Running Information Forums
When to start program? Need advice. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: When to start program? Need advice. (/Thread-When-to-start-program-Need-advice)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

When to start program? Need advice. - kilroy - 29-05-2009

Agree Ed.. Still learning and developing, think things will fall in place further on if I keep on training.

think there will just take some time to be a runner since I started running last summer Smile

feels good the know that I am spending my hours on a good program and not wasting sessions by just training on my own since you have a great experience! Thanks!

As for the months to come you know I will be racing 30k in late September, my plan is to add distance with start in June. Will check performance in at least one 21,1K race (5th Sept).

So is it possible to tweak program to 21,1 distance or how do you think training should be done?

Will for sure run 10k again.. late August or mid Sept. Will check race calendar for other to.

Have a great weekend /Kilroy

When to start program? Need advice. - TheEd - 29-05-2009

Hi kilroy

if you maintain the 1hr runs where you can and then increase your Sunday run to 2hr runs and every 2nd cycle do a 30k run instead of 2hrs you should cope

TheEd
ps.. sometimes the 2hr is sufficient, the idea is to build the distance up slowly so that it slots into your training

When to start program? Need advice. - kilroy - 29-05-2009

Thanks,

Do you mean 2h run every Sunday or just as in program once every 3rd week (day 5)? And, should I continue with the 400s,1000s and 2000s?

BR /Kilroy

When to start program? Need advice. - TheEd - 29-05-2009

you maintain the 10k training program

only increasing the long run to 2hrs or 30km (increasing to that distance slowly to avoid injury)

you can consider doing 90 minutes on alternate Sundays if it makes you feel more confident

TheEd

When to start program? Need advice. - kilroy - 04-06-2009

Hi Ed.

Raced 5k road race yesterday in my hometown. Didn´t feel as prepared with training as wished since I have been little sickly last 1,5 weeks.

Although, felt good during the Monday fartlek. Rested Tuesday.
So back to race:
700 competitors at start, escaped the crowding and had a good start. Quite ascent first 2k, then a big downhill. Flat last 3k.. but headwind and crowded (10k runners started 25 min earlier - last 3k same track).
Found a good track and don't think anything affected my time.

3:43 (167)
3:58 (174)
3:51 (176)
3:51 (180)
3:39 (181)

time 19:10
avg.hr 175 (max 184!)

This time I didn´t look at my realtime heartrate and pace, raced listening to my body and the result was a higher avg.hr then other races. And my max at 184 is also a lot higher than before. My max is 186.

BR /Kilroy

When to start program? Need advice. - TheEd - 04-06-2009

things will get better kilroy as you will begin to believe in your ability and the ability to deliver

this is great progress as you are learning to race according to effort which is determined by you

I am sure there is a great deal more to follow and you must keep believing

sickness and injuries can occur however you can control how the mind responds to these down periods

How are you feeling now health wise?

Cheers

TheEd

When to start program? Need advice. - kilroy - 04-06-2009

yes, seems right to "learning to race according to effort which is determined by you".. will keep on working on that.

have improved times in every race so I think training is making results.

had a little sore throat again this morning.. not much but. otherwise feels good.
must get rid of the throat stuff once and for all.

looking forward to be back in full training again..

When to start program? Need advice. - kilroy - 12-08-2009

Hi Ed!

How would you advice to best prepare for the Lidingö 30km 26th of Sept from now on? Thinking och Stockholm half-marathon as a good quality session on the way (5th of sept).

Been doing 2-3 run sessions/week last 4-5 weeks, a little down- period.
Long run last friday, 25 km. Did hill training yesterday and 6km bricks Monday (after 30km bike intervals).

Think it would be good for my confidence to a couple of long- runs and also some hills. What about paced (long-)runs..?

Will aim at sub 2.25 on LL30.
1996: 2.38
2008: 2.29

We have about 6-7 weeks to prepare.

Thanks in advance!

BR /Kilroy

When to start program? Need advice. - TheEd - 12-08-2009

Hi kilroy .. have you done any 2hr runs as yet?

and how into the 10k schedule are you, what training have you been doing related to the program, please?

TheEd

When to start program? Need advice. - kilroy - 12-08-2009

Did a 2.07 run last friday, before that a couple of 60-90 min runs.
Not much of intervals done... More hilly sessions during last weeks.

So.. related to program 45-60 min runs, easy 30 min runs and 90 min runs.. added hills.