Running Information Forums
sub 35min after marathon training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: sub 35min after marathon training (/Thread-sub-35min-after-marathon-training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

sub 35min after marathon training - TheEd - 04-12-2010

nice derele .. edging closer .. a 17 minute 5km is a normal indicator for sub 35 minute

once you get the 17 minute 5k speed as normal, things will begin to fall together quite nicely

good news about the 200m track, that is certainly going to help

Cheers and enjoy the rest of the weekend

TheEd

sub 35min after marathon training - derele - 08-12-2010

Yes,
I believe 17min would have been no problem under race conditions.

Did the 10x400 on the indoor track yesterday, it was okay. It will not be my favourite place for workouts but better than a treadmill (all the others training there were sprinters doing 50-100-200 with ages of standing around). 78s felt very easy (and I was a bit faster on some laps). It was interesting having to work without the pace displayed on the watch.

The Snow is thawing today. Maybe I am lucky for the race on Sunday, but it will all depend on temperatures on early Sun morning. Quite sure to go sub 35, if the roads are fine.

Have a nice day,
cheers,
derele

sub 35min after marathon training - TheEd - 09-12-2010

let's hope the conditions are OK for Sunday, however we can only make the best of what mother nature delivers

you seem to be definitely achieving a good rhythm

Cheers and enjoy

TheEd

sub 35min after marathon training - derele - 12-12-2010

Hi TheEd,

conditions were ideal today.
35:08

I was feeling very strong from the start. Found myself in a group averaging 3:24/km for the first 4k. At that point a small group of 3 runners at the back of the bigger group formed which dropped to 3:30 pace. I decided to take it easy and went with this smaller group. On the last 2k I thought I'm already sure to run sub 35 and let even the other runners from the smaller group go by.
There was a sharp turn before the finish line and I thought the finish would be right after that turn (at least that's what my garmin told me). With the watch telling me, I've done it but in reality still 100m to go I ran towards the big clock with official time on it and at the finish line I was swearing at my wrist.
Plain stupid to focus only on the av.pace displayed on the watch (at least for future races I know now it is not as exact as I hoped).

Both decissions (to go with the slower group and to stay at the back of the small slower group) were not forced by my body, just pure lazyness and a lack of commitment. My average HR was 168 (88% Max).

I have to hope for good conditions at the 31.12 10k, to do better and go sub 35.

Today's race was part of a 10-15-20 series with the 15k on 9.1. 52:30 is the goal for this, I think I could have held today's pace for 5 more k.
2:40 would be the overall goal for the series, indicating the same possible time at a Marathon.

derele

sub 35min after marathon training - TheEd - 12-12-2010

Hi derele .. well there is always the next time

seems like a good race and certainly something to gain confidence from

a few more 2k sessions under the belt and it should all be natural Wink

well done

TheEd
ps.. the experience from today is definitely put in the 'experience box'

sub 35min after marathon training - derele - 13-12-2010

Yes, after one night sleep I agree that it was a good race. I am sure that I can archive quite much at double the distance. But I would love to tick the sub 35, before.

I think once I am doing 4 week cycles and longer races next year, I will add a threshold run, maybe at the weekend of week3. I think I am missing a bit of the toughness...
Maybe I could also find a 10k to slip into my schedule next year in case the 31.12 conditions offer no PB potential.

derele

sub 35min after marathon training - TheEd - 13-12-2010

The Saturday on Week 2 is normally reserved for 'tempo' development

so see how that fits your schedule

with the progressive nature of the programs and for those who come down naturally to sub 34 .. tempo runs varying from 15 to 20 minutes to 1hr appear in the program more often

this however is normally after the athlete has gone through cycles then off period and build up .. so the balance is there

so there is a lot to look forward to .. even hillwork on the Saturday of week 1

to the fore

TheEd

sub 35min after marathon training - derele - 14-12-2010

Yes,
hillwork is definitly one point I want to integrate. At the moment I think that the quads are the limiting factor, and probably hillwork would strengthen them.

Another slot in the program, where I could add something would be Thursday of week2, if I do the 6x1 on Tuesday I often feel quite good two days later, but the next hard workout has to wait till Saturday.

I will post my race schedule and propose a training schedule and ask you for help, for the unconventional-length cycles, once I have the 31.12 10k done. Looking forward to it...

derele

sub 35min after marathon training - derele - 14-12-2010

And regarding the off-period:
I marry my girlfriend a month after the April Marathon and want to complete my phd around the same time, so it will be easy (or rather necessary) to get some running-downtime April/May 2011.
This will be quite exactly after 1 year of serious training.

derele

sub 35min after marathon training - TheEd - 14-12-2010

derele .. stick to the balance for now, it will all come right, the major look for now is to achieve the 2000's in 3.25 per k .. that is the major first call

once you achieve that then you on a new level

no need to incorporate everything all at once

a few so-called slow runners went from sub 37 to sub 33:30 by natural progression .. so be a little patient you are making good progress

TheEd