Running Information Forums
Getting Started on Training Plan - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Getting Started on Training Plan (/Thread-Getting-Started-on-Training-Plan)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 15-05-2008

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your advice. I have decided to continue to follow your plan as I can certainly see the benefits this plan gives you.

If you think following the plan religiously is best rather than fitting additional training sessions into it then I am happy to follow this principle.

I feel at the moment I can go faster than by 40:20 time suggests. I was on holiday for a week 2 weeks before the race and due to this my training suffered in a crucial week leading up to the race.

My question is what time should I be aiming for next? I am going to the track tonight to carry out the 5 x 2k session so I will provide feedback in relation to my heart rates tomorrow.

Thanks,
Adam

Getting Started on Training Plan - TheEd - 15-05-2008

Hi Adam .. a good decision

there is so much more to these programs and once you develop and train longer on the programs you will see that everything is catered for

for now it is the consistency that is important

5x2k .. 3.55 to 4min per 7.50 - 8min for 2k

please monitor your pulse at the end of each 2k and then at the end of the rest

Check to see how quickly your pulse drops to 120 bpm during the rest and record your pulse after 60 secs ... for your own interest see when your pulse moves towards 160bpm during the 2k

if you are using a heart rate monitor there is just so much that can be gained in learning more about your body and the effect of training

Look forward to feedback

TheEd

:yes:

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 15-05-2008

Hi Ed,

This was the first time I have been to the track, so I am pleased to say I successfully completed the session. Also being on the track makes this session a whole lot more accurate!

I was able to record all the relevant data you have asked for. I have no real idea how to interpretate this information, so I will really appreciate the feedback and will find the evaluation very interesting.

5 x 2k with 90s Rest
Distance HR Before R HR After R Duration
2k 183 124 00:07:23
4k 186 132 00:07:58
6k 182 132 00:07:53
8k 190 142 00:08:00
10k 192 00:08:02

After fininshing the session it took 2:33 for my HR to fall to 120. As my HR monitor does not have the function to save HRs I have to resort to writing these figures down during my 90 secs rest, therefore I was unable to record when my HR reached 160 during each the 2k interval.

Thanks,
Adam

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 23-05-2008

Hi Ed,

Just wondering if you have had a chance to review my feedback?

Thanks,
Adam

Getting Started on Training Plan - TheEd - 23-05-2008

Adam truthfully sorry, I don't know how this feedback slipped my attention

that is a good session and you are certainly in sub 40 minute 10k shape

try in the future to see whether you can work on your pace judgement, become aware of your running form, keep it easier at the start and try hit target. Go through things like watching your arms and hands flow - keep it relaxed. Your first 7.23 puts you under stress straight away. So try to gain confidence in being even paced and then looking to finish off stronger over the last 2.

You will learn a great deal and gain confidence from knowing you can accelerate off an even pace

no need to worry too much about when the pulse reaches 160 as such, the affect of these sessions is to have one's pulse rate above 160/165 (depending on individuals obviously) for a period of 2 minutes or longer to achieve certain training elements

Have you done the 6x1000m session since the 2k's?

I will chat more, as your ambition requires it however you need to learn more about yourself at different speeds, what your form does when fatigue sets in and how to maintain speeds in such scenarios.

Look forward to chatting further

TheEd

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 28-05-2008

No worries about the feedback - it is me who is late in replying now! I have been away over the weekend so I will fill you in on where I am at the moment.

I couldn't do the 6x1k as the track I use was unavailable on this day or the 10 x 400m as I was away on holiday and couldn't get to the track. All the other day's runs have been fine as I am not reliant on having to get to the track.

The 5k paced run went well, I ran a 19:08. Judging by my previous efforts at this distance I feel as though I am not far away from being able to run each k at 3:45. I followed this pace and slightly dropped off around the 3k/4k markers.

As I come towards the end of the cycle, tonight I have an easy day of 10k running then the 30min easy 6x1min fast with 1 min slow - 1 min @ Race Pace tomorrow with a rest day Friday. I don't have a race planned but I was thinking about doing the 5k time trial on Sat depending on your feedback?

I find it very interesting what you have said about the first 7.23 puts me under pressure from the start. Over the past couple of months when I have taken part in the 5k time trial my best times have came when I raced off at the start (too quickly!) and then have hung on for the remainder of the race. It wasn't much fun but I got 18:55 and 18:52 respectively.

