Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 08-02-2015

Hi ED,
Just wanted to type up how things went in the race today.
I had a bit of a shock actually as the race started at the foot of a duel carriage way which lead on to a massive climb over a 2k stretch bridge I could feel my ears popping only kidding it was very steep. I managed to hang on to the race leaders and took my share of throwing the pace down at 5.25k turn around we hit 18.20 so was going well considering the uphill climb at 8k I slipped back to 3rd place and maintained it to the finish which entailed climbing the bridge again for the final 2.25kilometer was a good race for me today finishing in 37.56 so came away feel very happy and looking for a flat course now. Will have a few easy days and plan a flat course at the end of the month. All in all really pleased how it went regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 08-02-2015

nice going Jon

what's planned for next?

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 09-02-2015

Hi ED,
Planning on going back on cycle after a few easy runs. Did 30 mins easy this morning and taking it from there. A lot of races on at present but trying to pick my way through what's worth running in. Yesterday was great but not ideal for putting a time down. Half thought about a shorter race and a longer race to mix it up a bit. My gut feeling is to roll through another cycle push the times down and leave my options open at the end of the month. Don't think I need to do the double runs on week two and three as things seem to be gelling nicely without the extra stress. My weekly mileage is not more than 40 miles per week at present but I think you would tell me not to worry about the distance so much and roll through the program. Looking for 7mins to 7.10 on the 2k reps over the weekend. All for now regards jon.Wink

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 09-02-2015

Hi Jon, stick to the same pace for the 2k and 1k session and lower the Rest for the 1k session, on the Saturday, look to push the long run distance up by 20%

then in week 2, look to do your runs around 145 to 155 bpm, these should still be easy however it allos you more leeway

on the Saturday (week 2) where you have the paced run, look to do 1hr up to 160 bpm

will be interesting to receive the feedback from this

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 09-02-2015

[quote=JonathanWardley]Hi ED,
Thanks for your reply and just wanted to say i understand what to do with the 1k and 2k reps also 20 percent increase with the long run.What i am a little bit unsure about is the pace for the 1hr pace run is this a tempo run at say 3.45 per k or am i getting things wrong here?looking forward to this regards jon.Sorry after thought i think 4 mins per k will be around 160 bpm so will look at holding this pace for the 1hr.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 10-02-2015

Hi ED,
just to say made a quick recovery after the race and on to the cycle in the morning 90 min run to get things going all good looking forward to this regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 10-02-2015

onwards Big Jon

Big Grin

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 14-02-2015

HI ED,
wanted to update on this weeks training had a few easy days after the race and ran 90 mins mid week nice and easy but left me a bit tired. I ran the 5x2k this morning after a rest day yesterday as I was still feeling tired.
so this is how they went 1)6.57
2)7.04
3)6.57
4)7.07
5)6.51
the slower reps where into a slight head wind so quite pleased how it went.
so 6x1k next will try and keep them at 3.15 and cut the recovery. I really think things are starting to happen. My only problem is to find a 10k as all the races are at odd distances but will keep looking for something suitable regards jon.:mmm:

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 17-02-2015

Hi ED,
Just a few lines from my last update about the easy runs they are working out at 4.30 per k at 150 bpm so wondered what you thought about that?will update again after the 6x1k reps.planning to race on the 8th now so got a bit more time on my hands too get all the training in regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 17-02-2015

Hi Jon, if your pace for 150bpm is 4.30 per k, it could equate to a 35 minute 10k, then you can take into consideration the heat etc

however, you will be having paced runs, so that will allow for a higher heart beat

so

the easy run does have a purpose and there is no need to push the speed up

let's see how the 1k session goes

TheEd