Running Information Forums
10k rases and weight training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10k rases and weight training (/Thread-10k-rases-and-weight-training)

10k rases and weight training - beatule1 - 04-01-2009

Hi there!

I hope i can get some advice..

My one year goal - 35min./10km.
Best personal so far 44.28min. I know it's a big gap but i have a year.

I had a break in running for about a month as I got ill and then Christmas time came.... :yes: I did a few easy runs, but can't count it as proper running, but was doing weight training 3 times a week.

Here is my questions:

#Can i combine my running with weight training and still reach my goal?
I love weights and i can't give up it. I train 3 times a week - full body workouts, different excercises -for diferent days. Training for endurance, power and strength...Doing superseting, triseting, plyometrics..etc.

#Would it be enough to run 4-5 times a week to reach my goal?
I Could do 3 hard running days and 2 easy as these would be after or before my weights..

#Would it be posible to readjust the 10km Programmes that it would suit me?
I really like these programmes, i trained for sub 45min. and reached my BP, but it took lots of time and couldn't do my weights..Smile

My next run is on 24th of January - 3G race!

Thank You!

10k rases and weight training - TheEd - 04-01-2009

Hi beatule1 and welcome

sub 45 minutes to sub 35 minutes is indeed a massive hike and we would consider it rather wise to set your long-term goal on 35 minutes and your short term on achieving sub 40 mins, this would be a far better realistic approach to achieving targets to start with.

As for running less, I think you would have to be a total natural athlete who can run sub 20 minutes for 5km without training to consider running less to achieve goals. And to achieve sub 35 mins you have to be able to run 17 mins for 5k off hardly any running.

There is no substitute for running and no amount of cross training, weights or other will make running any easier.

How would you like to approach things from here onwards?

TheEd

10k rases and weight training - beatule1 - 04-01-2009

First of all thank you for reading my post..Smile

well...:mmm:
i gues i have to agree with you..Smile

and i agree too that my first goal should be 40min.

As my first race is on 24th i think it will be somewhere 45-50min. as i had a brake...?

Also is it posible to train in similar phases? as for example tuesdays to thursdays and saturdays do hard training days and the rest of the days - easyer

will my weight training affect my running? should i decrease it?

thank you!

10k rases and weight training - TheEd - 05-01-2009

Hi beatule1

the programs have been devised to achieve results while establishing a training pattern, the sub 45 minute program is truly a minimum in comparison to what needs to be done to achieve sub 35 minutes

If you want you can break the sub 45 minute program down to where you can shortcut by removing certain training sessions, we do not recommend you tamper too much with the period between Day 3 and Day 10, the most important sessions take place, with emphasis on Day 3 - Day 6 - Day 8

during this period the supplemental sessions are important if the runner wants to develop to coping with the progressive nature of the programs

So how you alter the program around those days is your choice however training on the program is to achieve a result and if you tamper with the nature of the program so if you tamper with the program then you can't expect results as a 'definite'

When you mention weight training, is this training to achieve bulk or lean strength?

Till later

TheEd