Running Information Forums
Consistent 10km improvement - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Consistent 10km improvement (/Thread-Consistent-10km-improvement)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Consistent 10km improvement - TheEd - 01-07-2010

Hi N .. an even pace at the start should suit you fine even if it is 3.50 per k you will need to see if you can hold it all together towards the end over the last 3km

from 8 to 9km is often the slack off kilometer so from 7 km you should know if sub 39 is on

enjoy

TheEd

Consistent 10km improvement - nickmac - 05-07-2010

Hi TheEd,

Hope you're keeping well.

I have completed all sessions as planned since last time, although had to cut short 1hr run yesterday due to family commitments, but got in a solid 45mins anyways so no big drama. I've got to say I'm feeling really good at the moment, so looking forward to Sunday's race. Feel like I'm running better, I suppose I'll know on Sunday if I'm faster too!

Just wondering what time I should be aiming for in the 400m repeats tomorrow? Also, should I add an extra easy run this week to bring me up to Sunday?

Thanks and speak soon.
N

Consistent 10km improvement - TheEd - 05-07-2010

nick .. please be cautious on the 400m session, I have found that if runners attempt the session on a hard surface they invariably create problems

so please look to do session on grass or a tartan track if possible

your pace will be 10 seconds per k faster than what you ran the 1000's in .. you averaged around 3.40 .. so 3.30 pace for the 400's

so u looking at 84 second 400's

should be a comfortable session

and as for your last few days before the race

place a 30 minute run in on Thursday and do the fartlek session on Friday

the 1 minute fast is at projects race pace for the weekend .. warm up and warm down after the session .. you should feel like racing after this session

Cheers

TheEd

THanks TheEd

No problem, I'm very lucky to have a track around the corner from me :jive:

So just to confirm, the fartlek session is warmup, followed by 6 * 1min race pace, 1 min easy and warm down, 30 - 40mins all up??

Cheers,
N

correct .. it is a short and sharp session

all the programs are progressive, so whereas you feel you doing a little now, you must first get the results achievable on the current workload before we add anything over the duration of development

results are achievable on the current workload, the aim for now is, Less is Better

after a number of 3-week cycles you then can start to look at a down period followed by build-up

this takes the runner to a new level in steps and results should come accordingly

hope this helps

TheEd

Thanks for feedback TheEd.

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself with my training or indeed my race times.
There's no real rush and I've just found that I have sometimes over trained, injured myself and missed a lot of training. I really want to stay consistent with my sessions.

I'll let you know how tomorrow's 400's go.

N

good stuff

:tourist:

TheEd

Consistent 10km improvement - nickmac - 08-07-2010

Hi TheEd,

Hope all is well with you.

Here's my 400s from Tuesday: Started a little quick, but got into the pace ok and felt comfortable throughout. Tomorrow is the fartlek sess and Sunday is race day, I'll update you then. N

Consistent 10km improvement - TheEd - 08-07-2010

may be a bit quick but quite consistent

try relax up now before the event and let me know how your legs go

try to have the 1 minute fast at a pace at least 4 seconds per 400 faster than what you did the 400 session in

so you run at anticipated 10km race pace

you must just get your breathing up and then you relax and run 1 minute slow

at the end of the session you must be chomping at the bit that you want to race

TheEd

Consistent 10km improvement - nickmac - 09-07-2010

Thanks for that TheEd :p

Just in from final run, I had been a little bit nervous about Sunday (not enough training, blah, blah, blah), but the session went really well and I'm looking forward to race now,legs feel fantastic! Sunday morning looks cool, hopefully dry and calm.

As discussed previously, I'll set out at 3:50min pace and just try and hang on in there as long as possible.

I'll update you on Sunday.
N