Running Information Forums
coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: coming off base phase/when to up the pace. (/Thread-coming-off-base-phase-when-to-up-the-pace)

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 29-05-2016

Hi ED,
Wanted to post an update how things are going.
For the last 10 days ive been doing easy running and just getting use to the heat really very relaxed running.

My take away from all this is that running at desired pace in these condition are a very diffrent world to running on a treadmill in the air condition.
It's taken 10 days to be comfortable with the heat again and feel good to put in a time trial at the end of the month before going on the 3 week program.
July is a big month of top races so will look to be going well for these events.
There are other event later in the year which i want to do but have to balance the work and training life style.October been the world masters in Perth.!
I wont say too much as bad luck has stopped me in my tracks before so opting for the slow and steady approach.
will update again with a time trial time at the end of the month.
All for now best wishes jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 31-05-2016

Hi ED,
nice start to the day with the time trial 13.45 for 4k so not too bad as the last week or so has just been getting use to the heat again. At the mo I am 76kg bit heavy and pleased to go under 14 minutes as the conditions are tough.
Think its an easy run tomorrow then on to sub 35 10k training plan.
all for now jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 11-06-2016

Hi ED,
Just to say working my way through the program well.Think you missed a few of my posts but nevermind hope all is well with you regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 13-06-2016

Hi Jon, back on things again, good to hear that training going well

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 13-06-2016

Hi ED,
good steady approach ticking all the box so that is a reassurance. One question that I do have is the heat adjustment for the speak work?

I know that I loose time over 85C approx. 8 seconds per k going off a heat adjustment calculator I found online. Do I still need to keep my 1k and 2k sessions at desired race pace as I am not sure this is optimal for me in the conditions.

I found that I can run the times 3.20 per k on the 1k repeats and 17.30 for the pace run but not sure what the real value of this is in cool conditions.

The old problem I have is the 2k reps I've tried them as 1 mile repeats before and tempo run as the effort is as mentioned as hard as a race.
other then that might try a 5k race on the 26th June try and push the 5k times down first. And go from there. All for now regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 15-06-2016

Jon, drop the pace by 5 to 10 seconds and watch your recovery pulse, if your pulse drops to below 130 before the rest time is up, then start the next 2k or 1k

this way your body will be telling you what you can cope with, without trying to push the pace too hard

hope this makes sense

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 16-06-2016

Thanks Ed,

makes sense to me what your saying. Think I will dust the old heart rate monitor down and give it a go. If your wondering why I don't use my heart rate monitor it all came about after reading an article on cardiac creep.

must admit I have seen that on the long runs where my pulse goes up and up mainly due to heat and terrain that I train on trails etc.

will slow my efforts down to 3.20 per k and see how we are looking all for now and thanks for your help on the question I asked regards jon.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 20-06-2016

how things going Jon

onwards

TheEd

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - JonathanWardley - 21-06-2016

Hi ED,
Think i am back in shape now i did the 1k reps at 3.20 per k and recovered ok after 90 seconds at 140bpm..My take on all of this is the weather...if it's hot i stuggle and my heart rate is up.other days i am on the charge.

I am trying to get a place for the marine 10k local race very big field over some tough terrain but a good race all the same...
Heat and humidity is the enermy here and causes questions about how the training is going.
Other then that moving forward dispite been 75kg..Oh fatty fatty.

coming off base phase/when to up the pace. - TheEd - 21-06-2016

dont increase the pace of the 1k but instead start lowering the Rest time towards 60 seconds

this will give you further benefit to the session

all sounds good

TheEd