Running Information Forums

Full Version: Training Program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hi TheED

I found your program, and i really like it, and decided to try, as i am trying to improve my 10kms time in a triathlon, for that need to improve the 10kms time on its own. a little bit of background, i used to do triathlons a few years ago, and stopped for 4 to 5 years, during those kept running, doing a couple of marathons and several other small races. best time on the marathon was 2h58min, and 2 years ago i did 33min20sec for 10kms and 1h15min30sec for the half marathon. when i try to increased my volume of training i got injury, what made me come back to triathlons.
last july i did 34min10sec for 10kms, but in a triathlon race i do just under 38min.
so now that i don't have any race soon, i have been swimming and running only.
i had a week completly of after a major race, and then restarted with your off training program.
last saturday i did the 4kms test in the track after a swim, and the result was;

1st km 3min23sec (avg HR 161)
2nd 3min23sec (177)
3rd 3min29sec (181)
4th 3min25sec(184)

so i did the 4kms in 13min40sec with pace of 3min25sec per km. As per your recomendations i calculate the paces as

2kms rep 3min30sec to 3min35sec
1kms rep @ 3min25sec
5kms pace run @ 17min30sec
400m @ 1min20sec

so last monday i start the program and i run 1h
(hr 149) and i think the pace was something between 4min10sec and 4min30sec
tuesday i run 1h30min (hr147)
wednesday 30min (hr133)
thursday i did the 5 x 2kms with 1min30sec rest
and the result was
1st km - 3min32sec (154)
2nd - 3min37sec (165)
rest (124)
3rd - 3min32sec (160)
4th - 3min35sec (170)
rest (133)
5th - 3min31sec (165)
6th - 3min33sec (174)
rest (137)
7th - 3min32sec (165)
8th - 3min34sec (174)
rest (140)
9th - 3min36sec (166)
10th - 3min31sec (174)
rest (139)

done in the track.
today, friday i had a complete rest. let me know how are your thoughts about my training, and how i should approach the program when i restart cycling.

thanks

ricardo
Hi ricardo .. thanks for posting up your data

hopefully after one cycle we can balance things to add your cycling and swimming so that we can keep you on the right triathlon track as well

your 33:20 10km PB is quite nice and if we were to be really successful and got you to running 10km at that pace again, then it would be an aim to have you running a 35:30 10km at the end of a triathlon

that I suppose would be great

your 2000m session was quite solid and even though you hitting the splits your telltale sign of where you really stand is in the Rest pulse and even there you are not far off .. 130 being your aim in the future 2000m sessions .. so if you run 3.30 per k for the 2000's if your pulse touched 130 before starting your next 2k then the progress is right there

you in pretty good shape judging from the little feedback you have given and I think that your progress should be quite rapid

I am pleased to see that you are able to push your pulse up to 184 at the end of the 4km and yet hit the paced times at 174 beats at the end of the last 3 2k's

make sure to take care of yourself over the weekend and I look forward to seeing the 1km feedback after that session

what have you planned for Saturday and Sunday?

Till later

The Ed
Hi The Ed,

Thanks for your reply and your feedback, i am looking forward to see the progress.
Regarding the heart rates they are all average, on the interval i went higher but only average 174, and during the rest if i rememmber well i think i went lower than 130, but those figures were average. my watch only records average. i will pay more attention next time. do you think that my rest should be only enough to have a heart rate of 130, or should i do the full 90sec?
On triathlon the fastest that i have run was @36min30sec, but with a slower swim and a slower bike. my last triathlon i improved my overall time, after all the more important, but i was a bit disapointed with the run, even knowing that i didn't have enough running to do a great time. 35min30sec would be awesome.

Today i did the 90min run with a HR of 147, max 158, and my pace on the flat was arround 4min20sec and 4min40sec, i think.
i swam 2,2km before.
tomorrow will do the easy run only.
during the long run i felt sore legs, i think is the result of the 2kms session, after 3 weeks without quality work, and was by far the most that i have run in the track. probably for future sessions i will get use to, but maybe this time i should have waited another day.
the 1kms session should be easy, because i am very familiar with them. unless i am still tired.
till later,

Ricardo
most important to see that your legs recover

most important

if necessary take a day off tomorrow and focus on leg recovery so you ready for the 1000's on Tuesday

in the 2000's do not lower the Rest .. go through the cycles and as we progress we will work closer on heart rate and the like

we keep it simple for the first few cycles and let the body make the natural progression

please let me know how your legs are tomorrow

what long run did you do?

TheEd
Hi,

The long run is one that i normally do, i think would be arround 17-18kms, mostly flat, with one hill. some parts grass, most of it concrete.
one sunday i did 35mins really light jogg, hr @110, on the grass, even if i wanted
i couldn't do much more due to the soreness.
today, legs were a lot better, i went for a 50min run with avg hr of 140, probably pace between 4min30sec and 4min40sec. still some soreness, but
a lot better. Think that will be all right for tomorrow.
ricardo
nope ricardo, it would be a good idea to give day's rest tomorrow, do some swimming or even a 'correct' spinning session

then we schedule 1000's for Wednesday and Thursday an easy run

if you simply push through this feeling now it can lead to chronic fatigue of the muscles and on to over-training symptoms

let's nip it in the bud now and have a no running day

Cheers

TheEd
Following your advice. will run tomorrow.
ricardo
wise move .. when you wake up in the tomorrow morning access your legs once getting out of bed

always be aware of your legs if you have done new quality training especially if it is weight bearing

good stuff

here's hoping you feel shipshape tomorrow

the 2000m session is a tough one

Cheers

TheEd
Hey, you were right, good decision, although i felt that i could do
the session yesterday, this morning i felt a lot better. The 2000m
sessions is really a though one, for the body and for the mind.
today i did the 6 x 1km with 1min rec on the track.

1st km 3min25sec (AVG HR 152/ rest AVG HR 132)
2nd km 3min20sec (162/138)
3rd 3min22sec (161/145)
4th 3min19sec (170/148)
5th 3min21sec (169/150)
6th 3min22sec (168/153)

On the first 3 the HR was lower than 120 after 40sec, on the other 3 lower than 130 after 45sec, apart from the last one that took a bit long, but still manage to start with HR close to 120.
legs felt a lot better.
for the next couple of weeks i will not be able to run in a track or even in a measured circuit, so i was thinking using as guide the HR and "feel" for the 400m and 1min sessions. what do you think??
so tomorrow and friday 2 easy runs, sat rest and sunday 5kms session??
Cheers
Ricardo
Hi TheED,

Since last update, i kept going through the program, with a few changes, due
to being away. the easy runs had been really easy, with low HR, missed a couple of them, but tried to keep the important sessions.
The 5kms session did it on a treadmill in 17min20sec(if it is reliable) with avg hr 168 and max 181
The 10 X 400m replaced with 10 x 1min20sec, avr hr for each one arround 150 with a max of 179
Last saturday did the fartlek, after 2 days without running, and sunday instead of a race, did something similar, 5kms on the treadmill @ 18kms/hr
so close to 3min20sec/km, figured that could be the pace for my actual 5kms race, and didn't feel to bad, my avg hr from the 1st to the last km was 158,170,174,179,181. legs really feeling well.
Back to the start now, did a 40min run today avg hr 107, max 116, too low not because was tired, but because i am in a place that i am not familiar with,
so basically just jog.
What do you normally advice for the second cicle, stick to the same to get some consistency, or try to improve on the 5x2 and 6x1 sessions??
really enjoied the plan, towards the end the legs become fresher, maybe to prepare to race. looking forward for your advices. Thanks.

Ricardo
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9