Running Information Forums

Full Version: Applying 10k sub40 program for a sub48 12k?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Ed,
thanks for the programs - I followed your sub40min last year in the lead up to a 12k race with the hope that it would get me through under 50minutes. I ran 49.33 but hoped to knock that under 48 this year. I have 14 weeks to go so thought i might apply the same method. Firstly, is this a sensible method to get the best results out of the 12k or should i alter the program slightly? Secondly, I managed the program last year but found it quite difficult (esp the 5*2ks) - I think this could partly be due to overtraining on the 'easy day' runs so wondered how i better judge my pace on these days as I;d usually end up running about 12.7 - 13k on the easy 1hr day and at similar paces for the shorter easy days. Is is better to go too slow that too fast as my brain always played tricks on me during these sessions?

I'm running 5k tests at 19.58 at moment so assume this program is about my level.

thanks

Sparno
Hi Sparno and welcome to the forums

yes, the program most definitely equips you to race up to 15 km without the need for change, if looking at 21km then we recommend a change to the first Sunday long run in week 1.

Currently your fitness of 19:58 would have you in shape to run around 42 minutes for 10km

with the forum feedback you are able to get assistance to reach the various levels needed to achieve the sub 48 minute goal which means you will need to be in shape to run around 38 minutes for 10km

so to start with, you would do the 5 x 2km session at around 4.10 per km

and as you have pointed out, you will need to take things a lot easier on your recovery days

over to you .. your thoughts

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. what training have you been doing currently .. long runs etc
Hi Ed,
thanks for your quick reply – I have been amazed how quickly you seem to reply to people across so many time zones – you certainly are a great resource.
Currently I have been doing 3 quality sessions a week loosely based around your sub 40 program, being 400*15 in 90sec (90rest), 1k* 8 in 4min (90rest) and a longer run of 70 to 80 min at 5:00 pace. Every few weeks I’ve been throwing in a 20min 5k for good measure.
I intend to start your program soon – wondering how early I should start and whether I should jump straight into the program or do your build-up program with more of the longer easy runs first?
As for the ‘easy day’ runs – is 5:00 pace ok? feels too slow but I guess it needs to be.
Hi Sparno .. good stuff .. it seems like you have adapted to things quite well but will certainly have to do the 'dreaded' 5 x 2k if you want the most results

400's will always be easier and the 400's we provide is aimed at 3k development

the 1k's you have been doing are fine however the 90 seconds rest does not develop the element we focus on most 'speed endurance'

with the 2km you get a 90 second rest and is at 10km pace once you cope with this session races are a breeze in comparison

play it by ear for now, providing feedback as to what you are doing and consider starting the 2k session at 4.05 to 4.10 per k for 8.10 to 8.20 per 2k

the 5 minute per k is fine, try to take your mind of running there and consider running your easy runs with someone who is slower than you

your Sunday long run c an be around 5.30 per k when over 12 to 15km

please ask further questions where necessary

Cheers

TheEd