k 3:47 max HR 183
rest 1 min
starting HR is 141
1k 3:44 max HR 186

2k cool down
1k 5:10 max HR 184
1k 4:34 max HR 170

so close to pace on the 2k but I was pretty abysmal on the 1k. Its easier to use the GPS lap smoothing pace on the 2k interval.

So I'm not sure what this means for next Sunday. Is 3:51 too optimistic? What training should I do between now & next Sunday?

I'm in north wales tomorrow so was planning on a hilly 10k around 155 HR as this is what everyone else will be doing.

I was just looking at my last 10k PB (feb 4th this year just before my lay off til june & after 3 months training). The max HRs per lap are:
170,176,180,179,181,183,183,183,183,183,184).

I was wondering if a good plan for me might be:
hilly 10k tomorrow, packed 5k sunday, then follow the normal 3rd week from the training plan but 1 day on as race day is sunday.

Thanks

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 05-10-2015

quick update from me. I ran the paced 5k on the Tuesday & ended-up limping off the track in agony after finishing.

so I rekon I am out of action for a week or two. I'm cycling in the meantime. when I am ok again im going to move to the off & build phase. I've made a deal with myself that until I get a lot more running experience (6mths to a year) im only going to run 4 times a week & supplement this with two bike rides a week. I'm getting bored with getting injured.

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 05-10-2015

wow Skeldol, you not having that much luck

please keep me informed as to the direction you go in to fix things

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 28-11-2015

hi

thought i'd give a quick update. still struggling with this injury (pain in the quad). the physio is convinced its neural. i'm starting to run 3 times a week for 5k. rekon i'll just keep doing that & build-up as i can. think it'll be 2016 before i can start any real training.

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 29-11-2015

are you able to swim?

thanks for the feedback

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 09-02-2016

Hi

I've been back to running for about 8 weeks now. Just been doing easy stuff about 20k-35k a week. My injury still makes itself known after a fast run but its generally settled by the following day.

I've decided 3-4 runs a week is a maximum for me at the moment (two big lay-offs in 15 months tells me that).

I was wondering about your thoughts on the following plan:

Run tuesday, thursday, saturday(option) sunday.

I would just continually do week 1 & 2 of the program, I'm really unfit and the umf seems to be in weeks 1 & 2. I'll make the sunday run a long one in both weeks.

I'll do 30 minutes on a gym bike on Monday & Wednesday instead of the recovery runs.

Any thoughts appreciated. Currently at 20:30 5k time which is 2 minutes off PB. I'm on week 2 of said training plan at the moment Wink

Cheers
Leon

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 12-02-2016

how things going now Skeldol, are you getting into a decent routine?

if all things are ship shape and are all niggles under control?

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 13-02-2016

just starting to get into a routine, repeating week 1 & 2 of the program only. i'm only running 3 times a week & supplementing with 2 days on the bike.

the niggles are under control in that they only cause me a problem after the interval session which always clears by the next run. once this clears im going to up my number of runs to 4 a week.

having to get back into things slowly i now appreciate how quickly i improved on your program. when i started it in june this year, it took me 3 months to hit 18:30 from getting off the sofa after a 4month lay off. i thought at the time it was me but having spent the last 3 months just running to get to 20:34 i appreciate it wasnt me Wink

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 20-02-2016

how has the past week gone

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 21-02-2016

I took it easy this week as last weeks intervals flared the injury up so just did easy run on tuesday, could feel the injury so left it til Saturday. Long run on saturday @ a steady pace & it felt fine.

I think my plan now is to continue doing 3 runs a week but just do one or two intervals as part of an easy run rather than a whole interval session as fast running is still a problem for me.