Running Information Forums
Build Up Period - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Build Up Period (/Thread-Build-Up-Period)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Build Up Period - TheEd - 28-02-2017

try to avoid going towards lactose threshold in the easy runs

for your 5k a run of around 21 minutes should be your current limit

this will change with development

no strength work recommended between Day 3 to Day 8, in the second week you can see how you can fit it in

getting into the rhythm of the program is important

hope things are enjoyable

TheEd

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 28-02-2017

Regarding my easy runs, I saw that when my pace is slower than 6:30-6:45/km I get a weird sensation under my left kneecap. It's not exactly pain, I can't desribe it at the moment(I felt it also at the beggining of last year during slow runs). But goes away if I run faster than 6:45/km, so it shouldn't be an issue for me.

Regarding the runners knee issue, my girlfriend developed it after running slower for extended periods of time during last week. The difference being that she is in pain even during walking or sitting. Currently she's taking a few days off of running.
Does it have to do with cadence during slower runs? Any advice/suggestions for her faster recovery or future runs?

Today after I get home from work I'll start the first cycle and I hope things will be enjoyable :-). Looking forward to the first quality session.

Build Up Period - TheEd - 01-03-2017

yes, slow running can effect runners. sometimes the form of the runner becomes poor when running at a slower pace. working on good form and avoiding too much rotation of the hips as well as foot placement which leads to over-pronation.

rather shorten the runs until becoming stronger. doing less is better to start with. these programs are aimed at progressive training, hence why you only meant to do the build-up after being on a few cycles

hope this helps, however not easy when not seeing how the person runs

TheEd

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 02-03-2017

Hi TheEd. Back with an update.
I started the first cycle on Tuesday, here's how it went so far:

Day 1 - 60min running; 9.43km @ 6m:22s/km @ 144bpm avg
Day 2 - Skipped due to heavy rain all day
Day 3 - 5 x 2k, breakdown below(you also have a PM with a link to the Garmin activity)
  • 1st 2k; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:06s @ 172 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:23s @ 180 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R 1m:38s walk/jog
  • 2nd 2k; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:15s @ 178 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:22s @ 182 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R 1m:58s walk/jog
  • 3rd 2k; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:20s @ 178 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:22s @ 181 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R 1m:53s walk/jog
  • 4th 2k; perceived effort 4/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:22s @ 177 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:22s @ 181 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R 1m:53s walk/jog
  • 5th 2k; perceived effort 5/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:23s @ 177 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:28s @ 180 bpm avg[/INDENT]

The reason rest periods are higher than 90s is because I ran on a measured course(1.11km/lap) and I can't get in less than a 2min walk/jog from end of 2nd km to start.

Regarding the knee issue, thanks for the tips. However, I'm not the one having problems, my girlfriend is. I only feel a slight disconfort when running slower than 6m:45s/km.
Would it help if we record ourselves running and send you some videos?

Build Up Period - TheEd - 05-03-2017

great to see you doing the 2k session (I couldn't see the garmin data though, do I need an account?) edit: took a while for data to upload, looking at it now

the 90 second Rest is normally important. As I can't see the Garmin data, are you able to tell me what your resting pulse goes to during the Rest and at the start of the next 2k?

you can make the video of the running and upload to 'dropbox'

TheEd
ps.. we normally give the runner 2 or 3 cycles before seeing how things are going

Build Up Period - TheEd - 05-03-2017

with more experience hopefully you able to run the last 2k at the pace you running the first 2k at.

learning pace judgement is the biggest development needed for positive race results

looking good

TheEd

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 05-03-2017

Hi TheEd,
Pulse during rest periods is as follows:
  • R1 - 158 avg bpm and 146bpm right at the start of 2'nd 2k
  • R2 - 156 avg bpm and 146bpm right at the start of 3'rd 2k
  • R3 - 159 avg bpm and 152bpm right at the start of 4'th 2k
  • R4 - 160 avg bpm and 150bpm right at the start of 5'th 2k

Pulse wasn't very low because the 'rest period' was a mix of fast walking & jogging. During the 2'nd cycle I'll try to rest properly.
I will also rest properly(complete stop or a few meters walking) during the 1k sessions tomorrow.

