Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 16-10-2013

Hi Ed,
how's it going?? I've been pretty sore after racing Sunday but easy sorted rest and easy runs to help me recover. I will do the 1k reps on Thursday and see how we go looking for 3.30 per 1k with a bit of luck the rest is straight forward. I cant help but think that I am due a 4k time trial at some point would like to lower the 14.18 on the last attempt think I am looking for an edge on racing on the 27th by improving my 4k time to give me the confidence to run faster in the race what do you think regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 16-10-2013

Jon, rather consider doing aerobic running until the 'soreness' disappears, it is Wednesday today and if the legs are still not right, rather consider 1hr easy running

then maybe put the following session in on Saturday

2 x 2k @ 3.50 per k Rest 90 seconds

followed by

4 x 1k @ 3.40 per k Rest 60 seconds

if you feeling great coming into the last 1k, then you can consider a 3.30 last km

less is better for now, the body is able to run faster than the pace you do the session in, if you give it a chance to recover and don't take too much out

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 16-10-2013

Hi Ed
thanks very much for your post ive just come back from an easy 1hour run and yes i was thinking saturday would be better ill do the session you said to do its great to be home and enjoying life and running stress free dispite been a bit sore everythings good will post again saturday after the session regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 16-10-2013

great .. here's to the legs easing up before the weekend session

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 19-10-2013

Hi Ed,
well thank you for the good advise on the speed work you gave me. It went really well nice and cool this morning so all good. The reps went like this..
2k in 7.37 bpm 172
2k in 7.39 bpm 173
1k reps 3.41 bpm 173
1k rep 3.40 bpm 174
1k rep 3.40 bpm 175
1k rep 3.32 bpm 177

I think I know where my weakness is now no speed in my legs so hopefully the 400s next week will perk me up a bit. I would guess that you would say shoot for 37.30 in the race next week around 3.45 per k so over to you and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 19-10-2013

nice session .. to be honest, we should drop the 400's and do the following session

3 x 5 minutes paced at projected 10k race pace for weekend with 2 to 3 minutes easy

this way we can avoid any calf muscle problems that can come from running too fast on the 400's

cheers

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 19-10-2013

Thanks Ed
will do the session you recommend at race pace but not sure at this point what race pace would be...trying to keep it really.hum not sure.regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 19-10-2013

keep it around 3.45 to 3.50 per k to be on the safe side

Big Grin

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 20-10-2013

Hi Ed
will do just that looking forward to the race the next one will be december as i go back to work for 4 weeks but after that ive got plenty of time off to train and rest feels good.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 20-10-2013

nice going Jon