Running Information Forums
Returning to Running after 23 years! - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Returning to Running after 23 years! (/Thread-Returning-to-Running-after-23-years)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 18-12-2010

no running is best .. I take it the pain is below the knee?

please keep me informed

TheEd

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 19-12-2010

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your previous posts and advice.

Yes, my right knee was stiff and sore below the knee cap and perhaps a little either side also. After a good nights rest last night it feels better today. The stiffness and soreness are better but not totally gone. I get the feeling that it will take a long time to completely heal. :mmm:

I also think that it is in this area that I am messing up. I feel bad about missing sessions. My usual technique is to dive straight back into training in a dramatic fashion and overcompensate. This is where I need good advice. How much running can I do and how much discomfort/stiffness is it OK to ignore and accept as a natural part of the healing process. Sorry to burden you again.

I find having the your programme stuck on my fridge helps, because visually there is still a plan. Perhaps an amended plan but a plan none the less.

I read somewhere that it takes about five years to reach full potential or was that full fitness? In the medium term I would like to run 10K in less than 40mins. My longer term goal is to become a fluent runner again. I would simply like to run to my full potential again on good days a few times a year. I know that I can not do this with a dodgy knee. If you could help me in achieving either of these ambitions I would be very happy. :laugh:

Best regards and thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my whinging!

Cheers

Tortoise.:jester:

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 19-12-2010

you are going to need to juggle your training to train without further damaging the knee

you also need to 'temper' your ambitions and simply enjoy what you can do for now and what you are able to achieve, to look further than that; currently, is self-destructive

and with that said .. are you doing any exercises to strengthen the 'quadricep'?

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. what whinging?

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 19-12-2010

Hi Ed,

I will have a look into quad exercises, but no I'm not currently doing anything else besides running.

Whinging is a version of moaning, complaining...

OK I will try to find some exercises I think one of the other threads made reference to some.

Thanks Tortoise.

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 19-12-2010

Tortoise Wrote:Whinging is a version of moaning, complaining...
:mmm: Wink

quad exercises will assist the knee .. one such exercise is to sit with your leg up, foot balancing on a chair (while watching TV for example) and to tense th quadricep muscle .. relx .. tense .. relax

you can do that 20 times at a time maybe 2 or 3 times a day morning .. afternoon .. evening

and this should help a lot

Cheers

TheEd

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 21-12-2010

Hi Ed.

Thanks a million for your help.

I have taken 4 days off and my knee is feeling better, still a bit tender but better. What is the best way to get started again?

Cheers Tortoise.

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 21-12-2010

walk / jog for a few days to get back into the zone again

and then thereafter we will discuss the weight of the Xmas turkey

over to you

TheEd

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 22-12-2010

Will do some jogging over the next few days and get back to you after the 25th probably needing larger running shorts!

Happy Christmas to you and all there hope Santa is kind to you guys!:jester:

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 22-12-2010

OK .. after you recover we must focus on less is better and calm the eagerness with sound 'small' progress

hopefully not too much damage and we can be up and running shortly

TheEd

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 27-12-2010

Happy Christmas to all,

Hi Ed

A brief update

I have been icing my knee after running and taking things easier. The icing is really helping a lot. I would never have believed it.

I took 5 days off, then I did.

30mins easy (off road mostly on sand)
30mins easy (Sorry I felt good and did the last 2K in a bit over 8 mins)(road)
30mins easy (road)
10K in 43-44 mins. Started easy and felt good was making an effort by the end.

The knee is feeling better all the time but it is not completely cured I can feel that. My legs also feel better. I know doing something rash now will put me back to the starting blocks. As you will have noticed already I have a tendency to get carried away and get ahead of myself, especially when I am feeling well. All advice much appreciated.

I would like to wish you Ed, and all here a safe, happy and speedy 2011.