Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 29-02-2016

Thanks ED,
Can stop second guessing myself now and just soak up some distance.Looking forward to Sunday, going to do the 10x400 this morning a session I never do really so should be good.
Thanks again for you feed back will post a time Sunday all the best jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 01-03-2016

Jon, I think you training intensely for a total of 6 weeks is your max

you need to plan around how to train and race within those 6 weeks and then do a week off and 1 week build up

you reach a level and then crash, we need to plan things whereby you come down before you crash

doing this will create the blocks you need to improve

ask questions for clarity

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 01-03-2016

Thanks ED,
And quiet an eye opening observation you have!
Thank you for that! I can't argue a single word of it.I think to avoid this problem i will look towards two races in the 6 week period from now on!
Then as you say rest a week and then on to build up.
Sometimes you just dont see it in yourself old habbits!

So to go forward shall we say finish the cycle race then take a week off or very little then go to 2 weeks building some miles!
Work is something i can work around now as they have good treadmills i can use and the work scope is easy also!

Feel as though i have been very lucky to get back to a nice level this time training above my level!

Any pointer you have for me now will be greatly appricated I just want to do things right.Thanks and regards Jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 01-03-2016

Hi ED,
Is it diminishing returns that you feel is hitting me after the 6 week period? As said before i over looked this i was thinking heat, age and not well messured courses
But I can see what you are saying as i never take the slow boat to regaining fitness!
Thanks again for spotting this will get this race cracked and plan an easy week!
All for now ps race is 5 miles so hopefully be ok.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 02-03-2016

you wee sharp, and then very quickly you went off the boil

this can often be due to not enough aerobic 'seated' in you

however, in planning things, you need to plan an easy period before being forced to do so

it will come right

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 02-03-2016

Thanks ED,
Shall we say get sunday out the way and move on to the rest period then?

Looking back at my notes i see That i have not done a build up in a long time.In affect i had been running on bare bones milage 30 to 40 miles per week max..

Really pleased you spotted what was going on as i had reached a point where i simply though age was catching
up with me! Feeling happy now that it's possible to go forward again.
Will post a few lines how the race goes sunday thanks again jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 06-03-2016

Hi ED,
Just to say ran well today dispite some dirty tricks been bowled my way.I won my race but was disqualified due to a marshall sending me on the 12k race course there for missing the turn for the 7k!
I was going well reaching 5k in 17.30 but realised things where not right when i saw the next marker at 8k.

I backed off the pace and just ran easy for the last few k.
Anyway going to go on down time this week and look to start a build up after that!

Sad really when you get out of your bed 2.30 am only to get ripped off!
Not the first time or last i dare say that's all for now regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 09-03-2016

Hi Ed,
Just to say on the off period this week and think i am right in saying that next week move to a two week build up?
All for now regards jon.:yes::yes:

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 13-03-2016

Hi ED,
As you know I went on a down week of very easy running
Monday off Tuesday 40 mins Wednesday 40 mins Thursdays off Friday 40 mins Saturday off and Sunday 45 mins easy.

I thought that I would feel fresh and full of running this is not the case at all.
Not sure what is going on now but hoping its a passing phase as I have been taking it easy!
My idea is to do a full 3 week build up now and just take it easy.
Any thoughts on this will be appreciated regards jon. :mmm:

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 14-03-2016

a 2 week build-up should be sufficient, do the last 2 weeks and then onto a 4k time-trial

hope things start feeling good soon

TheEd