Day 5(long run) - 90 min running; 13.4km @ 6m:44s/km @ 148 avg bpm.
[INDENT]Slight discomfort on the left knee, probably because of pace. HR was pretty erratic, probably because I hadn't recovered properly after the 2k sessions(my "active" rest periods probably had a saying).[/INDENT]

Day 6 - 10km easy running; 63 min @ 6m:19s/km @ 147 avg bpm
[INDENT]Felt comfortable, knee was ok. HR was pretty steady.[/INDENT]

Regarding Garmin Connect site, might it be a browser issue? You should be able to open the link, as I have set the activity privacy to "Everyone". Have you tried opening the link on another PC? Logging in shouldn't be required.

I'll come back tomorrow after work with an update on the 1k sessions.

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 06-03-2017

Ah dammit, I somehow made a mess(see post above also please)... instead of the easy 30 min run of day 6 I did the easy 10k run for day 7. And on day 7(which is today) I did the 6 x 1k session which should have been done tomorrow... (*feeling like a jackass* - the Tom & Jerry kind ).

Can you advise on how to continue? Should I continue with day 9 or take a rest tomorrow? Or maybe strength training?

Anyway, here's the breakdown of the 1k session(target pace 4m:10s):
  • km 1 -> 4m:08s @ 167 bpm avg; perceived effort 2/5
    [INDENT]r1 -> 1m @ 153 bpm avg & 134 bpm right at the start of 2'nd km[/INDENT]
  • km 2 -> 4m:11s @ 173 bpm avg; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]r2 -> 1m @ 160 bpm avg & 137 bpm right at the start of 3'rd km[/INDENT]
  • km 3 -> 4m:08s @ 173 bpm avg; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]r3 -> 1m @ 160 bpm avg & 137 bpm right at the start of 4'th km[/INDENT]
  • km 4 -> 4m:10s @ 176 bpm avg; perceived effort 4/5
    [INDENT]r4 -> 1m @ 164 bpm avg & 144 bpm right at the start of 5'th km[/INDENT]
  • km 5 -> 4m:08s @ 175 bpm avg; perceived effort 4/5
    [INDENT]r5 -> 1m @ 163 bpm avg & 144 bpm right at the start of 6'th km[/INDENT]
  • km 6 -> 4m:09s @ 177 bpm avg; perceived effort 5/5(front wind here)
    [INDENT]r6 -> 1m @ 165 bpm avg & 140 bpm right at the end[/INDENT]

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 11-03-2017

Hi TheEd, haven't heard from you for the past week. Hope you're doing well.

Today is day 12, the 5km run. I did not run today because I had a weird tingling sensation in my throat and did not want to force it(most of my colleagues at work caught a cold/flu or something, hope my immune system will keep me safe). So I did an easy 27km bike ride(avg HR was 108, so almost didn't sweat at all).

Anyway, please check posts above for the 6 x 1k session & the HR for the REST in the 5 x 2k session.

The easy runs are improving, pace is getting faster while keeping the same HR.

Day 8 - 30 min easy; 4.99km @ 6m:01s/km @ 146 bpm avg(see above posts, 6x1k was done on day 7)

Day 9 - 30 min easy; 5.04km @ 5m:57s/km @ 146 bpm avg

Day 10 - 60 min easy; 9.81km @ 6m:07s/km @ 147 bpm avg

Day 11 - rest

Day 12 - bike ride instead of 5k, not wanted to force my throat

I might have a competition next Saturday, it's a 16km trail race with 1055m elevation gain. Do you think it's a good idea to go?

Build Up Period - TheEd - 12-03-2017

for some reason the email alerts have not been coming through (I was wondering why it was so quiet Big Grin )

in the first cycle, don't hassle if things go all wrong, you have the 2nd cycle to work on things becoming smoother.

your 1k session looks fine

don't panic in the early stages of the program, take a rest day if needed to get back on track with the cycle

try to do less instead of more if you feel you getting a cold, and don't try make up for lost sessions

the programs are designed to fit in with life and not the other way around, so don't put unneeded stress on yourself

things take time but the intention is to enjoy and not to be hard on oneself when things don't work out

the enjoyment factor is a priority and once you enjoy the 2k session then anything is possible Wink

If recover from the itchy throat then participate in next week's event but make sure to have fun

TheEd