Running Information Forums

Full Version: Sub 40 for orienteer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So, I'm into orienteering and trail and mountain running. I'm interested in running your sub 40, since my current 10K PB is around 43 minutes. What I need are advices on how to use your program, with some changes, for mountain running, lets say, trail 10K - 15K, with good amount of climb. One of my goals, however is to run better time on road races.

Here are my PBs:
5K - 20:55
10K - around 43min
Half marathon - 1h41min50sec
I ran one 50K (6h 20min)

My goals for 2010:
5K - under 19min
10K under 40min
half marathon around 1h30min if possible
And just to run two 50K, one in May, and the other in September. If you think it would be too much to run 50K in May, I can run shorter distance (30K?).
Also there are a bunch of orienteering races, which I would not really race, but use as a training.

My idea is to do long run, fartlek, and easy distance runs on small hills. Maybe sometimes to run a hill session instead a 5K paced run? I don't know if it's ok. Is it too hard, or maybe it wont be enough for my goals.
Hi Novelja and welcome

first off what I would recommend is that you adjust to the training routine of the 10k programs and once you have run through a few cycles we can then start to adapt the program to achieve your specific goals

what we need to know now if what type of shape you are in now and then from there we can start constructing your sessions and then work towards adding hills etc

so a 4k time-trial is our call for now

provide as much info about the test as possible

if you can do this on a 400m track all the better then we can have your lap splits and if you have a heart rate monitor then even better

over to you

TheEd
I can provide you my times from few recent 5K runs (we have a trial/race simulation/group training every Saturday). I'm always doing a 500m splits on these runs.

Here are my last two:

December 5th:
5K - 21:07
Split (500m): 2:08 - 2:08 - 2:11 - 2:12 - 2:10 - 2:10 - 2:06 - 2:03 - 2:07 - 1:52

November 21st:
5K - 20:55 (my current PB)
Split (500m): 2:07 - 2:08 - 2:10 - 2:10 - 2:09 - 2:08 - 2:08 - 2:08 - 2:02 - 1:45

So, I'm running another one this Saturday. Is it OK to give you that 5K time and split at Saturday, or you would strongly recommend that I do a 4K trial?

I don't have a HR monitor, so I don't know my HR values through the run.

More (maybe useful) information:
My weekly mileage is around 60-70km.
Till now, I've been running 5 days a week.
Longest recent run: 26km over hilly terrain (800m of climb)
Last 4 weeks I've been doing interval sessions, 800s and 400s.
Hi Novelja .. please take a look at the

sub 40 minute 10km program

we shall rehash that so that you first focus on doing sessions to achieve sub 43 minutes and once you adapt to the program we can look at all that needs to be done

are you happy with this suggestion?

Thanks

TheEd
I'm happy! Smile

So, I suppose that I don't need any extra build-up weeks and we will start the program at Tuesday 15th?

I also calculated my paces for interval sessions using your formula from program tips page, and my times should be like this (correct me if I'm wrong):
2K session: 8:40 (4:20 per km)
1K session: 4:10
400m session: 1:36

If I start this Tuesday, then first interval session will fall on Thursday, how many 2K's I should do?

And the last question so far, for easy days, are those runs strictly 30 minutes, or I can run a bit longer, lets say 40-45?

Thanks!
Correct Novelja

pace times right and we go into the training as u mentioned

you provide feedback and the first sessions we make sure everything is OK

the 2000m session can be tough, so Thursday you will be doing 5 .. if you feel flat then you do 4 .. as this is the first cycle

all 30 minute runs with the cycles in this program

The Build Up program is actually aimed at those who have trained on the programs before and who then use the build up to go to the next level

these programs are all aimed at developing athlete to the next level continuously, we cannot achieve this within a 3 month period however after 6 to 9 months you should be at a completely different level and judging from you feedback you already show an understanding of running

Cheers

TheEd
Yes, I learned a lot since February when I started running for real. When I was younger I trained orienteering, and then had a 4 year pause, which looking from this point of view was a big mistake. So, about this programs, I'm really don't wanna rush and explode in 3 months, and it's the main reason why I'm here. To hear some professional advices, and follow the program which is adapted to my current shape, which will take me to higher level slowly and safe, as you said. Btw, I'm 20 years old, so I think there is no reason to hurry. Smile

and few more questions...

How should I end this week? Should I take a rest, end it as my usuall week, or maybe end it like a third week from you program? Yeseterday I've done 60min easy with 15 min fartlek in the middle. Today rested, so is it ok if I do a harder 5K this tommorow, an easy 30' orienteering training at Sunday, and easy 30' run at Monday?

Also, recently I incorporated some strength training into my schedule. I'm doing push-ups, core exercises and leg muscle exercises (for quads and hamms, cause I had knee problems in Setember) 4-5 times a week. Is it ok to continue with that, stop totally, or keep it but with lower intensity until I pass through few cycles of program?

looking forward to give my best! thanks for your help!
do easy runs for now .. 30 to 40 minutes

on Tuesday you can look to do 1hr

and then Thursday is the main session

you may be pleased to hear that Time-to-Run has for a long while planned to provide some Orienteering coverage and now since you have joined I have spoken to someone who has on at least 4 occasions competed at the World Orienteering Champs

so in 2010 we will be rolling something out as well as providing 'firm' advice in that area

Cheers and have a good weekend

TheEd
Hi Ed!

This morning I woke up with a happy smile on my face, cause it's officially the first day of running your program. I looked through window, and there was 30cm of snow, and it was still falling, which is really rear for our region. I quickly dressed up, decided to wear my trail running shoes, and ran 1h in through the deep snow. I covered only 10.6km, but the feeling was great.Smile

Now, I have a question...

There are easy days (30 minutes running) which I guess should be at "conversational pace". But what about easy distance and time on feet runs? Should they also be run at comfortable pace, or should I aim for something faster? For example, I'm running conversational pace at 5:30 min/km, but I also feel totally relaxed when running 5:05-5:10, only difference is I'm talking a bit harder..
...and one more, which time of the day is the best to do workouts? Is it ok to do all easy runs early in the morning, and harder sessions (intervals, paced runs) around noon?
Pages: 1 2 3