Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 08-01-2013

Hi Ed,
thanks very much for that i changed my days over this week by doing the 400s yestoday and an easy 10k today am..I was going to do 30 mins tomorrow and rest Thursday 6x1min Friday and jog 30 mins or rest Saturday..What do you think?? Just wanted to ask what you think i should do after the race as ill will be doing my last race on the 27th i would like to follow the cycle but only have two weeks in between,i would guess that you would say two days easy long run the on to the 2k reps and follow on for the first 8 days the scale things down towards the race,last chance for me to run faster really as i know and partly look forward to a bit of a break,I weighed in at 69 kg the other day that's alot lighter then ive been in a long time,i usually balance around 73kg but feel fresh again after extra rest day last week.Again i wanted to say thank you for your advise and taking the time to listen i know sometimes i zig zag with my training but doing my best to follow the cycle and get into a pattern..I can tell everyone else but don't do it myself...to that end i am pretty raved up for Sunday so hopefully i can find a little extra best wishes Jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 08-01-2013

that should run you down to the event quite effectively

straight after the event provide feedback and we can then say what to do till the 27th thereafter

so the training will depend upon the feedback

cheers

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 09-01-2013

Thanks Ed,
will be intouch after the weekend then regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 13-01-2013

Hi Ed,
just wanted to give you some feed back on how things went yestoday,i got 2nd overall the winner was 10 seconds in front so had a good race,39 mins so was please as there was alot of soft sand to deal with..I was strong until about 5k and thats where the gap formed it took me until 7k mark before i could respond and close the gap was a bit strange really the bad patch came on and i was in trouble.I happen to know the guy who won runs 33 mins on the road so i felt like so of the old me is till in there.I wanted to ask what you thinks best to do for the next two weeks until i race on the 27th on the road?going to do a couple of recovery runs today and tommorrow and take it from there regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 14-01-2013

Hi Jon, this is good, the fact that you were able to come back over the last 3k is a good sign, as normally being on the Build Up you don't have the speed to go out quickly in the beginning, so there is always a drop off after a number km if the person has started too quickly according to the amount of 'speed' training they have done.

So there are a lot of positives to take out of this .. good stuff

now as for the 27th, how seriously do you want to take this, as we can have the variation of TEMPO runs or we could consider a 6 x 1k session on Thursday (which to me is not necessary)

so depending on your response we can plan forward from there

Cheers

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 15-01-2013

Hi Ed,
As this is going to be my last race for a while before going back to work i would like to do what you think i should do,in turns of not over cooking it.Gut feeling tells me i need to do a longer tempo for sure as 5k was the flash point in the race where i slide back.If you think the 1k reps is too much then ill back off with them,i cant really see to much improvment over the next week and a half so not sure..I am prepaired to do what you you thinks best.Ive ran Two recovery runs so far this week is the next session speed work or a longish run 15k or so.Basically would like to try to run close to 35mins next week so if less is better ill defo go for that approach,speak soon regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 15-01-2013

now now .. Wink .. don't put pressure on yourself, go out there and enjoy the race

you would have a drop off during the race if you go out too quick and this will be a result of doing no paced work

if it is your intent to get close to 35 minutes then a tempo run of 3.35 to 3.40 per k for 6k on Thursday could give you a measure of how the race should go

if you want to do 6 x 1k on a measured route then it would be a 3.30 per k

My own feeling on this is that you have got into a good space and you wanting to put yourself back into the 'cauldron' instead of going out, giving it a go and being content with your progress and moving forward with the knowledge that there are good things to come.

If you are able to go to the race and no matter what the result is (and not be hard on yourself) .. then it is fine, you will need to decide

Cheers

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 15-01-2013

Hi Ed,
nice thread lol yes i like to burn myself all to often ive been this way probably longer than i remember,so lets get a tempo in and the 1k reps 6k Thursday at 3.40 per k great.I think the tempo runs seem to give me the push forward as there's no rest involved.Could i ask about the easy 10k runs extra 3 times per week?Should i keep doing them or nip them back??Ill press on with the rest of the week and drop you a few lines around Sunday if that's OK sure your busy enough with out having to here blow by blow accounts of my train harder not smarter regime just kidding thanks again.regards Jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 15-01-2013

nip them back .. less is better to provide freshness

enjoy

TheEd

Confusedurf:

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 19-01-2013

Hi Ed,
looks like i am in the wars again cant run at present think ive got Metatarsalgia which came 3 days after last weeks race i think wearing minimalist shoes is the cause so hopefully get some treatment Wednesday and get going soon,i don't think next Sundays race is on now but will keep you posted regards jon.