Running Information Forums
Build Up Period - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Build Up Period (/Thread-Build-Up-Period)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Build Up Period - TheEd - 05-04-2017

OK .. this is good to read that you felt able to do more

for next week, is it a race or simply running it, if a race, then repeat week 3 for next week

looks like things are going smoothly

TheEd

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 05-04-2017

No races 'till 13'th of May.
So it will be a new cycle starting next week.

I can't do a time trial or 5k this weekend since I'm heading out of town. So I was thinking to keep the same paces for the quality sessions for next cycle(maybe tweak the 1k session if you consider it's a good idea). Any thoughts?

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 10-04-2017

Hey Ed,
I'm starting a new cycle tomorrow. Did you get a chance to read my last post above?

Edit:
Regarding running form, what do you think about running drills? Do you think it's a good idea to incorporate them? Maybe do some of them as warm-up? Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvH5WZk0f90&t=7s&list=PLqRbhoMxH8qAdmGH9T6gS20wtKzkWW_5p&index=2

Build Up Period - TheEd - 11-04-2017

all good, continue as mentioned

in the first few cycles of the program, I am a big advocate of keeping things simple.

I am going to write an article relating to this and the advocacy of KISS

so for now, do not do any of the drills

onwards TheEd

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 13-04-2017

Hi Ed,
I did the 5 x 2k session for the 3'rd cycle today. Overall felt good, I even think I could have done 1 more 2k session at the end. I thought it would be far worse because I woke up feeling like cr*p and the feeling persisted throughout the day.

I believe I paced myself better this time. There aren't significant differences between 1'st & 2'nd kms and between sessions like in previous 2 cycles.

Anyway, breakdown below:
  • 1st 2k; perceived effort 2/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:18s @ 165 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:17s @ 174 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R1 -> 90s; 145 avg bpm and 128bpm right at the start of 2'nd 2k
  • 2nd 2k; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:16s @ 168 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:18s @ 175 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R2 -> 90s; 145 avg bpm and 128bpm right at the start of 3'rd 2k
  • 3rd 2k; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:19s @ 168 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:20s @ 176 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R3 -> 90s; 148 avg bpm and 129bpm right at the start of 4'th 2k
  • 4th 2k; perceived effort 3/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:20s @ 169 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:22s @ 175 bpm avg[/INDENT]
  • R4 -> 90s; 149 avg bpm and 128bpm right at the start of 5'th 2k
  • 5th 2k; perceived effort 4/5
    [INDENT]km1 -> 4m:21s @ 168 bpm avg[/INDENT]
    [INDENT]km2 -> 4m:19s @ 177 bpm avg[/INDENT]

I haven't told you, but after last cycle's long run I felt some discomfort at the big toe of my left foot. More precisely near the left side of the toenail, around where the toenail starts to grow. The area sometimes seems swollen very little and also has a light reddish tint.
During the easy runs I sometimes feel like a burning sensation in that area. It doesn't hurt if I press with my finger on it.

For example, today, prior to the 2k session I did a 1k easy run for warmup and I felt the burning sensation again. It didn't bother me during the 2k session, except a little bit on the 4'th 2k.

Because of this, I'm thinking of skipping the long run and have 2 consecutive days of rest and maybe do the long run on Sunday or Monday. Or maybe some cycling if it won't rain.

What do you think?

P.S. Sorry for the long post. Hope you didn't get bored :-)).

I sent you a PM with the activity and also a reply to your questions regarding my form.

Build Up Period - TheEd - 14-04-2017

HI O, no problem re: post length

read up about Ingrown Toenail, and see if it has anything related to your toe

will await your reply

TheEd
ps.. how much space do you have between your toe and the front of your shoe?

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 14-04-2017

Hi Ed,
I tend to believe it's not an ingrown toenail, since the corners of the nail aren't growing into the skin, they are clearly above.

I suspect that the index toe is sometimes pressing against the big toe and it's pressing in the lateral area where the toenail starts to grow.

Either the above, or during running, the left toenail corner is pressing into the big toe skin as I propel forward and push with my foot. But I will confirm or dismiss this after the toenail will grow a bit longer...

Regarding shoes, I would say I have a solid 2cm space between big toe and front of the shoe if I drive my heel to the back of the shoe. If I drive my foot to the front, my index finger fits between heel and back of the shoe.

I have 2 pairs of shoes I use for road:
* nike air zoom pegasus 32(second pair) - which have 175km mileage and first use on 23'rd feb 2017. I have been using them for the easy runs.

* nike air zoom pegasus 33 - which have 722km mileage and first use on 4'th august 2016. I have been using them for the quality sessions and rainy days.

* I also have another pair of pegasus 32 which is retired(815km mileage). first use on 15 dec 2015 and retired them in November last year.

All pairs are size 43EU.

So what do you say? Skip/postpone the long run?

Build Up Period - TheEd - 14-04-2017

drop the long run and consider either a swim or cycle

chat soon

TheEd

Build Up Period - OsirisD - 17-04-2017

I did a 50km ride on Saturday; 02h:10min; avg hr 146 bpm.

On Sunday I took a day off.

Today was the 10km relaxed day, felt comfortable; 148 bpm avg; 5m:59s/km avg pace.

Tomorrow I'll have the 6 x 1k session. Do you think I should adjust the pace to faster, or still keep 4m:10s/km as target pace?

Build Up Period - TheEd - 17-04-2017

keep the 4.10 for now

you can run the last 1k as you feel

TheEd