Running Information Forums
Can i mix running and football? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Can i mix running and football? (/Thread-Can-i-mix-running-and-football)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 15-08-2009

It hasn't been that long yet Stevie .. hopefully things improve a great deal quicker for you

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 30-08-2009

Hi Ed, ran a 10k race on Sunday, got 42.42, rib seems to be okay, not getting any pain from it, but obviously because i've not been able to do my usual amount of training then my overall fitness is down. Ran the 10k today which i was hoping to press hard but im miles off pace at the moment and i'll have to slowly get back on track.With missing my footbal (3 times a week) and my sessions, i've dropped back in pace and stamina and found both last week and this one extremely difficult.(43 min + )
As i said before, i have registered for a run next week also, so i will run it then take some more time training and building up to get back to at least where i was before entering any more.
Thanx for all your help and gr8 advice...i'll b back. Cool

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 31-08-2009

pain free, how long was that in total?

I can recall to when I damaged my rib and it seemed an eternity

Cheers

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 08-09-2009

I missed 4 weeks, done absolutely nothing,total rest, no exercise at all and also done light duties at work.I ran that other 10k at the weekend there at 43.54 which was same time as last week, im not going back to my football on a Saturday, but instead im going to run a 5k which is held every week at a country park near me.
I'll start this week and not run too hard, then i plan to slowly increase my times as i hopefully get fitter and i'll also get back to doing my sessions midweek when i feel that im ready for it.

This year has been a misery as i only set aside three races and got injured 4 weeks before the 2 main ones.However,i progressed from 44.27 (this time last year) to 41.11 (May) and even carrying an injury improved on my time from last year with Sundays run, so i cant be too disheartened, but i am...mainly because i know that if i stayed injury free for those 4 weeks, then i would have been knocking on the door of my 40 min target.

I'll be patient and build again and let you know how its going in due course, thx Ed.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 09-09-2009

good stuff Stevie .. keep looking forward

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 13-09-2009

Hi ED, did my 5k on Saturday as planned, felt good, legs a little tired (probably because im just getting back into it) but no aches from my rib and i enjoyed the run.Wink
My time was 20.23 which i was pleasantly surprised with.
I'm going to leave my sessions for another couple of weeks until i feel that im back to "where i was" and i'll start pressing my times again, but i'll still be doing the 5k every weekend.
I'd rather be patient than dive in and injure myself again, so slowly does it and i'll report back in due course, Cheers.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 14-09-2009

nice going Stevie

good to see there is something there

enjoy

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 08-12-2009

Hi Ed, Long time no "see" Wink
I've been doing very little running due to work commitments but now its its time to get serious about getting a sub 40min 10k.
I've been doing the odd 5k run on a Saturday, clocking around 20-21mins, which i've been enjoying as my son has been doing it also.
Anyway, i can fit a session in during the week, (Tues) and run on a Saturday (5k). What distance should i be doing my sessions at?
The last ones i done were, 10x400@86 R60 one week, followed by 6x1K@4mins R90 which were done at 90% effort id say.
Theres no 10k races till next year so i have plenty of time and would like to peak in May, what should my target time for a 5k be,and how often when i run on a Saturday should i be pressing? i.e. Should i run hard every week or every 2nd week etc??
p.s. I've got faith u r goannae take me under 40mins next year!!! Smile

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 09-12-2009

good to hear from you Stevie

well you know the format to achieve anything with the 10k training so try to roll back towards something similar to what you were previously doing

and you know that the 2000's are the strength of this 10k training program

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 04-03-2010

Hi Ed,
Just a quick update....i've been doing a 3x1k session and a 3x2k session alternatively and tying it in with a "long run" on the weekend when possible.
I've been doing a 5k Parkrun every Saturday with my son and trying to get below the 20min mark on the hilly route but not made it yet, however, im fully enjoying my running and feeling good for it.
My last session times were-3x1kR60 @ 3.45,3.45,3.40 and my 3x2ksR90 @ 7.55,8.02 and 8mins. Im thinking of doing a half marathon in a couple of weeks instead of my "long run" and was wondering if i should try and "race" it or just run at a comfortable speed? I usually do a leisurely 13 miles at around 1:50 so i was thinking of maybe starting at 8 min miles and see how i felt after 10 then adjusting accordingly, can u throw your expert opinion here please? Wink
Also, (might seem a silly question) what would be the hardest to accomplish- a 40min 10k or a 1:30 half--these are my long term goals, then of course the 3hr Marathon :rofl: well....ignore the marathon bit Smile cheers.