Running Information Forums

Full Version: Target sub 35 after short break from sprint tris
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've had a couple of weeks off since the World tri champs where I came 4th in the sprint age group (35-39). I ran 16:39 for 5km (prob 4.9k). I want to get stuck in to your sub 35min running programme to see what I can get down to for a 5k and 10k over the next few months - backing off a bit from intense tri training i was doing over the summer - still with a goal but ensuring I can spend time with the family too. My running was best ever before the break some cracking track sessions (5x1km 3:06 3:03 3:03: 2:57 2:57) and 8x400m off 2mins (68s-69s) I have all my stats and HR on trainingpeaks. Hopefully I haven't lost too much fitness although I have done very little in the past 2 weeks other than eat and drink ! I'll sign myself up for a few races spaced 3 weeks apart over the next few months as targets and motivation.
Hi, we have been interacting via email, so if we can get things documented here we can come up to speed and then I always have something to refer back to in the future

over to you

TheEd
I did 5 km park run on Saturday in 16:40 a new pb for me v pleased after 2 weeks proper break.
I lapped the 4km time at 13:22 which is quite accurate 4 km Tt given I blew up a bit in the last km. It was 50m short on Garmin so looks like I kept the same pace. A good marker to calculate the 2km reps from.

splits for the first 4 km were
3:15
3:21
3:24
3:22

Ultimately my goal is to improve 5km time (clost to 16 or even sub 16!?) do you think following the 10km programme will help this too ?

Thanks

Rob
Hi there Rob, congrats on the 5k time (3.20 per k)

one question though which is quite important and that we have to be aware of that it may be necessary to have a small off-time and then a build-up period

what I would suggest if you want to have a crack at a 8 to 10k time is to see whether you can find a race to run this coming weekend

you may be pleasantly surprised

before we proceed further, please let me know your thoughts on this?

TheEd
I'll see if I can find a 10km this weekend, but might be tricky. If I can get one in what sort of training would you recommend for this week ?

What's the thinking behind the offtime (on top of the past 2
weeks I've already had off and the build period - I presume the idea is that this will ultimately make me faster ?)

Thanks

Rob
when do you have the 10k 'bangs' aimed for, I think you may have a 10k PB in your legs currently, so worth giving that a bash

if you able to find a 10k race or even 8k this weekend, let me know straight away

the idea behind a longer build-up is because you may round off in too good a shape at a time where there is no benefit

the more we converse now more we can place the marker as to where your performances can be

here's hoping you get my drift Smile

TheEd
Yes makes sense. I think I've found a suitable race 10km race for Sunday which I will try and enter. I haven't established firm goals for this / next year. I need to spend a bit more time with family (3 kids) hence a bit less tri so I thought I'd try and focus on improving my running between now and early next year. Ultimately goal still remains sprint triathlon so 5kms is key but the programme looks good for 5lm and 10km. I haven't run 10km properly for several years. My pb was 37:50 so I hope to beat that at least !
good stuff .. how do you plan on running down to the event

what training for the next few days

you in shape to run sub 37 minutes, so hopefully the course helps you

TheEd
Probably drive or cycle to the race as its 10km away. I had planned to start the 10km programme today so not sure now about training this week. Probably a short swim in morning followed by short easy treadmill run at lunchtime (30mins) or easy cycle to and from work (20km ew). What do you suggest ? Thanks. Rob
do the same run down to the event as you did for last week before the 5k run

this should keep you on familiar ground

enjoy

TheEd