Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 29-01-2013

great .. nice to hear things are coming round again

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 31-01-2013

Hi Ed,
i wanted to you your thoughts on training..As you know i had a 10 day lay off were i cross trained.since then ive been running a few easy fifty minute runs to play things safe,I don't want to get to carried away with myself and start a cycle with the injury coming back..So would you say its best now to run easy a few more days or go onto a build up phase as i dont think there is an races i would want to do until march time really cant decide whats best to do..regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 31-01-2013

Jon, it is your choice now, what date in March will you be racing?

depending on that date it would be no harm to do the 10k program now

you could do a 4k time-trial to see where you stand currently and then I would optimise the sessions accordingly

so, over to you

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 01-02-2013

Hi Ed,
ive given things thought and i would like to take your advise about doing the program for a number of reason really,It may be possible for me to do two cycles before i go off working which always slows progress down anyway,So what i thought was if i plan to race maybe the 24th of feb gives me a few more days before going on the cycle and do a time trial..I think the 10 day off cross training will have done me good,the foots on the mend i can feel it less every day so no more minimalist shoes for me,I will do the 4k time trial probley Sunday or Monday and go from there as the next run afterwards will be up to 90 mins if my memory serves me right,starting to memorize the cycle which is good i enjoy it.. Not much more to add at this point apart from ill be in touch with a 4k time think ill have to take it on the chin a bit as i don't feel too much of a good times on the cards but its a start..so speak soon and regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 09-02-2013

Hi Ed,
Just to give you an update on how things are going..I wanted to do the cycle as planned but i realized my foot was not quite right and felt i couldn't run fast so with a bit of head scratching i decided to run 3 weeks build up which is fine my foots improving and at least i am getting the miles in. Ive got another week to go then hopefully do the time trial and start back on the cycle that's all for now regards Jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 10-02-2013

thanks Jon, here's hoping the foot clears up nicely and that you don't lose too much of the good work you have done

onwards and forwards

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 11-02-2013

Hi Ed,
I tested the waters this morning by doing a 5k tempo run i ran 18.37 or 6 min per mile felt fine and no problem with the foot so considering i ran 1hr 15 Saturday easy and 40 mins yes today this is as good a chance i would say to jump on the cycle now..What you think?? only not sure what you think about the extra runs to bump the miles would i be best doing less for the first 3 week pass?All in all very pleased this morning look forward to hearing your thoughts regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 11-02-2013

no reason not to jump straight into the cycles and simply take more rest than normal, for example, rest days after the quality sessions

over to you

TheEd
ps.. so this coming Thursday would be Day3 the start of the 2k session, all we need do is discuss the pace, working from the 5k time you ran, what pace do you think the 2k session should be?

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 13-02-2013

Hi Ed,
Ive crashed and burned can you believe it i went out on a 30 min recovery jog and sprained my ankle so looks like i am back to the drawing board unbelievable but true...hopefully i can get it sorted quickly but judging by my luck probably not speak soon when i can walk again regards Jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 13-02-2013

things will work out .. compensation problems sometimes can arise, be a little patient and you will be up and running sooner than expected

good luck

TheEd