Running Information Forums
Starting with 10k training program - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Starting with 10k training program (/Thread-Starting-with-10k-training-program)

Starting with 10k training program - zerobyte - 02-07-2008

Hi

Thank you very much for providing such useful information on 10k training.
I am now starting my off training 2 weeks program as mentioned on the web site.
Would you please tell me what kind of heart rate should I be targeting in the easy/relax run and easy run?
Some info on myself.
I m 38 year old with resting heart rate of 37 and been doing regular triathlon training 5-6 days a week total 8-12hrs each week in swim/bike/run for the last 5 years.
My best 10k time is 42mins and wish to lower that to sub 40mins if possible.
Now just been taking 3 weeks off from my major race and just completed day 5 in the 2 weeks off training program as shown in website.

Thank you very much again for your great help

Starting with 10k training program - TheEd - 02-07-2008

Hi zerobyte and welcome

first off, may I ask whether you have been training previously on the 10k program and now you on your 2 week off cycle, please?

Then regarding your pulse, I will need to gather a little more data about you before venturing towards giving pulse ranges for your easy runs, we should achieve this quite quickly though.

May I ask whether you are doing the 10k training towards the triathlon or whether you will be doing the 10k training only for the 10k, because if you training for triathlons it is not advisable to train on the 10k program but to revamp the program to accommodate triathlon training?

Will await your reply

Thanks

TheEd

Starting with 10k training program - zerobyte - 02-07-2008

No I have not been previously training at the 10k program but is using the 2 weeks off as a starting point.

I m training for 10k in triathlon not just 10k run races.

Thank you very much for your help

Starting with 10k training program - TheEd - 02-07-2008

Thanks zerobyte

then it will need to be a different approach to the 10k training

could you please provide me with your weekly routine for your other training, when you do your swimming sessions and what cycle training you do, please?

Also add when and if you do gym work

Thanks

TheEd

Starting with 10k training program - zerobyte - 03-07-2008

Here is what I do in a week

Mon, AM - Rest, PM - Run track work 1hr medium, Swim 1hr hard
Tues, AM - Swim easy 45mins, PM - Gym 1hr, Spin Class 1hr medium
Wed, AM - Spin Class 1hr easy, PM - Run track work 1hr hard, Swim 1hr easy
Thurs, AM - Swim easy 45mins, PM - long ride 3hrs
Fri, AM - Rest, PM - Pilates 1hr medium
Sat, AM - Run long 1.5hrs, PM - Gym 1hr, Spin class easy 1.5hrs
Sun, AM - Brick 2.5hrs hard, PM - Yoga 1hr medium

Mon/Wed nights and Sun morning are club training where I trained with a group

Starting with 10k training program - TheEd - 03-07-2008

Hi zerobyte

here is the revamped schedule for the Triathlon

01 60 to 70min easy distance
02 30min easy run
03 start with 5x2k R90 0min 00 (0.00 per k) to discuss
04 Rest
05 easy run - 'time on feet' up to 1Hr only
06 Brick 2.5hrs hard
07 easy day of 20 to 30min running - relaxed
08 am. swim easy
pm start with 6x1k R60 0min 00 (0.00 per k) to discuss
no spin session
09 AM - Spin Class 1hr easy, PM - no running, Swim 1hr easy
10 AM - Swim easy 45mins, PM - long ride 3hrs
11 Rest
12 5K paced run - aim sub 00:00 5k discuss pace
13 1hr to 90min easy distance run max - no brick ride
14 AM - Swim medium 45mins
15 start with 10 x 400m R 60 400/00sec - discuss pace
16 AM - Spin Class 1hr easy, PM - no run, Swim 1hr easy
17 30min easy 6x1min fast with 1min slow - 1min @ Race Pace - discuss
18 Rest
19 Race day up to 15K or Tri
* easy recovery after race. 30min - 1Hr
** 2nd easy day after race. 30min
*** final easy run after race would be Day 01 of program

Please discuss this schedule, the main emphasis is on getting the quality rides in. In triathlon training the most important aspect in swimming and cycling is technique. For swimming get a technique coach more than anything so that you learn to swim correctly and smoothly. In cycling, how you sit on the bicycle is most important and learning to spin correctly is most important.

Also note that is you spin incorrectly it stresses the leg muscles, SPINNING is meant to be cardio so you have to get this right

If you like you can try this schedule for the next 3 weeks and then we can see how you adapt to it and then modify it from there, running definitely enhances your swimming and cycling, unfortunately there is no substitute for running.

I look forward to your feedback

TheEd

Starting with 10k training program - zerobyte - 05-07-2008

Thank you very much for your detailed plan.

My current 10k ability is around 45mins and my pb is 42mins. I m aiming at sub 45mins or sub 48mins off the bike in a tri race after these 3 weeks of training. What should then be my speed for the interval or fast pace training?

Should I still follow that off season 2 weeks plan and build up plan in order to re-establish the base? If so, what kind of heart rate?

In spinning, when you mean cardio, does it mean I should not felt much strain in the muscles after the training? and I should be focusing more on cadence rather than heavy resistance?

Thanks again for your great help.