Running Information Forums
Half marathon training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Half marathon training (/Thread-Half-marathon-training--1055)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Half marathon training - Héctor - 01-05-2011

Hi TheED,

As you already know i've been visiting your site for more than a year now, reading all the interesting information and many of the threads, but I think I should present myself. I'm from Uruguay, 41 years old, and been running since september 2009. Soon after I ran my first 10 k in around 51 min. Last year training on a 3 days per week basis I was able to get a 41:37 9,75 km race, which is my best performance up to date.

This year I began doing 2 cycles build-up, and then two cycles of your sub 40 plan (two hours long run), with a may 8th half marathon in mind. At the end of each cycle i've done instead of a race 14 km (1hr. 4 min) and 15km (1hr 9min) paced runs, though not very sure if I can maintain that pace for 6 more km.

Now I'm in the third cycle, but I'm a little worried because I wasn't able to do all the runs (i did the 5x2k on friday 22, around 8 min the first 2, then i had to take longer rests in order to complete de others that took a lot more 8 20 and almost 9 the last one), then I did 2h long run on sunday and 6x1k on tuesday (between 3:52 and 4:10 the last one). I wasn't able to slot in the easy runs in between and did only a 12 k easy run last friday. Yesterday i couldn't run, and today it looks like is going to rain all day (besides being very windy). I was planning a 10k paced run.

So i ask you what do you recommend for my last week before the half.

Half marathon training - TheEd - 02-05-2011

Hi Hector and officially welcome Wink

the foundation of the program is the 2k - 1k sessions and long run and if you have been able to do those you will have got the necessary development in

you overall development will be about getting the consistency right however you have come a long way in the last year .. congrats

as for your last week .. Week 3 of the program is quite easy so that is always a good schedule to use before the event

what day is the event, Saturday or Sunday?

Cheers

TheEd

Half marathon training - Héctor - 02-05-2011

The race is on Sunday at 9 am. I will have to wake up early as the race is in Punta del Este, 140 km from were I live. So I'll try to follow the regular schedule for the 3rd week of the cycle. Thank you for your comments.

Half marathon training - TheEd - 02-05-2011

OK great .. commitment is good Wink

Rest on Saturday

Friday - 6 x 1 min fast with 1 min slow

the 1 min fast is at Sunday race pace with 1 minute easy in-between .. the idea is to feel ready to race after this session .. it is a mental preparation session

from Tuesday to and including Thursday you can do light easy runs .. your training for Sunday's event is complete

Hope this helps

TheEd

Half marathon training - Héctor - 08-05-2011

Hi TheEd. Completed my first half marathon in an (unofficial) 1h 37 min. 56 secs, a little over the time I was expecting (1h 35min.) but it was very windy today.

Half marathon training - TheEd - 08-05-2011

congrats Hector, that is a fine start

what have you got planned for next?

of course a few days recovery and enjoyment and then some more plans

yes?

TheEd

Half marathon training - Héctor - 08-05-2011

I'm not decided yet. There is a marathon on sept. 11 but i don't think I'm ready for the 42k. On august 14th there's another half, here in Montevideo. Maybe this is more feasible for me. I don't feel very tired now, I mean no more than after a 10 k, even though I only slept 5 hs., and did 2 140 km trip by bus on top of 21.1 km running.

Half marathon training - TheEd - 09-05-2011

WoW Hector, extreme dedication so as to run a race .. well done

have you any local 10k races etc that you are able to run?

recover well and enjoy the feeling

TheEd

Half marathon training - Héctor - 09-05-2011

My official time is 1 h 38. I think I stopped my watch and running beneath the finish arc, and the electronic sensor was a couple of meters farther. Yes, there are 10ks to run. Do you think after a little rest I shall begin with the cycles, let's say next week?

Half marathon training - TheEd - 09-05-2011

yes hector, do the 10k cycles as I am introducing a new set-up for marathon training only for those who have done and progressed through the 10k cycles

this is not an ordinary marathon training program

please ask more questions if need be

enjoy the days off

TheEd