Running Information Forums
Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 45 Minute 10K Training (/Thread-Sub-45-Minute-10K-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - dmw9255 - 28-08-2010

TheEd Wrote:let's get feedback after the easy run as a headwind can often play havoc on the legs[/I]

Easy run completed 5km 28:37. HR 135 / 143. No adverse effects on the legs yet, but will wait and see in the morning......

Seems to be quite hazardous this running. Running downhills on my trek run was very painfull afterwards, as it seems running in to the wind can also have adverse effects...... if nothing else it has been an eventful week with the sinking sand to start it off........and the calf towards the end, lets hope next week is less eventfull.

Is missing the paced run today likely to hamper the ongoing progress much???

Best Regards.

Dean.

PS..... I have got my race number and chip for the run next Sunday....

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - dmw9255 - 29-08-2010

Easy Run completed, 10km 58:45, HR - 134/147. Blustery conditions, but nice and clear and sunny. Legs felt good.

No issues at all with the calf, all now seems to be fine, again I will report back after tomorrow's easy run......

Best Regards.

Dean.

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - TheEd - 29-08-2010

from your feedback about the calf, the problem will occur when running on tired legs and trying to run quicker than easy

so towards the end of a 2000 / 1000 session and most definitely on paced run .. so you need to work on maintenance to keep the calves loose and able

good luck

TheEd

TheEd Wrote:from your feedback about the calf, the problem will occur when running on tired legs and trying to run quicker than easy

so towards the end of a 2000 / 1000 session and most definitely on paced run .. so you need to work on maintenance to keep the calves loose and able

So by this I assume you mean:

1) good stretching and strengthening

and / or

2) not pushing too hard at the end of a quality session???

I wasn't aware that my legs were tired, but it could well be possible. I did notice that my technique seemed strange when running the 1k sessions last Tuesday, as if I was landing flat footed (not landing on the heel correctly), at the time never thought anything of it.....will put it down to experience, as I am still a complete novice to running.

What should I plan for the rest of the week with the race being next Sunday?

Again, thanks for all the advice and help so far.

Best Regards.

Dean.

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - TheEd - 29-08-2010

the quality sessions would put your calf muscles under stress as well as the long runs, it is absolutely normal to have fatigue yet the more advanced and experienced runners are able to monitor themselves better due to that experience so as to avoid problems

it is all a learning process while moving forward with running development

in avoiding problems it is worthwhile to do only what has been asked of you from the pace and runs on the program, never necessary to go quicker or to run further while always maintaining maintenance of the body and engine

if you have not stretched much before then do not over extend when stretching, the secret is to maintain loose muscles and this can be achieved by self massaging your calf muscles using the pincing technique where possible (scroll down to tapotement)

as for you prep for the weekend race .. do week 3 but avoid the fast session on WED Day see below instead do an easy 30 minutes

we can juggle Monday and Tuesday according to how things are working out with your legs

Wed start with 3 x 5min @ 10k pace with 1min easy - change to easy 30 minutes
Thur easy day of 40min running
Fri easy day of 30min running
Sat Rest
Sun Race day up to 15K

hope all this helps

TheEd

All taken onboard.....

The help is most appreciated.

Now off to walk the dogs.....

Best Regards.

Dean.

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - dmw9255 - 30-08-2010

Easy run completed, 5km, 29:27, HR 136/148 bpm. Conditions sunny, slight breeze, ideal for running.

Legs felt OK, had to drop the pace slightly during the last KM to keep the HR below 140.

Planning on a 45 minute easy run tomorrow, sound OK ??

Dean.

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - TheEd - 30-08-2010

do remember that for the calf (currently) the longer you on your feet the more chance there is for it tightening up, so be very aware as once you past tomorrow it is all 'fly' towards the race over the weekend

Cheers

TheEd

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - dmw9255 - 30-08-2010

Ed,

I am trying to limit the exposure to the legs at present, and trying not to over work them.... I have got to admit, missing the quality session at the weekend and this week is driving me crazy, but I am also aware it needs to be done (I do enjoy hard training sessions).

As for the race at the weekend, I was plannning on pacing myself at around 4:30 per km to start with and increase the pace during the last 3km if feeling good, I will try not to finish too strongly, as I am aware this has affected my 2k sessions in the past (and I consider this a training race).

Does this sound sensible?

I believe from looking back at all my previous training, and the previous 10k race, that I can run comfortably at 4:30/km without becoming exhausted or over exerting myself (but time will tell). I am also relying on the rickety old body holding out !!!!

I noticed in another thread that your wife has just completed her first 10k, and the time was excellent, would love to be down at that level myself...... You must be a proud man. My wife keeps saying she will start running again, but I can only hope, as she will not train or run whilst I am about......The only running partners I have at the moment are my dogs, and I don't expect that to change for a long while.....but they are loyal and always willing, no matter the weather....

Best Regards.

Dean.

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - TheEd - 30-08-2010

Hi Dean, you must be patient as there is nothing worse that not being able to run because of injury .. so to avoid such happenings should be a priority

everyone picks up an injury at some time but to avoid them is the aim

in the years of coaching one-to-one it was easier if you saw the person in person to adjust matters to avoid injuries, over the internet it is so much more difficult

your race plan sounds sensible and hopefully it can be a success

TheEd
ps.. yes, the wife is also on the forums but writes in Finnish .. the funny thing is I said I would not coach her and so she went to the Time-to-Run website downloaded a sub 45 minute program and all this without me noticing. Then she was registering on the forums when I saw what she was doing, so agreed to coach her as she showed so much determination ..
here is her thread - http://www.time-to-run.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106 ... I do believe she has an abundance of natural talent and has been a badminton player before trying this running lark