Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 25-11-2012

Hi Jon, for the future and especially if you racing a 10k the following week it is best to do a 5k paced at 10k race pace, so that you don't over reach

next week you must get into the rhythm of less is better

hopefully you have a great week before next week's race

enjoy

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 25-11-2012

Hi gavin,
thanks very much i promise to be a good boy now and follow the program cant help myself sometimes..so a 5k at 3.30 per k tuesday or wednesday?regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 28-11-2012

Hi ed,
just for your info i ran 3.15 per kilometer today don't know exactly if that was what you was telling me to do but i went and did it anyway felt hard but to be honest good in some ways as ive lost my speed big time after base phase racing on Sunday as the great Ron hill said race lots...and improve..so going to take an easy 10k am tomorrow and 6x1 min Friday should get under 35 on Sunday all been well hopefully can start sub 33 training then regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 03-12-2012

Hi ED,
well not heard anything from you for a while so i thought i would drop you a few lines i raced sunday last which really went well 2nd place over all.again my issue is speed seem to be coming back slowly.i would like to say that i am going on to your sub 33 min program and see what happens from there hope all is well with you best wishes and thanks jon.Smile

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 05-12-2012

hi Ed.
not sure if your getting my threads or not sent three now and nothing back. not in the habit of speaking alone so if you are getting the message please hit me up. after all i am trying to bring 25 years of experience into your forums and have run as an elite so please either way let me know if i am been heard failing that wish you well with your forus and bit you fair well.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 06-12-2012

Sorry Jon, not sure how I missed this .. what time did you finish with at the 10k race ..

it is not the norm to miss threads and if it occurs it is not intentional

onwards and forwards

TheEd
ps.. I note that this thread is in the INFO forum, so I shall move it under the 10k forum so that this doesn't occur again

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 06-12-2012

hi Gavin,
sorry also mate got on my high horse a bit there so sorry for that. Any how only ran a back end 34 mins so not great but OK..ive started another cycle of sub 35 and try to get into the grove without breaking off to race so due to do a 5x2k next,ive ran 1 hour recovery run where it say 30 mins as i was worried about my mileage been down, I've added 30 mins extra in the morning 3 times per week and knuckled down to the program,i think sub 33 training is a bit hard for me at this point as i am only running 3.14 3.15 per k on the 1k reps.so another 15 seconds a k to find to get back where i was still that's what ive got so best just come back slowly as the inevitable going happen.hope this thread finds you ok and best wishes jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 06-12-2012

no hassles Jon .. coming back to the program

once you go through a few cycles and then go on the Build Up, we recommend the runner maintains the 1hr runs achieved from the Build-up and then with the runner going sub 34 we then recommend am runs

the 5 x 2k session tells you where you are

at first we like to work on less is better adding further load as the athlete adapts to the program

so maintain your 'extra' runs though we must look to see you achieve the interval sessions on target accordingly

over to you

TheEd
ps.. thread moved to 10k feedback forum

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 06-12-2012

Hi Ed,
thanks very much for your post, I've a plan to race 13th of January now so my thinking is two cycles race then on to build up.I think 3 weeks would be enough on build up. I've copied the forums of another runner maintaining the 1 hr this far so with the exception off two races together pretty much stayed on the plan.What i would ask is there any mileage in swapping the 2k reps with a 30 min tempo run say at 3.42 per k?? just an idea as i feel these help me.What i would say is in build up phase i probably ran too slowly my heart rate was low around 135-140 bpm i know its important to do this but i am just thinking back ten years ago when i was training for a half marathon the slow running seems to stuff me up some how i can explain how my speed goes but can only say its gone again,My plan was to run 68 for the half i came in some 3 mins off pace not impressed at all.However the form came back i was in 31 mins shape for 10k within six weeks my conclusion of all this is ive got to keep some quality in there even if its a fartlek session.Hope this is of interest to other runners on the forums and us my experience to there advantage best wishes jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 07-12-2012

Hi Jon, I would strongly advise giving the cycles a chance, the design of these programs are progressive, we could not put too much data onto the website, so instead created these forums to build the runners towards the progressive nature of the programs

whereas we believe in tempo runs and all the benefits, we work very much on the principle to start at less, see the results and build up from there

with the 3 week cycle it is designed in a way to get the body into some form of a rhythm which they feel they have control over and can then aim for races to perform on the day accordingly

I would strongly recommend to you to rather create short term achievable goals while maintaining your long term goals, try not to think too much about the past.

on top of this recommendation, see what results you get with less before having the approach according to what you did before.

During my times of coaching in Cape Town, SA, the athletes in the squad used the programs very effectively to achieve results on the day that counted, so do try to give the program a chance and with feedback from here you can hopefully achieve this.

TheEd
ps.. you achieve the target times in the 5 x 2k and you very likely to get the results in the race