After speaking to you and taking onaboard your feedback I have tried to be more sensible at run at a 3:45 per k pace getting a 19:22 and a 19:08 as above by using this method. At this pace, I felt that the race is more enjoyable as I am more in control and have a little more energy at the end.

My plan is to complete another cycle with careful planning so I can carry out all the track sessions. I have a 10k race on the June 22nd and I hope I am being realistic in thinking I can get a time which begins with 39?!

I would like to know more about how you can measure your form when fatigue sets in and how to maintain speeds etc?

Thanks for your help,
Adam

Getting Started on Training Plan - TheEd - 28-05-2008

Hi Amorts .. hope the hols were good :yes:

First off, let me state the importance of not trying to catch up for the training you have missed out on as when trying to do so, it throws everything out and can lead to overload at the wrong time.

With that said .. moving on in the right direction.

as mentioned in my post, you are already in sub 40 shape for 10k, the only reason you won't achieve this in June is if you go out too quickly

when you have not got a sufficient aerobic base and you go out quickly the loss of time at the end comes from loss of form. This is why I speak to you about learning about your form and posture when running smoothly. Once you start getting tired it is most important you try to maintain some form, this is a discipline which is acquired during training and specifically the 5x2000m session.

Do a 4k time-trial this weekend and if possible on a 400m track ... try to remember the splits as much as possible and begin to consider your form

Let me tell you straight out, you can convert 3.45 per k to 3.30 per k quite easily if you learn about form and running under pressure.

You currently may hang in there however when calculating the loss of time due to poor form you will see it is enormous. For 10K, instead of going out for the first 2k in 3.45 consider a disciplined 3.55, by 2k you have a 10 second cushion and your form should be intact, if you are fresh with 1k to go you can roll out a 3.45 and with the fine art of form over the last 400m you will gain a great deal

there is much to learn and patience plays an important aspect in your running

Enjoy

TheEd

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 29-05-2008

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the feedback.

That is one thing I am certainly doing. If I miss a session I leave it and move on. I won't have anything to get in my way for the track sessions for the next 3 week cycle.

Is running form similar to running economy? In terms of trying to expend the least amount of energy when running. How can I find out more about this? I am surprised that you can shave 15 secs off each k after mastering this.

I will do the 4k time trial on the track on Saturday, what time do you recommend I aim for?

Getting Started on Training Plan - TheEd - 29-05-2008

Hi amorts

I think you may be misunderstanding me regarding form, there are no shortcuts in running however there certainly is experience to be gained and what to do with that experience and one of these is maintaining form when under pressure and fatigued

in my mentioning of 3.45 coming down to 3.30 .. this is based on what I have seen from you so far when you should be running your sessions at a pace and then it correlates to you running sub 3.45 for your first 2000m in a session

if you are able to run 3.45 now off natural ability there is no reason, after various training cycles and development, not to be able to run 3.30 per k for that first 2000m.

where you have gone out fast in the past and run 3.45 per k for the first 2k and then folded, you can in the future look at going out at 3.30 per k (in maybe 6 months time) and then when u fold, your slowdown time should be less due to the training as well as learning to master form when 'dying'

that is why it is good to take note of your form when smooth

when you are tired you shouldn't focus on the tired factor but the form factor. Focus on what your arms normally do, cadence, knee left and through all this learning to try stay relaxed without tensing up despite the fatigue.

I will go through this in more detail as you become adapt to the training cycles

The need for you to learn pace judgement now is for you to be able to associate each speed/pace per km to your body's form, become more in tune with what the body does and can do at certain levels.

Its exciting times and the rewards will be too

Cheers

TheEd

ps.. as for 4k time-trial, no reason you cant aim for sub 15 .. how you go for it and what you achieve will be an interesting comparison and certainly further experience gained

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 31-05-2008

Here are the results of my 4k time trial from today.

1k 3:32.30
2k 3:55.68
3k 4:03.42
4k 4:05.69
Total 15:37.09

I believe this closley mirrors my performance in my most recent 10k. I have set off too quickly until I have settled into a steady pace. This has slowed me in the past to just over 4 mins per k in the latter stages hence the 40:20 in my last 10k.

Although I didn't set off as quickly in the 10k, I still hit 20 mins at the 5k mark but didn't have enough in the tank to stay the right side of 4 mins for the remaining 5k.

Thanks,
Adam