Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 08-11-2013

rolling hills is a session where the course has hills in them, you run them as normal, you do not work the hills, you just run over them

the pulse will go up however you minimise the effort you put in

it is relaxed effort

this is level 1 when it comes to hills

then you get level 2 which is related to what the hands do on the hills

then level 3 is what the elbows do on the hills

that are all the levels for our running

more on this in the future

TheEd
ps.. the secret is getting results off the minimal and then adding the different elements to get to the next level of results, balanced and 'enjoyable' .. well, enjoyable as only a runner can understand

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 08-11-2013

Thanks Ed,
that's great i enjoyed the session at an easy pace going up to 9% on the incline the treadmill spat out a good profile so onwards on that score.I will try to hit sub 14 mins on the 4k time trial next week and take it from there feeling as though i can handle a good pace so time will tell.nice easy 75 mins today all good and relaxed regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 10-11-2013

Hi Ed,
just wanted to ask about the 5x8 mins at 75% does the 75% relate to heart rate or effort enjoying the build up at this time my body feels relaxed and good so all is well thanks and regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 11-11-2013

during the build up we try not to go too hard on the accelerator, so you could look at keeping the pulse below 165 bpm

however, it is meant to be a session where you able to run faster during the build-up, but not overtax oneself

hope this makes sense

TheEd
ps.. will be interested to see what your pulse correlates to in pace

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 11-11-2013

Hi Ed,
thanks very much for the good info i think i will set my stall out to run around 15k per hour that should be about 160 bpm at a guess but will monitor this..Ive had a resting pulse of 39 this week so not over taxing myself on the basic 1 hour runs.Its all quite fun really looking forward to going home in 4 weeks time and racing on the 15th of december thanks again and regards jon.Wink

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 13-11-2013

Hi Ed,
Just wanted to tupe a few lines about the 5x8 mins i did today which gave me a bit of thinking really..I started out at 16kph which was fine it gave me a heart rate of 160-163 at the end off the rep the next rep i was struggling to keep my heart rate down so i dropped the pace to 15kph although feeling ok i knew that the aim was to keep the heart rate at 165 max..so the next rep became 14kph and finally 13kph until i decided to end the session as i didnt want to tax my system anymore than i should..I checked the temp afterwards it was 35 degress so i will put the rapid heart rate at the reaction to the heat still good to turn the legs over a little faster over to you and regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 14-11-2013

One of the best things you can do in such a scenario is t actually build the tempo up .. start off in 10 to 15 minute segments

warm up pulse going to 140 bpm

then the next 15 minutes moving the pulse above 150 bpm

then the next 15 minutes moving it up to 160

this way you achieving an form of acceleration and everything is under control

TheEd
ps.. I hope everything good your side

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 15-11-2013

Hi Ed,
thanks for your last post yes it will be a good approach for next time i do it..Would you say its better to do another week on base phase to make it a total off 3 weeks as i will be wanting to push on when i get off off here for say 3 to 4 months off been on cycle racing etc..it seems like a good idea to complete the whole 3 week cycle what you say boss lol.?Wink

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 19-11-2013

Hi Ed
just wanted to say ive done a time trial on a treadmill which was a bit crazy to say the least.The boat was rolling around but putting my best foot forward i gave it a go running 3k in 10.42 before almost stumbling and falling off lol.To be honest i was struggling so only did the 3 k so at least ive got a measure to where i am now..so its a 45 min easy run today then on to cycle...I think you will tell me to run the 2k reps at 3.45 per k and 3.35 for the 1k reps the rest is straight forward regards jon.Wink

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 19-11-2013

what you can do is up the easy run to 1hr and not become to 'strict' about running fast on the mill

so 3.45 should be a good roll

and then enjoy the ability of simply running

TheEd