Running Information Forums
Some Question Regarding the Training Outline - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Some Question Regarding the Training Outline (/Thread-Some-Question-Regarding-the-Training-Outline)

Some Question Regarding the Training Outline - John3:16 - 29-07-2008

Hello everyone.

I'm about to start the sub 40 program and have some question about several of the training days detailed in it:

1. There are several days in which the training is "start with... " What does that mean? Is that the whole training or should something be done afterwards?

2. Are the numbers after the R's in seconds?

3. What does the red P mean? It's not in the legend.

4. Regarding he Fartlek training on day 17. Does it mean an easy run of 30 min, and then running the intervals? Are the intervals meant to be 1 min at race pace, and then 1 min slow?

5. What does "time on feet" mean? Is it just like any other easy run, except for an hour and a half?

I've got a race coming on which I'm really excited about, so I'd appreciate any help.

Some Question Regarding the Training Outline - TheEd - 29-07-2008

Hi John3:16

and welcome. In reply to your questions

warm up and then start with the pace given, in the sub 40min program

you start with 5x2k R90 7min 50 (3.55 per k)

the R is for Rest and your 90 is for 90 seconds rest

the red p stands for a 3000 speed equivalent session

for the Fartlek session, do a light warm up and then do the 6 x 1min fast at prospective race pace then with 1 min easy times 6 .. this is a low damage session and is more psychological .. often runners get carried away before a race and this is to limit the damage they can do 2 days before racing .. with time it becomes an important boost before races as it becomes a routine the runner becomes comfortable with.

'time on feet' is exactly that, the distance is not as important as simply spending the time on feet, with progression the time covered will relate to further distance run .. this is part of the progressive nature of the program according to the runner adaptation

I hope this helps and please ask any questions that you may consider will help achieving your task

If you are unsure of your fitness, do a simple 4k test on a 400m track and provide the time you run, then we will give you the pace for the sessions according to that time-trial

Cheers

TheEd

Some Question Regarding the Training Outline - John3:16 - 30-07-2008

Thanks a lot, Ed. I'd still like some clarifications about one thing, the Fartlek:

I understand the part about running a minute in race-pace, then running an easy minute, repeat six times. But:

1. Is that it? A 12 minute run? or should that be done after a 30 min easy run?
2. "Race-Pace" - I guess that means under 4:00/km, since I'm going for the sub 40 min challenge. My point is, even with a 30 min easy run before hand, it sounds pretty easy. Is that how it's meant to be?

Thanks again.

Some Question Regarding the Training Outline - TheEd - 30-07-2008

Hi John3:16

a 10 to 15min warm up routine and a cool down can give you a 30 minute session

the race pace is for the distance you will be racing 2 days later

so if it were a 5k you would do the 1min fast a 5k pace .. same for 10k .. etc etc

this is meant to be a psychological boost before the race and you should finish wanting to race

Cheers

TheEd