Running Information Forums
My 21k Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: My 21k Training (/Thread-My-21k-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 23-03-2014

Hey Ed,

I've decided to try and do my 1km intervals tomorrow on a hill. It's not much of a hill but I'm going to try and work it in as much as possible as normally every single route close to me is flat so I guess I won't be busting the times like I did with the 2km intervals!

My 21k Training - TheEd - 24-03-2014

not recommended Ciaran .. stick to the flat for the interval training

as you develop hillwork will be introduced

keep things simple, running on the flat achieves the needed development specific to the training program

whereas your pulse range will go high it will not be sustained in the same way that training on the flat is achieved

this is most important as the program is devised to achieve elements from the core sessions that makes things a success

TheEd

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 24-03-2014

Okay, but I am keen to add hills as soon as possible.

Off for the 1km intervals now then. I'll check back in later.

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 24-03-2014

So, here are the 1km interval times with heartrates Smile

Lap 1 - 5:01.07 - AVG HR - 144
Lap 2 - 5:09.04 - AVG HR - 146
Lap 3 - 5:17.91 - AVG HR - 141
Lap 4 - 5:13.43 - AVG HR - 147
Lap 5 - 5:05.43 - AVG HR - 149

Felt pretty comfy throughout.

Also, I don't think I can make the Saturday session. Should I just use Wednesday as my rest day and do my 5km paced on Thursday and the 10km easy on Friday?

Also, what should my paced 5km target be?

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 26-03-2014

I guess I should have also added a sixth rep to the 1km intervals. I'll do that the next time.

Just out of curiosity, there's a 22km downhill race on the 27th of April that I'd like to take part in. Any way I can work that into my training somehow? My half marathon date is May 11th.

My 21k Training - TheEd - 26-03-2014

you should be able to work it in but 'beware' downhill racing / running can lead to the athlete needing to take a fair amount of time off to recover

try to do the 5k paced at least 3 days after the quality session, so best would be Friday

if you able to juggle things around

TheEd
ps.. please take a look at this article about MMS .. sometimes results can take longer but when they do come there are massive jumps .. so stay patient
http://www.time-to-run.com/theed/inspiration/mms-10k-program-success

Of course I understand the patience and that the times will come. I've seen it myself between my first two half marathons.

I'd just like to try to get activily involved in more races if possible.

With regards to shuffling the days, will I push the 10km to the Sunday instead and push all of next week back by one day? I think that would work better for me. It's tough with the weekend schedule since on Saturdays I normally do a double shift at work which means usually about 12 hours (sometimes more) on my feet.

And I'm not rushing, just eager. I've already seen huge improvements on my times just from the first cycle already. Smile

My 21k Training - TheEd - 26-03-2014

Ciaran .. it was meant to be inspirational not a put down Smile .. so you keep your positive attitude nurtured

move the days around to slot into your needs

TheEd
ps.. do read the article it is beneficial

Ah okay. I will sign up for it as it's a nice scenic run and I get to do it with a good friend (although he's much quicker than me so I won't try to keep up!) and use it as a little lift before the half.

I always do read the articles, they're great. I'm a pretty positive person anyways and for me, a key thing I did before my knee surgery was to break the 5km 25minute mark (I think I did it the week before) so I know I can do it and the way the times are knocking down and feeling good about it I think I can get there again pretty soon. But not this Friday Wink I'll aim for a 26:40, what about that? I'm just going by my interval times and how I've felt after them. I think if I push it flat out I can get that time no problem.

Oh, and again, thanks for all the feedback. I'm much more focused than I was the last time as I have friends that run regularly now too (and my siblings keep sending me their times Wink ) and I also am building towards a Tough Mudder in August. I can't wait for that.

My 21k Training - TheEd - 28-03-2014

consistency leads to results and once results turn into experience, everything becomes easier

onwards

TheEd
ps.. looking forward to your feedback