Running Information Forums

Full Version: Help in Training for 10k race
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi The ED

Tried the 6x1000km, had to do it on a treadmill but only managed 4 sets before i had to stop my calf muscle on the left leg didn't feel right.

1 HR 168 R90 HR 130
2 HR 172 R90 HR 127
3 HR 176 R90 HR 140
4 HR 179

I cycled to work on it today (20km) & it was a bit tight.
What should I do next?

Many thanks
Mark
get the calf muscle to recover .. this can happen with the treadmill .. for the future set the angle differently so it has a slight incline

unless you have done this previously

tight calf muscles lead to many different problems, so make sure to focus on recovery

hope it all works out

TheEd
Hi
Ah, i had the treadmill with no incline, I will remember! Should I just go for a light run then?

Thanks
Mark
rather go for a swim as weight bearing will affect the calf muscle

make it a priority to recover

TheEd
Hi The Ed
The calf muscle seems to have settled down, looking to get back into the program, looking forward to race day on 20th Nov! what do you suggest to get back into the program.

thanks
Mark
you need a few light runs to get the routine going again and then maybe consider doing the 6 x 1k session next Tuesday if all is fine .. of course this will lead to the calf muscle tightening up, so your next few days of easy running will say whether or not you able to do any structured training

of course the 5 x 2k session has more value however that would probably have a negative effect on your calf muscles

here's hoping all goes well

TheEd
Hi Ed
I'm back into running again... (thanks to my kids who started harriers last year, the new 2023 season has started 1 Apr) and I would like to try and improve my half marathon time (1:45) and find some pace for the harriers events!  Half Marathon is in start of Sept and the harriers races are (ignoring weekly pack runs are usually every 3 weeks ish.  Would the 10km program be of use for this endeavour?  
It's great that this forum is still going and the stories are inspiring.

Thanks
Mark
This is great news Mark .. welcome back

and yes, you can use the 10k programs towards the 21k .. 18k would be your long run and where you start and pace will be according to current fitness

enjoy TheEd
Pages: 1 2