Running Information Forums
Getting Started on Training Plan - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Getting Started on Training Plan (/Thread-Getting-Started-on-Training-Plan)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Getting Started on Training Plan - TheEd - 18-06-2008

Hi amorts, these things happen

with experience you will be able to avoid colds by monitoring your body etc

congrats for the PB

as for the 10k race, run easy 20 min runs and nothing else, when exactly do you race, on Sunday? If so on Thursday go for a steady 20mins up to 160bpm .. if you feel lousy after that then please do not race on the weekend, as the 10k can be unforgiving.

If you are OK, then, now more than ever you cannot afford to go out quickly, you have to hold yourself back and run a paced 10k, as mentioned before regarding 3:55 per k

If you do the first few km's should feel very easy

Keep us informed

TheED

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 18-06-2008

Feeling much better today, probably around 90%. So I feel tomorrow I'll be back to 100% but I will judge it properly after running around lunchtime.

I run on Sunday and I hear your advice. I still feel strong so I will make sure I hit the 5k mark on the right pace and run an effective race.

Will let you know how it goes...

Getting Started on Training Plan - TheEd - 18-06-2008

Hi amorts

nice to see your progress and I believe you still have so much more to learn so there is a tremendous amount of scope for improvement but it must be approached sensibly.

Try increase your fluid intake over the next couple of days to assist your body recovery

enjoy

TheEd

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 22-06-2008

Hi Ed,

Poor conditions for the race today which wasn't conducive to achieving a good time. The winds were very stong and as this was the route was a costal one I found myself competing against 30 mph cross winds!

I didn't record the splits at each k but this is what I remember. The 1st K was really tough, heading out directly into the wind there were also several slower runners at the front of the field which had to be passed in good time. My 1st K time was 4:15 which put me on the back foot from then on in.

I wanted to get as close to 19:30 at the 5k mark as possible and was able to increase my pace and hit the 5k marker at 19:45.

The 2nd half of the race was tougher still, but I believe this was down to lacking in stamina due to cold earlier in the week and the inability to put in much training.

Anyway I clung on and crossed the finishing line at 39:53 which is a new PB from my 40:20 in humid but near perfect conditions 6 weeks ago. I know that the winning time last year was nearly 2 mins faster then today so maybe in 'real' terms I could have ran a 38 min.....happy with my time today though as I was determined to get sub 40.

Next races are as follows;
Sun July 20th - 10k
Sun Sep 7th - 10k
Sun Sep 21st - 10k

Thanks for your advice over the past few weeks, it's obviously beneficial to me.

Getting Started on Training Plan - TheEd - 22-06-2008

congrats amorts

I truthfully think you are capable of improving a great deal over the next couple of months, especially due to you showing promise with your natural speed and if you can channel everything correctly and keep listening you will improve in leaps and bounds.

I would consider taking a few easy days running and then beginning a new cycle from next week .. 5x2000m on Thursday only ..

please give me your thoughts

TheEd

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 23-06-2008

I am certainly feeling much fitter and stronger at the moment. Taking it easy for a few days seems like a good idea as I an hit the 3 week plan from next week which will take me up to the next race.

One thing which did concern me from on Sunday was that I didn't feel I had enough stamina to maintain the pace I wanted for the entire race. Should I be doing anything in addition in order to improve my stamina?

Getting Started on Training Plan - TheEd - 23-06-2008

Hi amorts

I would not worry too much about focusing on the stamina aspect right now

all these things will be dealt with as you progress further with the training programs. After the next 10k race we can maybe focus on coming down to adding

10k Training Programs Offtime

and then into

10k Training Programs Buildup

this should begin to lay the proper foundation towards the 10k races in the future

Cheers

TheEd

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 22-07-2008

Hi Ed, I ran a 38.07 in the 10k on sunday. Although I did miss a couple of the track sessions I did follow your plan. No races planned until sep so what is the plan now? Thanks

Getting Started on Training Plan - TheEd - 22-07-2008

Hi amorts .. I take it that was another PB? Congrats if so

your next races

Sun Sep 7th - 10k
Sun Sep 21st - 10k

I would consider doing one week of the OffTime schedule

08 40 to 50min easy and totally relaxed - at ease through out *
09 Rest **
10 50min to 1hr easy and totally relaxed - at ease through out *
11 30 to 40min easy and totally relaxed - at ease through out *
12 50min to 1hr easy and totally relaxed - at ease through out *
13 Rest **
14 1hr easy and totally relaxed - at ease through out ***

and then the 2 week build-up

10k Training Programs Buildup

once you have done this and after the 3 weeks in total, you should do a 4k time-trial on a 400m track, record data and then we work out towards Sept with focus on the Sept 21 race .. that is not to say that the 7th cannot be a good race as well but rather to aim towards the 21st

I hope this helps

Please ask questions

TheEd

Getting Started on Training Plan - amorts - 19-08-2008

Latest 5 x 2k training info following the week off and 2 week build up.

19/08/2008
5 x 2k 90 secs R
Distance HR Before R HR After R Duration
2k N/A 187 00:07:05
4k 143 184 00:07:45
6k 123 188 00:07:03
8k 144 182 00:08:06
10k 127 189 00:07:51
0:37:50