Running Information Forums
How to train - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: How to train (/Thread-How-to-train)

How to train - Raginglynx - 25-05-2011

How about the resting. Could I go for a recovery run at lunch today. I feel quite ok, but that might not tell everything Smile

About running shoes - when should they be replaced? Is it very individual or are there good recommendations to follow?

I know there are recommendations of around 800 km for lightweight runners and then replace them. What do you think of that? Or should I check for wear and cracks in the midsole?

rgds,
Christian

How to train - TheEd - 25-05-2011

often good to have 2 pairs of the same shoe that works for you

and then to alternate them so that the shoe can 'recover' between sessions

especially when they have become wet etc

never place the shoes near the central heating in the home and don't leave them in direct sunlight to dry etc etc

TheEd
ps.. as for your running, have you checked to see whether you have any 'scar tissue' along the achilles?

How to train - Raginglynx - 25-05-2011

I will try to buy 2 pairs next time.

When I feel around the achilles tendon I can't find anything strange, at least.

rgds,
Christian

How to train - TheEd - 25-05-2011

place your thumb and index finger on either side of the tendon, then pinch slightly and pull your hand towards your calf muscle

what do you feel and are there any 'nodules' and or does it hurt?

caution is better than pain

TheEd

How to train - Raginglynx - 26-05-2011

I see,

No, I can't feel any nodules and there is no pain when I do it.
However, I think I will follow your advice being cautious and take at least a couple more days off from running.

It's no use risking the injury getting more severe than it is.

rgds,
Christian

How to train - TheEd - 26-05-2011

good stuff .. have you any idea as to what could have brought this on?

always good to find a point at where this occurred so as to avoid it in the future

TheEd

Not a clue, I'm afraid.

I had the race on Sat 14/5 - nothing
I ran 1 hour easy on Sun 15/5 - nothing
On the Monday when I started running I felt the niggles in the right achilles tendon. Only during first 30 seconds, and then again after 5 minutes for a couple of strides only.

Actually it hasn't gotten worse since then, but not better either.

It seems I can run my paced runs without any niggles, it's only on the easy runs I feel them during first strides and sometimes at a few strides in the middle of a run.

But I can't see any factors that are the same when I feel the niggle during the runs - like slopes or so..

Also, I've never experienced it before in my life

rgds,
Christian

age of training shoes?

do you race in the same shoes?

TheEd

I bought the shoes last year in June. I have two pair of trainers and one pair of racers.

About trainers - one pair I use during summer and one during winter. So I've run in both approx. 4-5 months each

I swapped when the weather went better to the summer shoes, that must've been in the beginning of May.

go for a run in the winter shoes and see if there is a difference

if you having the problems when running slower it can also mean that you are not running bi mechanically sound, so you must focus on your form and foot placement while running easy

difficult to assist when not there in person

good luck

TheEd

:tourist: