Running Information Forums
Returning to Running after 23 years! - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Returning to Running after 23 years! (/Thread-Returning-to-Running-after-23-years)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 28-12-2010

Thanks for the wishes and as they say here .. samoin

keep things easy and hopefully you will get a light base of consistency to build upon

easy as she goes

TheEd

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 22-01-2011

Hello Ed, happy new year to all,

I've been quite over the past few weeks as I have been trying to stay out of trouble and give my poor knee a rest over the holiday season. I am happy to report that my recovery is really going in the right direction. I did a few weeks of easy running, and then a longer slow 21K about a week ago. A few nights later I tried 5 X 1000M in 3:55 pace with 400M jog recovery, all went well and I felt good and in control.

So after that encouragement I ran my 10K as I had already signed up for it over Christmas, I ran 41:11. A bit off of the goal but not too bad. I got caught a little at the start with the crowds and it took a while to get free running space. So maybe I might have been a few seconds faster if I had been a little smarter. I also held back a little enroute as I wanted to keep something in the tank for the end. I finished strongly with the last K at 3:50.
I think that might tell you something about my race tactics or lack thereof.

Today I did 20K easy and all was OK, I am still cautious as my knee is still a weak spot but I am also eager to get fit again. I am happy to be running without pain and discomfort at the moment and the times do not bother me too much. I would like to build a little fitness and try to have a good season later in the year or next year though. I know that these things take time.

All the Best

Tortoise

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 23-01-2011

welcome back monsieur tortoise and a grand 2011 to you

in looking at your feedback you tend to be setting yourself up for further pain

maybe you would like to consider working with me through the Build Up program for maybe one cycle

we revamp the time on feet and get you into a proper routine upon which you can build further .. what say you?

TheEd

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 26-01-2011

Hi Ed,

Sounds like good sense to me. I admit that my last post does seem a little mad.
Yes indeed, I would like to start the build up program. I am aiming in the short to medium term for an improved 10K time but my real goal is to become really fit again and run to my full potential. I am not going to manage this alone.

Shall I simply start now, thank you for your help.

Tortoise.

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 26-01-2011

start on the Build up and provide feedback as often as you can, instead of 1hr let's look to do 30 minutes for the first 2 days and then after feedback we plot the next run day

this will assist in tempering the enthusiasm and assisting the reality and it should get you back to running without problems

best

TheEd

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 27-01-2011

Hi Ed,

I started the build up today and took an incorrect turn home which resulted in 70 mins instead of 60 mins.

I will begin again tomorrow with 30 mins for two days and I'll feed back when complete. Otherwise felt OK today. Iced after the run and must go and stretch now.

Cheers for the feedback and the encouragement.

Tortoise.

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 27-01-2011

OK .. do take a rest tomorrow and also note .. it mentioned to cut the 1hr runs down to 30 minutes to start with

this is imperative as the consistency of exercise will set you up to train better in the future

TheEd

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 29-01-2011

Hi Ed,

Took the day off yesterday and ran 31mins tonight.
I'll do another 30mins tomorrow and then I await your instruction

cheers and thanks

Tortoise.

Returning to Running after 23 years! - TheEd - 29-01-2011

magic ... easy as she goes and after a few sessions you should be able to up things a little

enjoy

TheEd

Returning to Running after 23 years! - Tortoise - 31-01-2011

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your continued support and encouragement!

As you suggested I began my buildup doing 2 days running at 30 mins/day and today I did 60 mins. I felt a little tired today and my calves were a bit stiff after my run. It was on sand and road. About 50/50.

I have read the information on the site regarding interval training. It is very interesting indeed. I must admit that I am such a novice when it comes to running. When I ran with my club 20 years ago I simply did what the coach asked and never had any real idea why we were running the sessions. I didn't see the bigger picture. Those articles on your site help to explain what is going on, and why certain approaches to training are valuable. I find it easier to stick with a routine if I understand what it is trying to achieve.

I will try to follow your advice as best I can, its been pretty good so far. Do you have any other books or info worth a read. Today my calves were tight and Achilles were tender after my run. I iced and massaged my legs. They are a bit better now. Looking forward to your thoughts and comments. PS If you think a six week build up is better I will do that. The only thing is it starts getting very hot here in the Middle East over the next few months.

Best regards and thanks again,

Tortoise.