Running Information Forums
Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? (/Thread-Mental-hurdles-Or-just-the-heat)

Pages: 1 2 3

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - Madmick - 23-09-2011

noted, thank you!

:mmm:... and why is that 2K session harder than the actual 10k?

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - TheEd - 23-09-2011

because a race event always (and should always) stimulate a different energy and added to this the added energy of competition, the competitors and the overall excitement makes the occasion a great deal easy than slogging through the 2k session on your own

and if you gain the benefits of the cycle you are more prepared for the race than the 2k session being part of your training routine

all good though .. we train to race

and racing is great

TheEd
ps.. wow .. that was waxing it Wink

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - Madmick - 25-09-2011

Played the match... We won 2-0. Took it easy at the back in the first half, but pushed up front and worked harder in the 2nd. Next time I might slip the gps watch and HR strap on to see what kind of data it produces. Be interesting to see what you think of it and how much of a benfit towards the 10 k it is.

Lots of stretching and ice at the end watching the RWC.

Up for the light 30 you recommended the next day. A little tight in the hams but got through it comfortably and was very enjoyable, the temperatures becoming more and more comfortable this week.

More stretching and ice planned for today, very relaxing and more RWC... Come on Scotland!

If feel good in the morning think I will try the long run. Otherwise will keep it short and get the long one done on tuesday morning???

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - TheEd - 25-09-2011

long run on Tuesday would be better .. the light run after the footie was aimed at improving recovery

10k training will most definitely assist your footie however due to the stop start nature of the game it does not have the same amount of benefit for the 10k

should help with mental fitness Wink

enjoy

TheEd

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - Madmick - 27-09-2011

Football on Saturday, followed by two easy 30's on Sunday and Monday. Tuesday afternoon got out for the long run. Hamstrings were still tight and a little sore and was low on energy but turned into a pleasant experience. 1hr 30 minutes, just under 17km.

1,5:49
2,5:23
3,5:27
4,5:19
5,5:30
6,5:24
7,5:08
8,5:05
9,5:05
10,5:07
11,5:24
12,5:32
13,5:15
14,5:42
15,5:26
16,5:20
17,4:11
Summary,1:30:07, 16.77 Km, Ave. pace 5:22, Ave HR 32, max 147

Now Wednesday morning and feeling ok, just a little stiff in the lower back. Am behind schedule because of the game. Should be day 8, 6*1K's, but am saving that for tomorrow. Planning a short 30min run today in the afternoon.

Any advice where and how I can or should make that day up?

Cheers,

Mick

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - TheEd - 28-09-2011

Mick you can't make the day up

simply try to get all the sessions done in the next cycle

enjoy

TheEd

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - Madmick - 30-09-2011

Completed the 6*1k session last night. Felt good, but suspect I'm going a little too fast, particularly to start each interval.

When I'm running, my mind set is better is faster for these sessions, is that accurate?

Hoped to complete all the sessions, but as i planned for day 19 to land on the day of my race, something's got to go from the remainder of the program. Is a rest day, an easy day, fartlek, or 5k timed the one to go? Particularly next week, I'd like to make sure I'm rested/ready going into the race.

Here are the splits, ave HR and max HR from the 6k session:

1. 4:01 141, 148
  2. 3:56 143, 152
  3. 3:58 147, 154
  4. 4:02 149, 156
  5. 4:05 150,156
  6. 4:08 150, 159

Any comments would be most welcome.

Easy 1hr tomorrow, then supposed to be a rest day though may try to 'catch up' with the 5k paced if all feels good.

Cheers,

Mick

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - TheEd - 30-09-2011

Mick, in the next cycle we will get the pace right and everything, so when coming to the 6 x 1k you train at the given pace .. it will all come together

stick to the cycle and then we change the last few days before the race, if the race is on a Sunday

so this is what it will look like

Wed: 30 to 40 min easy

Thur: 30 to 40 min easy

Fri: 6 x 1 min fast / 1 min slow

Sat: Rest

Sun: Event

please ask questions if clarity is needed

Cheers

TheEd

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - Madmick - 30-09-2011

Thanks for the prompt reply... Friday night, lying on the sofa no energy at all. I think yesterday's session took a lot out of me. I could probably do a better job of replenishing fuel, but not great at counting calories and all that...

When you say the next cycle??? As race day is next Saturday morning I was planning on another 19 day cycle...

So tomorrow, Saturday, will be a long one hour. Sunday is scheduled to be a rest day, but might try the 5k if up to it, otherwise that is for Monday...

If I shift your last week suggestions back a Dayton start Tuesday, that is me covered and missed only the fartleks session as listed in the program.

That sound reasonable?

Mental hurdles... Or just the heat? - TheEd - 30-09-2011

apologies, I thought you were having your race on the Sunday

so simply remove the one day of 30 to 40 minutes

Wed: 30 to 40 min easy

Thur: 6 x 1 min fast / 1 min slow

Fri: Rest

Sat: Event

cheers

TheEd
ps.. for the next cycle, try to have day 1 on the Tuesday .. things can only get better