Running Information Forums

Full Version: Training Help Please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
more than welcome to post your data and I shall provide feedback

things a little hectic at this very moment and I hope to get the marathon structure sorted out very soon

time allowing Smile

good luck with the marathon planning

TheEd
Like many others, I've been viewing this forum for a while, and am looking for some direction.

Running History
Ran cross country from grades 4 to 8.
Ran a half marathon in 1997.
Started running more regularly in 2003 - ran a marathon in 4:07, then another in 2004 in 3:45, began running 50km and 50 miles after that until 2007, stopped running for a few years.
Last year I started building back up to running regularly - and ran 47:43 in 10km in August - and then had to stop running.
Ran a 10km yesterday in 52:45 - off of minimal training, just to get an idea of where I'm at. Legs are a bit heavy, but otherwise feeling good.
I've never done speedwork as part of my training, it's all been slow running, but I want to add some speed into my legs before getting back into longer distances.
I'm not sure what 10km program to start with sub 50 or sub 45 or what paces I should be running at. Oh and I've registered for a half marathon September 23 - I'd like to PB there (previous PB is 1:45:02).
Please help! Smile
Any advice would be welcome.
Hi and welcome to the forums mpayne

we will look to balance your training while you use the

sub 50 minute 10km program

look to do the quality sessions while on this first 3 week cycle taking a 'rest' day after the quality sessions

once you go through a cycle without any complications then you can look to step-up the training thereafter

enjoy

TheEd
Thanks for the quick response - I will be doing the intervals, for now, on a treadmill - the R in between - is that easy running? walking? or nothing?
Hi .. from feedback of others doing the treadmill sessions, I think they jump off for the rest, I am not totally sure how everyone else does it

the intent would be for the pulse to be able to come down during the rest, so it this can be achieved by total rest or by light jogging is up to the individual

let me know what you decide to do and how it works out for you

Cheers

TheEd
So here is what I've done so far this week.
Started a daily bike commute to and from work - 12.5km one way so 25km daily
Monday - no running
Tuesday - ran 300m and stopped legs too sore still from the race, and temperature too hot ~33
Wednesday - 30 minutes easy run 5.0km
Thursday 3x2km at 4:55 pace
This is probably the one and only time I will wear a heart rate monitor as I can't stand the chafing I get from it - unless anyone can offer up a good solution.
(Last year I wore the heart rate strap regularly then raced with it and got such bad chafing I haven't been able to wear the strap since)
Here's the stats:
1km warmup at 6:00/km pace - average heart rate 142
2km 9:49 - average hr 167 max 175
2 minute break - bathroom break so no running - average hr 150, max 172
2km 9:48 - average hr 169 max 176
90second break - walked at 10:55/km pace - average hr 160 max 173
2km 9:46 - average hr172 max 177
90 second cooldown walked at 10:55/km average hr 159 max 177
Total of 7.49km
Felt ok - harder than I expected, but I felt like I could have done another one.
According to the plan tomorrow will be a rest day from running, but will still have my bike commute to/from work.
mpayne what kind of pulsometer do you have? Is it a Garmin one? Or another brand?

For the Garmin, there's a new kind of strap that is way more comfortable than the previous versions, this is the one I have and having quite sensitive skin I can use it with no problems at all. I don't remember now which is the model but it should be easy to find out, it's the latest one which also comes with the newest Garmin devices.

If it's a Polar, I had one before replacing it with the Garmin and I also felt it was more or less comfortable, again it has more than one model of strap and the latest ones which come in softer versions are always better (despite some say they are less durable).

Just my two cents if It could be of any help Big Grin
I have the garmin 305 - I hope it could be as easy as replacing the old strap with the new one! Will check it out this weekend.
Have a look at this amazing review of the Garmin 610 (this is the one I have, expensive but quite happy with it).

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/04/garmi...eview.html

In the middle of the article there are some pictures of the three models:

[Image: IMG_9568A%5B8%5D_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800]

[Image: IMG_9570A%5B5%5D_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800]
It does seem a lot better! Maybe that with some vaseline/body glide initially will be all I need!