Running Information Forums
Improving 10k with regular training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Improving 10k with regular training (/Thread-Improving-10k-with-regular-training--154)

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 04-02-2009

Hi Ed,
I started running on my own last September. First running 3k and then improving till 11k last week, but always with no training schedule.
I use Nike+ to record my runs e control distance, time and pace. But no HR monitor. I'm also used to running 35k to 45k a week and my average pace of 5:08 per k.
I got interested in following one of the training programs of website. So, what do you recommend? I thought I could start with the sub 50min 10k.
My PB's are: 5k (24:47) and 10k (51:19).
Any additional information, feel free to ask.
Tks.
MMS
Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 04-02-2009

Hi and welcome MMS

would you like to consider doing a 4k time-trial, please, so that I have something to work from and then we can see whether it is indeed the sub 50 minute program you should begin with

Over to you

TheEd

ps.. we like the program to start from a Tuesday so anytime between now and Sunday would be a good time to do the 4k

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 04-02-2009

Hi Ed,

I'll take the 4k time-trial and give you the feedback ASAP. How would you like it? Only the total time or 1k partials? Is it important to race on a track? I don't have one close to home, but since I'm traveling this weekend I can go to one that's close to where I'll stay.

Do you think that using a HR monitor makes a difference on my future improvement?

Tks again!

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 04-02-2009

It's up to you MMS

either track or road .. if on track the 400m splits would be great and if on road then 1km splits brilliant

no stress time-trial it is so we can assess fitness and build on

Thanks

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 09-02-2009

Hi Ed,

I ran the 4k last friday. Here the results: (1k split)

1. 4:59
2 4:54
3: 4:45
4: 4:50
Total: 19:30

I didn't run on the weekend, so how should we start this week?

Tks!

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 09-02-2009

Hi MMS

you are not quite ready to train on a sub 50 minute program and we would recommend that you first use the Prepare for first 10k schedule

http://www.time-to-run.com/beginners/first10k.htm

once you have gone through that routine at least we know what kind of training you have been doing and we can build on that

This would be the best approach

you can still provide feedback here and you should soon be ready to go on to a sub 50 minute 10k training program

Thanks

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 09-02-2009

Hi Ed,

tks for your feedback! So, I was reading the schedule of the First 10k and thought about starting it today. Ok?

Of course I'll keep providing you with the results during this preparation phase. Your help is most welcome!

I also ordered a HR monitor, and when I get it here with me, I´ll start giving you more data to help me.

Tks again.

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 09-02-2009

Great stuff MMS

look forward to mapping your progress

enjoy

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 10-02-2009

Hi Ed,

as day one, I ran the 50 min. I tried to run on a easy rhythm. I felt good all the way.
I covered the distance of 7,6km.

Now I ask: was it too fast, too slow?

back to you.

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 10-02-2009

That looks fine however it changes from person to person

as a 'loose' rule of thumb

If your personal best for 10km is 50 minutes this works out to 5 minutes per k

for an easy run you should add a minimum of 1 minute per k to your pace, so you should be running easily at 6 mins per k

however for an athlete starting off on a routine, it is best to go as easy as possible due to adapting to the continual exercise of weight bearing which running is

so easy way is the 'talk test'

you should be able to talk to someone while easy running

I hope this helps

TheEd