Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

Sub 35 - jamieh - 10-01-2012

Wow... 16:30 would be so cool. And yes I took 60s rest between the 1k reps today.

I'll keep you posted on recovery, but legs are feeling great this evening after swimming. Will definitely go nice and easy on the 40min tomorrow + 15k on Thurs. I then have a massage Thurs evening before rest on Friday.

Would be great to put down a reasonable 5k on Sat, but as you say I'll try to run it tempo, and not to get carried away.

Thanks again for help so far.

Sub 35 - TheEd - 11-01-2012

what is your 'old' Personal Best for 5k?

chat soon

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 11-01-2012

17:04 is 'old' Personal Best for 5k, that was June last year. I'll be running on the same course (Bushy Park 'ParkRun') on Saturday...

As part of this training programme (which I started end of November) my last paced 5k was 17:10 in December. This was, however, on a very hilly course (Richmond Park 'ParkRun') which almost certainly translates to a sub-17 on the flat.

What race do you have next week?

TheEd

No race next week. Instead I have a 100mile bike + 21k trail run planned for what would be 'race day' on the programme. I won't be running the 21k hard, though. Maybe a comfortable 1:24 or something.

My next 10k race is Feb 12th (which fit's perfectly with another full cycle of the programme).

Does this mean I can run the 5k hard on Sat!?! :-D

that it does .. but do me a favour and start at just under 3.25 per k for the first 2km and then see if you can accelerate

would like to determine whether you are able to kick on

unless the nature of the course does not allow for a reserved approach?

Cheers

TheEd

Awesome Smile

Ok, you got it. First 2k just under 6:50 then I'll open the taps and see what happens.

Course is pan flat so reserved approach should work.

J

grand .. will chat about future race plans as the first 100m of a race can be quick BUT you need to slot into the predetermined pace straight after

so the first 100m quick .. then settle into a rhythm and start taking predetermined pace from 1k on

if you do your sessions on a tartan track then you can practise running hard till the first bend and the settling into a rhythm of the session's pace

even if you a few seconds too quick for the 2k or 1k at least you training yourself for the correct elements in racing

which is about finishing strongly as that always provides the best results

hope this helps

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 12-01-2012

Understood. Fly for the first 100m > then settle into 3:20-25 up to 2k > then (if feeling good) start to kick on for the second half and look to finish strong.

Felt pretty solid during easy 10k yesterday and 14k today (4:10 avg pace for both).

Looking forward to massage and rest day.

Cheers,
J

Sub 35 - jamieh - 14-01-2012

16:35 Smile

3:13
3:18
3:22
3:21
3:20

Weather: COLD (0 deg), misty but still.

So chuffed with the time. Think I am really starting to turn a corner. Legs felt strong start to finish.

In hind-sight I should've been more disciplined for first 2k (as we planned), but it was predictably difficult to judge. Thought I was running at about 60% for 2k but I was listening to my legs rather than lungs I guess (finally I understand what that means).

Anyway, plenty to think about for next time but great to get under 17.

Thanks as always!

J