Running Information Forums
Sub 40min 10k starting advice - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 40min 10k starting advice (/Thread-Sub-40min-10k-starting-advice)

Pages: 1 2

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - DrewMartin - 18-02-2011

Here are my 4 by 2K results, I definitely feel this is the right place to start. I was in a range of pushing myself but not hard enough to where I felt as if I was going to fail. I really tried to stay focused on hitting the 4:25 mark.

2k split pace. Avg hr.
4:19 150
4:22 156
4:24 158
4:23 159

I had a blast, the weather was awesome, other than being really windy. The temp was a perfect 66 degrees!

Drew

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - TheEd - 18-02-2011

well done Drew .. good to hear you are happy with where you are now

the 1000's will definitely be more enjoyable

well done

onwards and forwards

TheEd

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - DrewMartin - 21-02-2011

Long run in yesterday at a 5:45 per k pace.

I kind of goofed my 30 minute easy run today and ran pretty fast at a 4:40 per k pace. I didn't quite realize I was running at that pace till I looked down at the 25 minute mark. I may have pushed a little too hard for an easy run, although I didn't feel as if I was running extremely hard.

I would like to incorporate some strength training on the easy run days. Do you think doing both would have a negative affect on the program?

Thanks!
Drew

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - TheEd - 21-02-2011

you certainly need to cutback on your easy runs so you able to recover between sessions

the strength training is fine but I would first consider going through 2 cycles without complications before introducing the program

enjoy

TheEd

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - DrewMartin - 23-02-2011

Hey TheEd,

6 x 1k in the book and am definitely feeling my running form coming back. A cold and flurry filled run!

1k split pace. Avg hr
3:53 154
4:01 154
4:15 158
4:09 153
4:10 154
4:11 154

I started fast, but tried to concentrate on an even pace within range after the first kilometer, should I be trying to push my limits on these laps? Not that I didn't feel as though they were not tough for me, but I could maybe have pushed closer to my times for the first 2k throughout the set.

Drew

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - TheEd - 23-02-2011

it takes time to get used to the routine and for the sessions it is always nest to stick to the pace given as the target times are according to current shape and are progressive according to your development with the program

the next cycle should build on this foundation

TheEd
ps.. I take it your heart rate is accurate?

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - DrewMartin - 23-02-2011

I think it's accurate, this is the measurement from my Forerunner 305 and SportTracks. I could always try changing the battery in the heart rate monitor.

Drew

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - DrewMartin - 02-03-2011

Well..I ran today and didn't have the 3x5min at 10k pace with 1 min easy programmed into the Garmin and somehow had it in my head that it was 5 x 5 min at 10 k pace with 1 minute easy. So I ran a little much today...

I ran 5 min at 10k speed, then a slower minute. Only 5 times instead of 3...

Attached is a pace chart. My heart rate monitor seemed a bit wacky at the beginning. I hope this won't affect my recovery for a race day on Saturday, even though I don't have one scheduled I planned on running a 10K at pace to see where I am at.

Attachment may be small you can view larger here:
http://img839.imageshack.us/f/myactivities312011pacet.png/

Thanks!
Drew

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - TheEd - 02-03-2011

ok try get into the balance of the program, so that your body can adapt to the rhythm of the cycle

hope you enjoying the schedule

TheEd

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - DrewMartin - 05-03-2011

Hi TheEd,

Weather kind of threw a wrench in my run today (thunder, lightning, high winds) was planning a full 10k at speed since this is race day for me, but got cut short. I ran 5.8 k at a 4:17 pace before the storms set in for the day. I think I will have no problem going sub 45 minutes. I seem to be back on pace for my personal best (43:07).

Should I do the sub 45 schedule again? Or could we change it in a way that it's a sub 43 minute program?

Thanks!
Drew