Running Information Forums

Full Version: Sub 50 10k with regular training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Ed,

I did my first 10K race today, as amusement, scored 52m53s (PB as first official run Big Grin). I loved it and I would be glad to improve my time.

I usually run 2-3 times a week, about 7km in 40mn but I'm ready to do more if needed. I thought I could start with the sub 50min 10k.
I had a a little question, as what would be the talk pace ? Is this related to PB + 1mn/km (I usually never talk even when I'm with friends so I've no reference)

Finally, I'd like to ask what should I do when I don't want to do a real race on day 21? Try to beat PB on a track or just go back to day 1?

Feel free to ask for any additional information. I'm ready to do a 4k time-trial (with splits for every km or 400m?), I think I've a stadium nearby.
Thank you !

Tikoo
Hi Tikoo and welcome to the forums

congrats on your 52 minute 10k race

this time can be used to train on the

sub 50 minute 10 km schedule

the talk test is normally determined by being able to talk while running, it is normally seen that if you are unable to talk then you running too fast for an easy run

you can use the "Is this related to PB + 1mn/km" for your easy runs but getting it right may take some practise

on the race day .. you could do things such as a 4km time-trial or 5 to 8km as a trial however it is good to have a faster run on that day as the cycles are training/preparing you to run faster on those days

If you like you can start with Day 1 tomorrow and Thursday's session can be as per program

You will also need to provide feedback so that you do not do too much to start with, so we will need to revamp a number of sessions slowly introducing you to the cycles .. please ask questions as it would be best to attempt running every 2nd day for now and hopefully the program will teach you consistency over time and by practising caution we can avoid problems

TheEd
Hi Ed !

Thanks for answering my questions. I have no problem with running everyday I think I could adapt my schedule quite easily or I could just run in the morning before work.
I started today (Tuesday) the sub 50 minute program, I wanted to take it slow on Monday after the Sunday race.

I took as 6mn17s/km as a reference adding 1mn/km to my PB.

October 4th - 30min easy run- Day 0

Time: 27mn32
Dist:4,47km
6min9/km

October 5th - 60 to 70min easy distance - Day 1

Time: 66mn03
Dist:10,59km
6min14/km
please take a rest day on wednesday and then Thursday we can look at the first 2k session

3 x 2km Rest 90 seconds and pace 5.05 per k for a 10.10 / 2000m

please ask questions for clarity

Cheers

TheEd
Hey Ed

Progress report :

October 6th - Rest - Day 2

October 7th - 3x2k R90-2min 9min 50 (4.55 per k) - Day 3

2K| 9mn49
2k| 9mn48
2k| 9mn51

I'm sorry I forgot that you had given me another assignement (10:10 per 2km) than the one given in the sub 50 programm ! I hope I didn't over train.

I saw "time on feet" for 1h45 run on day 5. What does it mean?

Thank you sir !
10.10 was a precaution while adapting to the program

everything is progressive and you shouldn't be over training from this one session

now the 1hr 45 minute run .. time on feet

I would recommend 75 to 90 minutes maximum on this time out

time on feet is meant to be easy "EASY" running which equals weight bearing exercise which is plain the amount of time on your feet

please ask questions for further clarity

great to see you on your way

enjoy

TheEd
Hey Ed,

October 8th - Rest - Day 4

October 9th - 'time on feet' 75 to 90 minutes - Day 5

4k laps around a park

4k|27mn 6mn45/km
4k|21mn 5mn15/km
4k|22mn 5mn37/km
1k2|7mn 5mn49/km

Total 1h17mn 13,2km 5mn49s/km

I didn't realize I was so irregular until the end. I know it's quite bad, and also that I went a bit too fast. I really liked this session though.

Next exercise is 5x1k on Tuesday, should I tweak it to adapt to the program?

Finally I've another question, I ride my bike a lot to get to work or to go to the athletic track, and I read in another thread than I should do it in a special way if I want it to be profitable to the training. Could you explain this to me?

Thanks
straight to the bike question .. SPINNING is a cycling term which has become a gym workout term, the gym workout is wrong according to what spinning in cycling is meant to achieve

spinning .. low gear high repetition .. aerobic workout without affecting the legs in a negative manner .. if done correctly then the cardiovascular (heart & lungs) is utilised without placing much stress on the leg muscles and specifically the quadriceps

so spinning can be used for recovery and can supplement the aerobic side

used incorrectly where the leg muscles are over worked and the cycling will not provide recovery after the hard running sessions

please ask for more info if need be

time on feet is meant to be an enjoyable run .. low stress and pace does not play a major role in the early days

nice going .. and on to next week

TheEd
Hey Ed,

My time for the "5x1k R60 - 90 4min 45 to 4min50 L" on October 12th
Splits were : 4mn '43 '47 '41 '36 '44s

And 5K paced run yesterday : 23'58s

I'm enjoying a lot this program, it isn't too time consuming and I feel like I'm already making some progress !
Thanks for answering my question about spinning, I ride my bike this way since then, even if it is a little bit slower.

Looking forward to running Fartlek on Tuesday, should I use 5mn/km as my 10k pace?
I'd like to set a personal best on my local park which is 3,9km long on race day Saturday, is this possible or is it a too short distance?

Thank you
5 minutes per k for the fartlek is good

as for the run on Saturday that is fine

the whole idea behind running fast on the race day is to develop the routine of running well on the chosen day and the cycles trains you to achieve this as such

TheEd
Pages: 1 2