Running Information Forums
How to train - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: How to train (/Thread-How-to-train)

How to train - TheEd - 30-11-2010

Christian .. if you have no races coming up then the longer the Build Up the better .. lays a great foundation

to start with the lower the heart rate the better as getting used to the 1hr runs may take a little while

as you adapt you will find the pace of the 1hr quicker at the same low heart rate

TheEd

How to train - Raginglynx - 30-11-2010

Distance: 12.36
Time: 1:00:02
Avg pace: 4:51
Avg HR: 147
Avg cadence: 90

Damn cold today! below -10 Celsius. Usually I only wear my long tights without anything under, but today I felt compelled to wear long johns underneath. My eyes teared and the tears froze :S
But, but.. I you want something badly, you better fight for it – And I do!!

How to train - Raginglynx - 01-12-2010

The second day of the build up phase and 2nd day in a row with 1 hour run. I started feeling something in my left knee. Hope that it won’t be there still at tomorrows run.

Distance: 12.48
Time: 1:00:01
Avg pace: 4:49
Avg HR: 149

How to train - TheEd - 02-12-2010

no problem in taking a day off and if you have been running on a slippery surface it will definitely place stress on the legs

time to adopt the 'winter shuffle'

good luck

TheEd

How to train - Raginglynx - 07-12-2010

Hi Gavin!

Took a total of 3 days off because of the knee and also me and my wife were on a weekend-trip - some things are better left out at these times Smile

At sunday I continued on the build up, day 6. But I thought it was better to take it easy so I just ran 60 minutes. Yesterday I joined in the Floorball and today I took the day 8 easy run. Had a little sore muscles from the floorball, but have to blaim myself.

I have a few questions about the percentage of effort in the build up program..

Is it % of max Hr, or % of Max HR - rest HR?
And what % is normal running in the build up?

I usually run at a pace around 4:50 and last time I did a 10k training race my pace was 3:52. On the other hand I don't know if I can rely on the pace of my garmin footpod. It has proved to be somewhat inaccurate sometimes...

Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything very wrong..

Day 6

Distance: 12.09
Avg pace: 4:58
Avg HR: 149

Day 8

Distance: 12.03
Avg pace: 4:59
Avg HR: 152

How to train - Raginglynx - 08-12-2010

Hi Gavin!

I've been thinking about when you are talking about finding the right balance in the running. What exactly do you mean by that? Could you please explain further...

And.. Do you think my ambitions of running a 10k sub 37 next year is managable?

rgds,
Christian

Is the 65% effort of last 15 min on day 9 of build up an increase or decrease in effort from the other time of the run?

rgds, Christian

Today's run was a nice one. I interpreted the last 15 min at 65% as

Max HR - rest HR x 0.65 + rest HR..

I don't know if that was the right way to interpret it, but it gave me a HR of around 144..

Thing is, when I came to 45 minutes of running I ran at a pace around 4:55 and my HR was 155. It was very hard to get down to 144. That I had a small incline most of the track left didn't make it easier. It felt like it would be hard to run at all when slowing down that much. Afterwards, now, I see that I ran at 5:35, which actually isn't that much slower.

In fact it was kind of a failure since my avg HR on the last 15 min was 147...

Lap - Time - Avg pace - Avg HR

1 - 45 min - 4:55 - 153
2 - 15 min - 5:35 - 147

Cheers

How to train - TheEd - 09-12-2010

In reply to the various questions

Q: About the percentage of effort in the build up program.. Is it % of max Hr, or % of Max HR - rest HR and what % is normal running in the build up

A: OK .. we normally gather the data over a period of time from your feedback and what we assess is the best hr to achieve the various training variants .. so if you take your pulse for the 2k session normally the 4th 2k and the 4th to 5th 1k of the 1000m session will give you a high working pulse .. taking that pulse and then a rough estimate would be about 10 to 20 bpm slower than that pulse for a 60 - 70% effort
however in saying that .. your easy runs when doing the 3 week cycle would be closer to 140 and a more paced run would be around 150. (this from the data given so far)

However during the build-up period when plain old aerobic is the goal we can look at 130 to 140 bpm .. however runners do sometimes find this difficult but if you able to discipline yourself to run at that relaxed pace then you are laying a good foundation to build upon ..

so .. u know u are doing well if you keep your pulse below 140 on easy runs

Q: What is getting the balance right

A: The balance in your running is related to a healthy balance, not driven by obsession but enjoying the running while still trying to get the results. And from a training capacity, it is to understand what the significance of the various training cycles are .. the off period is to allow for your body to recover and for the mind to come out of the intensity of running. Further to getting the balance right is to have running intensity when it counts the most .. Championship events or an event to achieve a Persona Best (PB)

During the Build Up, the balance is relaxing on your aerobic runs .. its very much a 'birds and flowers' running time .. mental relaxation is at a premium, there is no intensity to your running, you doing a foundation to build on for the future and hence why running below 140 is most important .. learning the ability to 'waddle'

thereafter when you move back towards the 3 week cycle you have a desire to work and to achieve the pace in the 2k and 1k sessions, you begin to drive and work towards goals and the balance achieved from the build up and the new intensity gives results on the days that count

and in answer to your 37 minute 10km ambitions of whether you can achieve this .. Yes, if you get your balance right. Wink

I hope all this helps, as it is the essence of knowing what easy running is about during the Build up, to getting the balance right Wink

Enjoy and soon may you be wanting the pain of the 2k session

Cheers

TheEd

How to train - Raginglynx - 10-12-2010

Hi Gavin!

Thank you for a very informative answer. Now I feel that I understand it a lot better. Smile

I think I, like you mentioned, have been too set at getting results even on my easy runs now during the build up..

Now I will focus on just get me going forward in the running and try to get my "baby steps" right Wink

The nature IS very nice at this time of the year.. Especially here in Sweden as its very snowy and nice..

Take care!

Christian