Running Information Forums
Improving 10k time at altitude - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Improving 10k time at altitude (/Thread-Improving-10k-time-at-altitude)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 01-03-2020

Hi TheEd

Looks like I may have pushed a bit too hard during the 5x2 session - started feeling unwell yesterday and have come down with a cold / sore throat today, so all bets are off for the long run today unfortunately.

Will do the usual rest, hydration etc and hopefully be back in action ASAP!

cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 01-03-2020

Hi markco, focus on recovery ..

let us know when you on the mend

lots of water and early nights

you should bounce back soon

TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 06-03-2020

Hi TheEd

Was feeling a bit better yesterday so went out for a very easy cautious 5k (Av pace 5:26/km, Av HR 137). Felt fine and feeling better still today.

Planning to go out for a bit longer today (7-10k) and tomorrow. If all goes well I'll continue where I left off on Sunday (i.e. easy long run).

Back in the game!

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 10-03-2020

Did 40 mins easy on Friday (5:23/km, Av HR 142) which all felt fine and comfortable.

Unfortunately went downhill again on Saturday and cough/cold has come back.

Extremely frustrating and itching to get back out, but waiting it out now until fully recovered. Hopefully won't be too long :/

cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 10-03-2020

How things going Markco, got rid of the 'cold' and sniffles? Don't be in a rush to get back, recovery should be a priority

TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 16-03-2020

Hi TheEd

I think I'm finally fully recovered and have been out for a couple of tester runs which have gone fine (see below). Planning to go out again today for a gently 1 hour easy but currently absolutely pelting it down so may have to be tomorrow now. I was just about to do day 5 (long run) of the program before I got ill - should I start from there now, or start the cycle again?

13 March
7.24km in 40:03
5:32/km
Av HR 141

15 March
9.42km in 50:10
5:19/km
Av HR 143

Cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 17-03-2020

Hi markco, great to hear you making a decent comeback. I would like to make the recommendation to all, to cutback on intense training during the COVID-19 outbreak. (I shall copy & paste this to all) .. Take your previous 6 x 1km session highest heart rate reading and during this period of training keep the pulse at least 5 to 10 seconds below that high heart rate reading. We can introduce different training sessions so we can all maintain our training cycles, however we should not over test our bodies so that it weakens our immune system. Please ask more questions if necessary.

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 17-03-2020

Hi TheEd

Thanks for the advice, I agree that's a good idea. Looking back at my last two 6x1km sessions my max heart rate was 177/178 and so I'll look to keep the pulse below 170 during the higher intensity sessions.

I did get out yesterday in the end and was feeling itchy to go a bit faster, but had similar thoughts about not pushing too hard at this time (and post-cold) so did a 3x1km session without going all-out. Felt pretty good during and after, even though I can tell I've lost a bit of fitness - not too much though.

1km easy WU and CD.
km / time / av HR / max HR / min HR after 60 seconds easy recovery)
1 / 4:33 / 158 / 162 / 152
2 / 4:24 / 163 / 168 / 154
3 / 4:23 / 164 / 174 / 158

Av. pace of intervals 4:26/km

P.S. Myself and the other half are now able to come back as visa sorted, great timing with the coronavirus outbreak! Hoping that we'll get back soon otherwise it will be waiting it out for a few months I think - not that there will be many races taking place in the UK over the coming months anyway I expect!

cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 18-03-2020

Take care markco .. try to keep the intensity low keyed until your system starts bouncing back

onwards TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 21-03-2020

Hi TheEd

Had a couple of rest days 17 & 18th, then out yesterday for an easy run. Was planning on 10k but my HR kept wandering up into the 150s and I started feeling a bit off so cut the run short (8.77km in 47:22, 5:23/km, Av HR 146).

Unfortunately, we've had double bad news here. Firstly our flights to the UK which we were due to take on 1st April have been cancelled and there are no more outgoing flights until 1st May (and of course that may get pushed back). Secondly, the Colombian government has just announced the country is now in total quarantine conditions until 12th April. There is no provision for going out for exercise unless you are walking a dog (and even that is max 20 mins), so I now cannot run for over 3 weeks (at least, it may be extended of course). I'm pretty gutted about that, but will just have to improvise at home. We have a step / cycle machine and I guess I can run up and down the 5 flights of stairs in our apartment building! Plus body weight exercises. I hate to think how crazy I'm going to become not being able to leave the house, but trying not to think about it!!!!

Will report back soon on how it's going. Any suggestions welcome!

cheers