Running Information Forums
Can i mix running and football? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Can i mix running and football? (/Thread-Can-i-mix-running-and-football)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 11-02-2009

Hi the Ed,
My goal is to run a sub 40min 10k, the problem i have is that i dont have the "free time" to complete the Training program to do so, the story is that i cant run on 1 day a week, (Wednesday) and i play 5 a side football on 3 other days,Mon,Thurs and Sat. I tried starting last week with the 70min easy distance on Sunday(to allow the rest day to fall on the Wed), then on Mon done 30mins easy before playing 5s for an hour and on Tues done the 2000s well off pace (5x2k@ 8.35,8.35,9,9and 8.50)
So basically,im saying, can i count my 5 a side as running or not and if not could the program be adjusted to accomodate my football as im finding doing both a struggle, even at this early stage.
My normal 10k times were 44min 10 - 44min 17.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 12-02-2009

Hi stevie

were you able to gain anything from this post

http://www.time-to-run.com/forums/showthread.php?p=370#post370

we will try to work out something for you

So is Wednesday the only day you play footie?

Cheers

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 12-02-2009

Hi,
No, Wednesday is the only night i cant run, i play footie on Sat, Mon and Thurs. ty.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 14-02-2009

OK .. Stevie

what I would need to know is whether you would like to benefit your football or prepare for a 10k or somewhere in-between?

All can be provided

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 14-02-2009

Hi Ed,
Im looking to improve my 10k time and get as near to 40 or below as possible but i want to continue playing my football as well.Im feeling the benefit in my football from my running anyway.
Im currently on day 8 of the Training program towards a sub 40 min 10k but some nights i cant fit in the schedule for my football. e.g. Day 5 longest run "time on feet" 1 hr 30 mins, came on the Thurs night when i was scheduled to play football for 1 hour at 7.30pm, so i ran to my football (5 miles, 35mins) then played for an hour.Felt brilliant.
Having read through the schedule, the problem i have is that i can't run on a Wednesday and the day after seems to be the "hardest day" which doesn't suit as it falls on the football night.
Am i doing the wrong thing by taking on this training program and if so, what should i be doing instead to get a shot at a 40min 10k?
Thanks for your support and advice, its much appreciated and this website is brilliant!!

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 16-02-2009

OK .. Stevie

the sessions that will benefit you the most are the 2k and 1k sessions

also the idea to get up to 1hr of easy running over a weekend

so have you been able to do any of those 2k or 1k sessions?

It should be quite easy to juggle those sessions around, with 1 quality session a week and then 1hr easy run over a weekend

that would be all that would be necessary to start with

once you begin to adapt to the recovery after the 2k session in particular we can begin to add supplementary runs

what say you?

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 17-02-2009

Hi TheEd,
This is the first time i've tried this schedule and im really enjoying it, i ran the 2k sessions well off pace as i said and i ran the 1Ks on Sunday, at times of 4mins,3.55,4.02,4mins,4.05 and 4.30.
I completed the 1hr running (day10) tonight with no problem at all, covering approximately 6.5miles (haven't tracked it accurately yet)
So on the info i've given you can you suggest a schedule for me as i feel that if its written down and i know what i should be doing then i'll stick to it better.
Thanks again for your support.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 18-02-2009

Stevie .. all you need do would be to slot in the following to your normal week

Week 1 .. the 2k either on Tues or Thurs and an easy 1hr on the weekend

Week 2 .. 1k session on Tues or Thurs and an easy 1hr on the weekend

Week 3 .. you can do 10x400m according to pace and an easy 1hr on the weekend

that 3-week cycle can be fitted in with your footie schedule

if you want more accurate times for your sessions then we would need for you to do a 4k time-trial

hope this helps

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 19-02-2009

Hi TheEd,
Yes it helps immensely, im due to do a 5k time trial tomorrow anyway, so i'll post you my time and we'll take it from there but i think that'll be fine. I'll try the cycle for a couple of weeks and get back to you and let you know my progress/ lack of it LOL. Thanx again.Smile

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 19-02-2009

Hi again,
I pressed a 5k tonight and came in at 20min 46secs,or broken down to each kilometer was:3.52,4.08,4.10,4.15,4.21.
Can you give me a rough guide to the targets i should be aiming for regarding the session times from this please.Thank you, i'll get back to you after i complete the cycle at least once, thanx.