Running Information Forums
10km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October (/Thread-10km-Training-Want-to-be-XC-Ready-by-October)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

5km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - dmw9255 - 04-04-2019

dmw9255 Wrote:Hi TheEd,

I rested completely yesterday, as I am feeling the effects of a virus. So I am planning a very easy week of training before a long weekend in Bergen.

Saturday - Easy 30 mins this morning, 5.5km @ 5:48/km pace. Average HR - 137bpm.
Sunday - I am planning a very easy 10km (may be reduced depending on feeling).
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Easy 40 Mins
Wednesday - Easy 50-60 mins
Thursday - Easy 40-50 Mins.

Friday 5th - Monday 8th I will be in Bergen for a break and no running, but plenty of walking. Big Grin

I was hoping to do a 2 week 10km plan starting 9th April as I have booked in a 10km race on Friday 19th. We can get into the specifics a bit closer to the time.

Best Regards.

Dean.

Just a brief Update:

The virus has fully taken effect, so my training this week has been decimated.

The last few days:

Sunday - Complete rest.
Monday - 30 mins very very easy.
Tuesday - 40 Mins very very easy.
Wednesday - Complete rest.
Today - Complete rest.

I travel to Bergen tomorrow, and will decide if I start training again on Tuesday on my recovery.

I am quite annoyed, as I have not pushed hard and rested when needed Sad

Best Regards.

Dean.

5km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - TheEd - 08-04-2019

Hi Dean, how is the recovery going?

TheEd

5km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - dmw9255 - 09-04-2019

TheEd Wrote:Hi Dean, how is the recovery going?

TheEd

Hi TheEd,

The recovery has gone slower than planned, but that is not an issue....

Did two hikes in the mountains in Bergen over the weekend covering around 30km. Travelled back to the Uk yesterday and planning an easy week of jogging this week.

Today I jogged for 30 mins, ave pace 5:48/km, ave HR 141bpm. HR is still a little elevated for this pace compared to before the virus.

Plans this week:

Wed - Easy 35-40 Min Jog.
Thur - Easy 40-45 Min Jog
Fri - Strength
Sat - Easy 60-70 min Jog
Sun - Rest.

I have a 10k race on Good Friday, but not bothered about running a PB, I am just going to pace and enjoy.

Best Regards.

Dean.

5km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - TheEd - 11-04-2019

Hi Dean, as long as you enjoying the activity with no setbacks, then the consistency should set you up for the future

on we go

TheEd

RE: 5km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - dmw9255 - 23-07-2019

Hi the Ed,

Sorry I have not been around for a few months. The virus was a nasty piece of work!!! It had me suffering for 6 weeks, at which point I had to stop all training for 4 weeks.
I have slowly built up my weekly time and distance for the last 6 weeks and ready to go again.
I have a 4 mile race on Friday which should give me an idea of training paces.

I am going to follow a slightly modified 10km plan.

I will be back in touch after the race on Friday.

Dean.

RE: 5km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - TheEd - 24-07-2019

wow Dean, great to hear you have recovered from the virus .. any idea what it was

look forward to hearing your training progress

TheEd

RE: 5km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - dmw9255 - 24-07-2019

(24-07-2019, 11:39 AM)TheEd Wrote: wow Dean, great to hear you have recovered from the virus .. any idea what it was

look forward to hearing your training progress

TheEd

No idea, started as a cold, then a severely bad throat, a severely bad chronic cough and combined with some sinusitis from a virus back in November it all went a bit pear shaped. 3 lots of antibiotics, nasal steroids and I am all good Smile
I am currently managing around 50km per week, with a long run of around 16km. I am training moderate for two weeks and one easy for recovery, which should work nicely with the 10km plans.
Once I have done the race on Friday I will post my plans for the following week.

I have changed the title to 10km training, can you move to the 10km forums?

Dean.

RE: 10km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - TheEd - 25-07-2019

great Dean .. yes, we can look to move the thread Smile

cheers TheEd

RE: 10km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - dmw9255 - 27-07-2019

Hi TheEd,

Completed the mile race last night. Time was 26:26 for the 6.4 km. It was pretty much an all out effort.
Based on the time, I believe that would be around 42:25 - 42:30 for 10km (4:15/km) or 20:25 for 5km (4:05/km).

So based on this I believe the I should do the following sessions at the paces listed?

5 x 2 km @ 4:10/km so 8:20-8:30 per 2km
6 x 1 km @ 4:00/km so 4:00-4:05 per km
10 x 400m @ 3:50/km so 92s per 400m

Best Regards.

Dean.

RE: 10km Training - Want to be XC Ready by October - TheEd - 28-07-2019

Hi Dean add 5 to 10 seconds for the first 2k you do and then see how you feel before upping the pace

this will provide a more cautious approach and one aimed at achieving a decent result in the session

on we go

TheEd