Running Information Forums
10k & 21k Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10k & 21k Training (/Thread-10k-21k-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

10k & 21k Training - TheEd - 24-10-2010

nice going Dave .. did you ever go out at sub 80 minute pace?

how I look at things now, I would focus on recovery from this race and then look for another race in the next 3 weeks and even if you can find time to put a few tests in over the next few weeks before the weather changes as I do believe there is room for a few good performances

then once the weather changes you can consider the down period and the rebuild

unless you don't feel comfortable with this plan?

Cheers

TheEd

10k & 21k Training - DaveM40 - 24-10-2010

Hi TheEd

thanks for the feedback.

I did get to half way at sub 80 pace, but the we were into the wind and had a bit more in the way of hills 2nd part of the race. I felt amazingly good at 5miles! But the last 7 miles cost me a minute on sub 80 pace ...

The road racing fades away a bit in the UK now. Cross country starts and dominates until February. My club will expect me to run in our team for the XC league /regional championship, and I want to do this. The races are usually around 10k.

I think I will rest this week and build up after. I can then use the 10k program to prepare for the cross country and also run one of the few winter 10k road races.

Is this ok?

Dave

10k & 21k Training - TheEd - 25-10-2010

Dave .. if you able to run a few 5km time-trials before the weather changes to see what time you can get to would be great .. even if you enter a longer race and burn a quick 10km as well

I want you to see the benefit of the training you have done, as you in better shape than you realise

TheEd

10k & 21k Training - DaveM40 - 25-10-2010

Hi TheEd - I hear what you are saying and you are right.

It would be silly of me to not put this peak form to more use. Anyway I have to race a cross country race saturday for my team.

I see a 10k road race on November 20th - nice flat course :mrburns:

How about this plan;

Mon/ Tue / Wed - Easy running up to 60 min to recover

Thu - Fartlek 6 x 1 on XC course

Fri -rest

Sat - race XC

Sun - easy 60

Then a normal 3 week 10k training cycle with the 10k race at the end of it.

I can also do a 5k any sometime soon as we have one every saturday in a nearby town. Wink

What do you think?

Dave

10k & 21k Training - TheEd - 25-10-2010

make sure to first see that you have recovered properly from the 21k race

and then look at this

The Race Period for Racers

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/race-period.htm

once you have read this then please ask questions

I think you ready to try this and we can play it by ear

TheEd

10k & 21k Training - DaveM40 - 25-10-2010

Hi TheEd - yes, I like this idea!:yes:

I am ready for some more racing.

How about this;

easy week to recover this week (as per last post) if all ok - I race XC Saturday.

Then, next week;

Mon easy 60

Tue - 3 x 1600 @ 5k pace (3.23- 3.20) rest 3min

Wed - easy 30 - 60

Thu - standard fartlek

Fri - rest

Sat - race 5k

Sun - easy 30 - 60

I could do this again following week, repeating the 5k race. Continuing to a 10k on November 20th?

This is a very motivating development! :great:

Dave

10k & 21k Training - TheEd - 26-10-2010

great stuff ... this should be enjoyable

magic

TheEd

10k & 21k Training - DaveM40 - 31-10-2010

Hi TheEd

I did the XC race yesterday. All went ok.

It was a hard race and I struggled the first 2 laps. I got going on lap 3 and passed runners right up to the end. I did 60min easy today - all well.

Next week lookslike;

Mon 60 easy

Tue 3 x 1600 @ 5k pace

Wed - 45 - 60 easy

Thu - standard fartlek

Fri - rest

Sat - 5k race

Sun - 60 easy

How does this sound? :mmm:

Dave

10k & 21k Training - TheEd - 31-10-2010

your week looks and sounds good

what do you attribute your 'lousy' start to? are you able to explain how you felt .. this is all handy in learning more about you ..

Cheers

TheEd

10k & 21k Training - DaveM40 - 31-10-2010

Hi THeEd

It wasn't a lousy start to be honest, but I struggled becuase of the insane pace of the first 15 minutes! I was a bit cuatious as I was not sure of %100 recovery from 21k race - but i was ok. It was a huge club race of 600 runners, some of who are elite level. The course narrows quickly and there is a struggle for position.

I paced it a bit slower than normal, but me and a clubmate attacked on the last lap and made up loads of places, passing guys who went off two hard. There is an enormous steep hill and that sorts out the men from the boys on lap 3 especially Wink

I did a nice easy 60 this morning and I am recovering nicely :great::great::great:

All the best

Dave