Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 13-08-2014

you can consider doing a 2 week build-up where the focus is on aerobic

no stress

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 13-08-2014

Lovely job so is that 1hr runs per day and follow the build up program on the website.Took a rest today and enjoying the down time thanks Ed regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 13-08-2014

yeah .. that should be suffice

try hover around 140 even if you feel it is slow

mid week 2 you should find the pace for 140 bpm speeding up

hope this helps

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 13-08-2014

Hi Ed,
Thanks for that 140 bpm nice and easy.will see how the pace is regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 18-08-2014

any runs at the lower intensity yet?

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 20-08-2014

Hi Ed,
i have some feed back for you with regards to build up heart rates and future plans to race.Firstly i will start with the build up i have one week under my belt and feel fine with it.Heart rate/pace ranges per k range from 4.55-510 on the trails @140 bpm tarmac and road 4.35-4.55 per k 140bpm.Depends on the terrain and time of day with the heat.i find that i can take up to 15 mins before the balance of 140 bpm is stable. Moving on to the build up my feeling is to extend the duration to the end of next month as there are no races and i plan to race next 30th November.This is prime time to run the better times as its a lot cooler to run.I would hope to keep the build up going until the end of next month which would give me two further months to get in shape for late November and December January best times to run fast..What i would like to do if you approve of the 6 week build up is try to run the 5x8 mins at say 4mins per k so i am not totally loosing my speed as this has happened before.looking forward to your thoughts regards jon.Smile

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 20-08-2014

after the first 3 week cycle, consider doing a 4k time-trial

this assists in establishing a marker as to where you are now

then the 5 x 8 minutes can be given to you at a pulse range and you should then get a per km marker etc

this is so you can see the direction of your development

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 21-08-2014

Hi ED,
Thanks for the feed back. What I would ask is do you think 3 weeks would be enough on build up?? As I know in the past 6 weeks on build up kills my speed off big time I know it will come back but if I was to hold something while building the base would be a bit more relaxed about it regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 21-08-2014

if you do the 4k time-trial before you start the next 3 week cycle it will serve a a marker, then you do another build-up cycle and you can do the 4k again, to see how things are going

from my experience using the programs over the years, the athletes come back stronger and whereas they are not as 'sharp' they are stronger and when they do the 4k time-trial it is often a similar time to when they were doing speedwork

the return to the 2k session is tough however come the 1k session and the athlete starts moving to the next level

everything is progressive, however the secret is in establishing consistency

on we go

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 25-08-2014

Hi Ed,
wanted to type a few lines on what we discussed about the build up. As shown the aerobic base is my weakness which is been dealt with. I feel pleased and happy how things are moving on. I think I would like to add a steady state run into the build up every week nothing too strong but just enough to keep some speed in my legs. Also the 1.15 run I would like to push out to 90 mins .Now that work is on the horizon I will relax do the training and plan to be in shape November time when its cooler and ideal to run quicker. All in all just to say thanks the games on.:jive: