Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 19-06-2013

Hi Ed,
finally manage to log in really don't know what happened I can only think the delay in the internet I typed my password very carefully many times and it would not have it, but never mind. Just to let you know I have had a fairly easy week this far 40 mins Monday recovery run Tuesday day off and today 5x800 cruise intervals with 1.30 min recovery fairly easy I might add.so tomorrow ill do 1 hour easy and Friday a little fartlek and a jog 30 mins Saturday as the race Sundays going to be hard for me lots of hard hills so ill just go with the flow. I wanted to ask how much fitness I would loose by cross training six weeks? I plan to train hard and have my heart rate banging in my chest every 3rd day or so.Ive been offered another job for 3 weeks which would be less damaging to my training but less financial rewarding I don't really care about the money its the running that matters so not sure what to do either way I am going to loose something regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 19-06-2013

Hi Jon .. you can get away with training every 2nd day however you need to have a few principles in place to achieve the ability to maintain fitness and to achieve a certain amount of success off that training

if you back off from yourself and don't over extend your expectations you would be able to maintain an amount of fitness and then be able to build on that within 3 weeks of returning to Terra-firma

remember a more purposeful interval session which stimulates race conditions is best achieved with a short REST .. running as close as possible to desired race pace

then complimenting those sessions with plain aerobic training will provide you with the best conditioning to maintain a state of fitness I think you desire

TheEd
ps.. the duration of the quality should be no less than 2 minutes and you have to maintain a pulse range for up to 2 minutes which is not over threshold

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 20-06-2013

Hi Ed
thanks very much for your post a great read I might add. I am really wanting to do a simulation of the 3 week cycle which is do able on the cross trainer. I know the leg action is not the same but in the past I've used them after rolling my ankles and built up good fitness on them leading to a great cross country session so gut feeling says use this equipment over the spin bike and rower. But a bit of variation will help no doute. Looking forward to Sunday now and giving myself a good hard run in the 10k.so that's all for now regards and thanks..Smile

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 24-06-2013

HI ED,
just like to say thanks for your help over the last 5 weeks or so.I think I caSmilen firmly say the training is working and enjoying the ride back to fitness it's amazing as runner's how we get ingrosed in running faster the whole time and not living in the present and looking to the future for better times.that aside I would say to anyone else reading the thread to stick with the cycles relax and the form will come..I for one have gone against the grain of the program as old habbits don't die fast.so to that end it's a big thankyou to the ed and fear not the trainings spot on best wishes and regards Jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 24-06-2013

nice to read Jon .. we can chat more as to what to do when you at sea again

some aerobic work and then some pulse raising sessions thrown in however with aerobic creating a foundation

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 24-06-2013

Hi Ed
will be off tommorrow so offshore by wednesday night sometime think if i keep this week easy until ive settled into floating prison life lol then into a nice training mode for the start of july.ive been online and spotted a race sept 15th so will be home first week august will be intouch soon best wishes jon.ps will get a run or too in before going out to see that i can say lol..all for now..

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 25-06-2013

great to hear Jon

may everything come together with the least amount of stress

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 30-06-2013

Hi Ed,
just to give you an update ive made a steady start to training on the cross trainer this week so looking forward to trying to simulate the 3 week cycle on the cross trainer its a very good piece of equipment not one of the cheap ones so looks like i can put this to good use,so today a easy 45 mins before going on a long run or ski call it what you will tomorrow thats all ive got for now regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 01-07-2013

Hi Jon, please let me know what sessions you do, please?

I would be most interested to hear what sessions you put together

all the best

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 01-07-2013

Hi Ed,
just started the cycle so ive done a long run/ski today at 125-130 bpm 1.35mins nice and easy so tommorrow 45 mins on a mixed hill climb.the rest prior to going on cycle was 50 mins easy for the last 4 days.thats all i have at the moment looking forward to the 2k reps all good this far regards jon.