Running Information Forums
Journey to sub 33k... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Journey to sub 33k... (/Thread-Journey-to-sub-33k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 27-02-2016

How things going?

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 29-02-2016

Only did 4 of the 2k intervals on thursday as the niggle made itself known. Times are improving quickly.

Did a 15k fell run yesterday & my legs feel great today, no niggles.

What do you think about my idea of cycling week 1 & 2 of the programme (i.e. no week 3) until I get back to around 18:30 5k speed? I'm only running 3 times a week & getting on a spinning bike for 30 minutes twice a week so feel week 3 would be too much rest given I've got no races lined-up & don't plan to until my 5k time is back to 18:30.

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 29-02-2016

no problem cycling, as long as your saddle is set correctly and it doesn't aggravate your niggle

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 29-02-2016

Sorry, I mean I am only doing week 1 & week 2 of the plan (so each cycle lasts 2 weeks) as that's where the "meat" seems to be. Is this a good way to go to try to get fitness back quicker or do I need to stick with doing a week 3 every cycle?

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 01-03-2016

ideally you should have a test at the end of week 3, to teach the body & mind to perform on the required day

if you can gain the strength by juggling things in from Day 8 onwards and then to try fix yourself between day 3 to 8 then you will adapt better to what the program is trying to achieve

hope this makes sense

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 01-03-2016

I think you are saying:

#1 Stick to the plan days 3 to 8.
#2 You can alter the plan day 9 to 18 to get fitter faster.
#3 Make sure you race (or parkrun) on day 19.

Correct?

I've got another question on my mind if I may?

I've spent as much time injured in my 15 months of starting to run as I have actually running. When I started your programme in June I'd just got back from injury after running 5 to 6 days a week for 3 months after taking up running. I recognized from your advice that I haad been over doing it on the recovery runs the first time round (~165 BPM). So I tried keeping the easy runs < 150BPM but even that broke me after 3 months. I think this must be because my body cannot handle 5 to 6 runs a week regardless of intentisty. Do you agree that this time round keeping the number of runs a week to 3 or 4 should be a priority?

Assuming you agree, will I get faster quicker by replacing the runs I don't do with bike rides (in gym)? Assuming so I guess the bike ride should be ~145 BPM with the same duration as the run from the training plan?

I guess what I'm asking is whats the best way for someone with little running experience & with a body that has been broken twice in 3 months by running 5 to 6 days a week to advance as quickly as possible?

Thanks

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 02-03-2016

OK .. more or less correct, just dont look to getting fitter quicker, allow it to happen naturally and hopefully avoid injury

often pushing too soon for results causes the problem

if you run easier and with more rest in-between, you would more likely only run 20 seconds slower over 4k but will come through it without injury

that is what you should aim for

so on the quality days, run 5 seconds per k slower and back off wherever you can

take the rest days where you can, and dont look for results but look to be running injury and care free

you may be surprised with how good the outcome will be

hope this helps?

TheEd

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 03-03-2016

that's great thanks. kind of where I thought I needed to be going but good to hear it from someone who knows what they are talking aboutSmile

Journey to sub 33k... - skeldol - 13-03-2016

Cycle 1 over.

Week 1:
-35km run, 60 minutes on bike.
-5*2km @ 3:59 -only did 4 intervals as niggle made itself known.
-16km on the long run, 91 minutes

week 2:
-35km run, 60 minutes on bike.
-6*1km @ 3:56 -no issues with the niggle.

week 3:
-19km run, 40 minutes on bike.
-10*400m @ 3:33.
-5k parkrun @ 19:28.

The niggle seems to be improving. Its now down to a sensation rather than any pain.

Pleased with the 19:28 park run. Pace increased throughout the run (03:56, 04:04, 03:52, 03:49, 03:47). Max HR was 186 which is odd, I normally max out at 189/190 on a park run,rekon this must be due to the slow start.

Next week I am travelling wednesday & thursday so am going to do the 5*2k on the Tuesday.

I was going to do a long run today, mainly because I love the route so much, but decided I'd best get rid of the niggle before I run consecutive days, especially given teh 5*2k is only two days away. I'm keen to run both weekend days, that's the next step for me I think.

According to my 5k time I think my interval paces for cycle 2 are:
5*2k 4:00
6*1k 3:50
10*400 3:40

I'd be lying if I said I was going to aim for 3:40 on the 400s Wink I rekon 3:35 to 3:30 more likely.

Cheers

Journey to sub 33k... - TheEd - 16-03-2016

remember not to push the 'redline' as it is not necessary, more to be gained by feeling good for now

enjoy

TheEd