Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 07-12-2012

Hi Ed,
thanks very much for your post.I think yes certainly would like to stick with the program and yes break free of an old mind set of how to do things,i feel some what difficult about what ive wrote didn't mean any form of disrespect in your programs, after all you are very kindly providing a fantastic service.What does go though my mind as an example is this...say you have a runner who spent 3 months on his program then goes back to base training...completes then goes back to his program to start the cycles for another 3 months can you point out to me where the progression comes in because it seems like a repeat cycle but not really going forward in terms of stepping up to the next level as 3.18 per k would probably be too hard for most over 2 k reps to start with.so at a guess you would start back maybe 10 seconds a drift,3.28 etc..how would it fair out if you were to focus on 5k pace first and move towards 10k pace closer to race day..with the mental edge that your actually running faster then you need to early on and feel more comfortable at 10k pace later...not knowing the science of the program i can only put my thoughts on the forums again i would like to say your thoughts and time are greatly respected on this and how the adaptations take place best wishes and thanks jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 07-12-2012

Hi Jon, I have formulated a response here, I placed it on TheEd blog so that it can be referred to more easily in the future

The post: Your starting point and future reference

your questions are pertinent and they do affect the runner who has more experience and is often concerned when not seeing the starting point, the progression and the end result. So fire away

I hope the post is helpful, as I am thankful you got me writing, I have been meaning to add such posts for a while

the url link - http://www.time-to-run.com/theed/10k-training/your-starting-point

over to you

TheEd
ps.. I quickly wrote that now, so it may come out a little jumbled before further editing
pps.. by the way .. in case you have not seen the Program Tips

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 08-12-2012

Hi ed,
thanks very much for your time i am sure we all will benefit from the good information.A nice read and easy to understand,I for one am guilty of not been patient so hopefully everyone else out there will take heed of the good advise and follow the program accordingly will sign off for now and thanks.Smile

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 09-12-2012

Hi Ed,
just wanted to give you an update on a few things,firstly i would say thanks for more in depth explanation of how it all works,with regards to the 4k time trial think i must have had an off day so i wont read too much into that..My main concern was when is the transition made to start working at sub 33 training,i know we touch on this a few threads ago and your recent update on the website has cleared these questions up so thanks for that..on to training i will be doing the 5k pace run next Sunday so i will use a local 5k race to do this think it helps to be pushed on a bit..The rest i wont burden you with as its just day in day out training...Only one small thing ive decided to run the 1k reps Tuesday as i feel i will need the rest of the week doing basic 1 hour running if i am going to throw a time down next Sunday. Dont think this is a big issue personally good to be a bit flexible wouldn't you say?well that's all for now hope i can go sub 17 next weekend and press on with the training regards and thanks jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 09-12-2012

let's see how it works out, in a future post I will explain how the program aims at achieving not only 'compensation, but 'super compensation' so that we control when we feel good for events etc

so for now .. onwards and forwards

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 11-12-2012

Hi Ed,
think ive just jinxed myself managed to pull my abdutor muscle only slightly but enough to stop me in my tracks for a few days had some treatment and feel much beter this morning as i had a muscle relaxant injection in the groin which was a bit sore to say the least nearly as bad as those 2 k reps lol.so at present i hope to start maybe 30 mins jogging thursday and see how things are maybe the inforced rest will be good as well as i feel pritty tired any way well thats all for now best wishes jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 11-12-2012

Not nice news Jon .. please let me know how it goes

Thanks

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 12-12-2012

Hi Ed,
thanks for the thread looks like i will have to go easy now..I will try 30 mins jogging tomorrow and take it from there i thought my body was comfortable with the training having said that i was pushing the reps a little bit so i got my deserves looks like an easy week now and look to get back training next week not too worried as i wont race until January the 13th now so that's all for now and thanks for the sympathetic ear best wishes Jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 13-12-2012

Jon .. we will get there Smile

:jive:

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 13-12-2012

Hi Ed,
just to let you know that after 3 days rest i feel allot better ive managed a 35 min easy am and another 40 mins in the evening no pain or reaction at all,I will be going out to do maybe 45 mins this morning its beautiful at present in Thailand nice cool breeze at 6 am and sun rise etc not to be missed have to enjoy the cooler weather while you can.I cant help but think if i can use Sunday as a steady run as there is a 10k and a 5k I know its soon after a muscle pull but been a race alcoholic is not easy for me to give up the ghost. At the end of the day i could start slow and pick up pace hopefully get a good session out of this and try and get back on the cycle next week.Well that's all for now best wishes jon.Big Grin