Running Information Forums
Running and Triathlon - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Country and General Discussion (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-Country-and-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UK (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-UK)
+--- Thread: Running and Triathlon (/Thread-Running-and-Triathlon)

Pages: 1 2

Running and Triathlon - Determinator - 19-06-2016

Hello Ed. On Friday 17th just gone I ran 44mins 38 secs. I started well but got slower and slower due to undulations and tiredness. My next race is a 10 mile flat road race on Saturday 30th July.

I now also need to add cycling and swimming to my schedule ready for an Olympic triathlon on Sunday 4th September. With both races in mind what do you think about:
- the ideas in my first post of this thread?
- doing 5 x 2k on day 3 instead of 4 x 2k?
- the training for day 19 (Saturday 9 July) as I do not have a race?
Thanks
D

Running and Triathlon - TheEd - 20-06-2016

are you still happy with the result?

If you want to move up to 5 x 2k, you must not push up the pace, but instead first adapt to doing five

you can slot in cycling and swimming anywhere you want after day 8 for now, and as you adapt to the training we can look at those sessions in more detail

race day on this cycle you could consider doing a 'brick session'

over to you

TheEd
ps.. apologies, somehow missed the post from the 12th June

Running and Triathlon - Determinator - 21-06-2016

Thanks for the reply Ed. I realise that you are busy so do not expect replies to my posts. I was disappointed with my time on the 17th as I was hoping to run 43mins 20secs to give me 7 min/mile pace. I was obviously not ready for it, especially on an undulating course.

What you wrote in response to my original ideas looks like a good plan.I will feedback after the hard sessions. Thank you.
D

Running and Triathlon - TheEd - 03-07-2016

How are things going?

TheEd

Running and Triathlon - Determinator - 04-07-2016

Thanks for the interest Ed. I am gutted as my left calf didn't feel right during the last quarter of Day 1 on Tuesday 21st June. Having torn both calves in the past few years I knew that this was a warning. I tried an easy run later during that week on the treadmill but had to stop after 15mins as the sharp pain was intensifying. I saw a Physio last week who said that the outside of my calf where the pain seemed to be was a bit lumpy and I may have a microtear. I have not ran since but got in four different bike rides and a swim last week.

Previous to the injury, after the 10k race on the 17th June I had only done three 30min recovery runs. However, the race was undulating and I didn't get a very good stretch in immediately afterwards. Furthermore, I probably forgot about rolling my calves on my foam roller for a few days.

I now have to:
- continue to bike, run, roll and stretch my calves
- power walk for up to 5 or 6k when I no longer feel any pain from normal walking
- alternate jogging for 1min with power walking for 2mins having completed the above with no pain
- increase my jogging distance and pace over a period of time

Luckily the pain is nothing like when I tore both calves really badly. I have the 10mile race at the end of the month but that is unlikely to happen for me!
D

Running and Triathlon - TheEd - 21-07-2016

how are things going now D

any relief to where you feeling better?

regards TheEd

Running and Triathlon - Determinator - 22-07-2016

Thanks for showing an interest Ed. I returned from holiday two days ago and did lots of walking, cycling and swimming with no ill effects. Yesterday I did my first walk and jog session. After 10mins walk 'warm up' I started alternating 1min easy run with 2mins walk. By the end of 13km I had progressed to 5mins easy run with 1min walk. I have had no ill effects during or after the session. I will do a similar session tomorrow morning and try to extend the easy run parts. If that goes well I will extend the easy run segments even further next week and hope that by the end of the week I can do a 30min easy run with no ill effects.

I am also going to roll and stretch the life out of my calves!
D