Running Information Forums
Midweek Run - Plan Advice - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Midweek Run - Plan Advice (/Thread-Midweek-Run-Plan-Advice)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - SlowMow - 06-06-2011

Hi TheEd,

Firstly, let me say a big thank you for your training programmes. I have recently completed my first cycle on the sub 40 minute programme and reduced my 5K PB from 21:11 to 19:44 on a windy day (there haven’t been any local 10Ks recently).

Could you give me some tips on how best to juggle the programme so that I get the benefits for a race that I have coming up? I have a corporate event with a 5.6K run on 7th July (a Thursday). Would you recommend I start the programme as usual tomorrow and then extend it by an extra week + a few days to get to Thursday, or should I have a gentle week this week, starting the programme next?

In terms of background, the intervals for my last cycle went like this:

5x2K (15mph wind, too much to drink and not enough sleep the night before)
AVG MAX Rest
00:07:47 168 173 130
00:08:12 164 169 127
00:08:05 160 166 123
00:08:05 160 166 125
00:08:15 160 165 122

6x1K (much better preparation, fairly windy in places)
AVG MAX Rest
00:03:49 164 168 125
00:03:48 162 169 131
00:03:52 162 168 137
00:03:45 161 169 136
00:03:47 162 167 138
00:03:43 163 169 139

I have been taking a walking rest between reps, moving up to a slow jog about 15 seconds prior to the end of the rest, is this okay?

Let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - TheEd - 07-06-2011

Hi SlowMow and welcome to the forums

you certainly seem to have something to work on

first off, you can start the program as per normal this week so you able to get another full cycle in, however at the end of this cycle there would be no need for the test and then you repeat the last week of the program before the event.

stick to doing a repeat of the sessions - 5 x 2k & 6 x 1k as before

no need to go faster and it can be a relaxed standing recovery, maybe a sip of water (recommended) and preparing the mind

when you first start on a program the excitement can generate extra energy, so do not be alarmed if you feel more tired during this cycle

hope this helps and over to you

TheEd

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - SlowMow - 07-06-2011

Hi TheEd,

Thank you for your speedy response, unfortunately I appear to have been a bit of a fool. After a long run at the weekend I had a minor niggle in my left hip which while it felt better today, after two days off running, was not completely healed. Stupidly I decided to run in the work handicap race today, which with hindsight, was a big mistake. As a result I have a very sore hip which hurts even when walking. Baring a miraculous recovery I doubt I will be running for a good few days.

This is very annoying as I was looking forward to seeing what I could achieve in the 2K sessions this week. However, I am hopeful that the combination of anti-inflammatories and rest should enable me to start the cycle next week. This would still provide enough time for the 3 week cycle + 4 days.

Lesson learned today, listen to my body :duh:

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - TheEd - 08-06-2011

when runners start out on a program they often become excited without monitoring the caution button

hopefully you able to recover suitably from the niggle

TheEd
ps.. if you did do the 2k session, it would be highly recommended NOT to speed up but more to duplicate the previous session, then your body will be given a chance to absorb the training

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - SlowMow - 08-06-2011

Guilty as charged m'lud. :whistle:
I have been taking too much pleasure in my new found ability to run sub 4 minute k's.

The hip appears to be responding well to the anti-inflammatorys, if the improvement carrys on, I would hope to run a very gentle 3-5K either tomorrow or Friday, with a view to starting the programme again next Tuesday.

As for speed, last time round I was aiming for just under 4min/k pace on the 2K intervals, which on recent form I would expect to be achievable, are you saying that I should aim for this, or what I managed to achieve (say the average of 4:02/k)?

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - TheEd - 08-06-2011

stick to what you achieved the last time, especially for the 2k session

for the 1k session we can chat further about that when getting closer to the day

you must try relax and not test yourself on your easy runs but develop the ability to train relaxed

best to run with someone slower than you on easy runs

being on a program which creates consistency brings results, no need to continually test and push yourself

hope it all becomes smoother

TheEd

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - SlowMow - 13-06-2011

Thanks for the support TheEd, my hip is vastly improved, I managed ~8K on Friday and ~13K on Sunday both at a nice gentle pace of around 5:20 per k without any major hip problems.

As a result, I intend to start the programme tomorrow (Tuesday) as is usual.

I'll let you know how I progress, especially after the 2K intervals on Thursday.

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - TheEd - 14-06-2011

good to hear but still maintain caution

cut the runs by 20% and go through the cycle for the day 3 to day 8 with the 20% less attached

please ask questions for clarity

TheEd

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - SlowMow - 18-06-2011

Hi TheEd,

Sorry for the delay in my response, I have had a very busy week at work, but also quite an eventful one of the running front.

On Tuesday I attended a running workshop which I found incredibly worthwhile. The main thing I took from it was that I have been running from the hip, without engaging my hamstring. Armed with a number of drills to improve this I have set about changing my form with this in mind. This and some other minor adjustments enable me to run at the same speed for less effort and seems to be considerably more gentle on my hip which I still feel on occasions. However my hamstrings are still getting used to what is being asked of them!

Tuesday and Wednesday went as normal ~55 mins @ 5:11/k and ~30 mins @ 5:08/k. However, Thursday’s intervals were tough, I lacked the stamina to complete the set in the target time of 4min/k. As usual I started too quickly, which I really must get under control. During the 4th repetition I lost it both mentally and physically and while I got it together mentally for the final 2K, I just didn’t have the strength in my legs to run at race pace. I suspect the combination of a strong wind and the new running style didn’t help here, but in the main I am not too disappointed.

Time Avg HR Max HR Rest HR
00:07:47 169 172 125
00:07:59 167 173 126
00:07:58 165 172 120
00:08:15 166 171 122
00:08:16 164 170 120

As for this weekend, due to family commitments I will have to do my long run tomorrow (Sunday) instead of today, I will be aiming for 1.5 hours, so around 11 miles.

Any recommendations for Tuesday’s intervals?

Midweek Run - Plan Advice - TheEd - 18-06-2011

before giving the pace for Tuesday please provide feedback as to how things are going come Monday and then we can prescribe the pace

due to the change in form etc you may pick up aches and pains elsewhere

so hopefully this isn't the case and you can continue as normal come Tuesday

enjoy the rest of the weekend

TheEd